[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Player count is abysmal. Port over to console.

MatthiakMatthiak
Vindictus Rep: 330
in General Discussion
We are lucky to break 300 players every month, and like 60% of it is bots. In it prime this game was getting 10 times that amount. Black desert ported to console and saw a huge improvement in it's player population. It's time for vindy to expand it's player base.

Comments

• DragonRiderDragonRider
    Vindictus Rep: 2,600
    this belongs in suggestions section. but, i highly doubt anyone in this company is looking at the suggestions section on a north american forum lmao ... your time and suggestions are wasted here my friend.
  • KarijunaKarijuna
    Vindictus Rep: 2,675
    I don't think a port to console would help this old game much. We're lucky if we get to enjoy it another 1-2 years, so the effort needed to port it wouldn't pay off for nexon.
    Also, don't take steam statistics for granted, as not everyone starts the game with steam.
    DancingStarAbyssofthorTwln
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    edited March 31, 2019
    Matthiak wrote: »
    We are lucky to break 300 players every month, and like 60% of it is bots. In it prime this game was getting 10 times that amount. Black desert ported to console and saw a huge improvement in it's player population. It's time for vindy to expand it's player base.

Most people I know, from asking just recently because a friend from vindi who I added on steam said it was "odd" I start the game through steam, don't start the game through steam. It's just anecdotal evidence I know, but I then asked some friends and my guildies and only one other person used steam so there is that. But while steam numbers may not tell the whole story, in truth the game's pop still couldn't be what it once was or we wouldn't have had a server merge right? The game would probably need to have a lot of bugs addressed moving to consoles and I don't know if Nexon has the commitment for that considering all the optimization problems we still have on PC. I think they should have ported in the last console generation frankly, the game is perfectly playable on a gamepad, heck I use one.

Btw, I don't know at what point Nexon threw their hands up and said "It's good enough as it is" but it's a shame they didn't make the effort to optimize the game and keep the engine updated. Apex Legends is running on the source engine and it looks as nice imo as most other modern titles. Not that I dopn't like the character models but imagine how much nicer the levels and characters could look had they made the effort. That in itself could have gone a long way towards recruitment and engagement.
  • SatsueSatsue
    Vindictus Rep: 1,615
    Apex legends, as I understand it, is way beyond modified much more than Vindictus' version of source was.

Also to note with the original post, I and many MANY others I know just plain don't use the steam launcher. So as such, you should take the steam numbers with more than a grain of salt. This goes with any online game that has multiple ways to obtain/launch the game. If you were to believe only steam charts, then FFXIV only has 9,000 average players, and that is WAY too little considering how massive their actual playerbase is.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    The Steam charts are a reasonable measure of population trends, but not total numbers. Regardless, a console port won't happen and it wouldn't save this game. Nexon's poor management and inability to optimize for modern processors, GPUs, RAM processing, and other factors are why this game's population is in the dumps. There's no way they're meeting industry standards when it comes to dev work, and Sony/Microsoft have rigid standards for certification--especially Sony--that Nexon/DevCat just won't be able to meet.
    GhengisJohnXie
  • ReasonablyBoredReasonablyBored
    Vindictus Rep: 1,075
    Yeah all we have now are s3 raids with people, every other part of the game is solo, pretty much 1-90 is solo, at least with this new event there are more boats now, game is better than it used to be but I feel like the changes were made little too late, the guild house is a cool social IMVU like feature but it's not enough, story mode feels more annoying than engaging, just skip us to the boss or have some cool feature where we can bring bot versions of your friends lol

Yes this belongs in suggestion, I'm guessing if they make enough money in the game, they got one guy running it while they focus all their resources on newer titles, nexon mobile is growing fast I hope they also go console direction
  • IntoHellIntoHell
    Vindictus Rep: 990
    Yes please I want vindictus for console and I want it to work on different servers than NA :p
  • AnnazAnnaz
    Vindictus Rep: 1,320
    I’ve been playing since 2012 and have never used steam to launch Vindictus, my friends don’t either.
    Daimus
  • jeddyhijeddyhi
    Vindictus Rep: 1,880
    I do not go through Steam. I do not need that running in the background. I use the Nexon launcher and I even close that after the game starts.
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    edited April 1, 2019
    I've always used steam, at least ever since they took the direct launch option away. I don't like using a publisher's launcher. Just gimme the game and the exe, I don't need the additional crapware.
  • XieXie
    Vindictus Rep: 2,115
    I'm one of those people who tries their hardest to avoid playing through Steam. It gets embarrassing if everyone saw how much time I spend on a game (which is usually in a few thousands). So I play it through the launcher instead.

