[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Some Feedback/comparison on Battle voices.

ikeviikevi
Vindictus Rep: 3,670
edited November 28, 2019 in General Discussion
I know there are a lot of folks unhappy with the new voices. I have been trying to give them the benefit of time, but unfortunately Lann's combat sounds have gotten me to the point where I have to mute the game.

I decided to dig and see if I could hash out why it annoys me so much.

While digging I found an old vid of my Lann just doing windmill:

Then I decided to make one with the new voice (same weapon, so close to same speed at least.)

I have decided the biggest thing that annoys me for lann is the large change of pitch. It especially becomes apparent with the overlapping of the sounds.

The last that is hard to show, but I believe the new lann battle voice is louder compared to the crit, or weapon hitting something sounds. (I have no way to figure out if I have volume settings the same/am capturing sounds at the same lvl, etc.)

Anyways I just wanted to share the 2 vids showing the difference. I see there is already a thread in suggestion/feedback, but honestly I hardly ever go down that far in this forum.
http://forums.vindictus.nexon.net/discussion/16118/new-voice-for-characters/p1

Banana500WorldOrigin

Comments

• YagaminYagamin
    Vindictus Rep: 3,580
    Looks like they focused too hard on the emote sounds (which do generally sound good),
    but no where near enough on combat sounds (smash and dodge).

It doesn't help that it is the combat sounds that you will be hearing far more often.
  • KursKurs
    Vindictus Rep: 2,320
    edited November 29, 2019
    I think a part of it is that a lot of people don't like change, I listened to your video and I listened to my characters voices too and I'm at I either like it, or don't think it's bad and think I could get used to it. Sure I miss the old voices too and loved those too but yeah, I think a part of it is people like what they're used to. That and people find it easy to complain. But I think it comes down to some people like it and some people don't. We have to keep in mind "a lot of folks don't like it" could also mean "a lot of people do like it" too and are just like "haters gonna hate hate hate hate", and just don't say anything. To me though, the part definitely for sure like, is that the ranges and types of sounds and voices they added is definitely more than before, and I love the conversations and added character development
    GhengisJohn
  • EmerthystEmerthyst
    Vindictus Rep: 2,690
    or they could just allow us to switch the voices like china but that's wishful thinking :( then you get the best of both worlds.
    LightfellowTwlnBanana500WorldOriginWhiteYukiiLittleAngelGhengisJohn
  • SixthSixth
    Vindictus Rep: 1,400
    Kurs wrote: »
    I think a part of it is that a lot of people don't like change...
    I think, you should stop assuming what others think or telling other people that their opinions are wrong or "not what they think".
    You like it, fine. But don't put words in those other, hundreds (and probably way more) of people who stated their opinion of disliking these new voices. Most of us did bring up very valid points as to why we don't like them too.
    LightfellowTwlnHPDDancingStarWorldOrigin
  • TheDazzIingTheDazzIing
    Vindictus Rep: 920
    People don't like change and they are wrong XD
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    People like change... Heck are entire market is built around wanting the newest, best, etc... You just can't have the change be worse than what they had before. (Or you have to be some crazy Apple fan, then maybe you like bad forced changes ;-)
    LoyalCasherWorldOrigin
  • KursKurs
    edited November 29, 2019
    @Emerthyst
    I think the having an option to change the voice is fine. But for me if it's a creativity decision then I can respect that while others may not. So I have no problem with that *thumbs up*.

@Sixth
    I'm sure other peoples points were valid and logical, and as the other sides points too. That's how it usually is in debates, it's just that both sides don't really respect or listen to the other sides and just make assumption. As for "