I usually take Steam's number then double it and that would be my guess for NA's number more or less.

I'm sure we'll still see at least another year since the devs are still outputting content, which, I am surprised and appreciate. At this point, I think it is too late to see a port to console. As much as I would like it to be ported, there are still many issues with the pc version and it'll take a lot of effort with not much guaranteed rewards to port it now.
  • MenrvaMenrva
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    edited April 3, 2019
    Lift region lock, get money. Simple as that.

Leave it locked, game dies faster.

Lag excuse is BS, I'm a closed beta player and I've always played from overseas without issue.
    Xie
  • KarijunaKarijuna
    Vindictus Rep: 2,675
    The region lock is in place because of licensing stuff, and I'm pretty sure that they're not able/willing to get licenses for additional countries, otherwise they would've done it already.
    Xie
  • DzeikorDzeikor
    Vindictus Rep: 640
    I think the game died when rise update hit,many people hated it and still do.
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    Menrva wrote: »
    Lag excuse is BS, I'm a closed beta player and I've always played from overseas without issue.

Not necessarily. If you're playing solo, you usually wouldn't have issues. If you host a party, people over here in the states are likely to experience lag due to the quality of their connection to you as the host.
  • The_VillainThe_Villain
    Vindictus Rep: 1,550
    Dzeikor wrote: »
    I think the game died when rise update hit,many people hated it and still do.

Yeah, that's what really did the game in. While there were a lot very good QoL changes, they really shot themselves in the foot when they randomly decided to nerf all content up to s3. It's one thing to try to cater to newer players, but they went about it the complete wrong way. There were already difficulty settings that made it easy to progress through the game (Literally an Easy mode just for that), on top of a training mode to help get you used to fighting the bosses. I don't understand how anyone could try to defend or justify that when the game basically gave you the the opportunity to get better. If they could just roll this one aspect back, I can almost guarantee that it would bring back most of the community. 8 Man raids aren't really necessary, unless everything got a "Hell" difficulty setting where it'd be semi-near impossible to do the raid. But killing the difficulty of the game to rush everyone to S3 just to milk more money out of the players (which is the real reason why Nexon concocted this idea) when that sharp spike in difficulty hits them wasn't the way to go about it.
  • AbyssofthorAbyssofthor
    Vindictus Rep: 1,345
    edited April 29, 2019
    Yeah, I don't use steam either so there might be a few hundred on the Nexon launcher as well.
  • DaimusDaimus
    Vindictus Rep: 890
    Eight years in game without steam. Actually, I even don't know if steam still support Vindictus.
  • TwlnTwln
    Vindictus Rep: 1,015
    edited May 1, 2019
    Black Desert can afford to port because their game is more updated. Vindictus needs a massive engine and texture overhaul to catch more eyes and preform better

Besides nexon can be worried that vindictus will do a law breakers and die with tons of funds sunk in

Annaz wrote: »
    I’ve been playing since 2012 and have never used steam to launch Vindictus, my friends don’t either.

Same cases for other larger games. Expect they have a huge steam following to .

I don't expect the non steam players to boost vindictus overall numbers massively . Maybe 1k max players
  • havoc23havoc23
    Vindictus Rep: 1,410
    i doubt porting to consoles would do anything inless they added crossplay,what they need to do is get rid of the ip blocks so everybody in the world can play combine all the vindictuses into one and then revamp the game, games like warframe dont have 3 or 4 different warframes around the world it doesnt matter what country you live in you can play with anybody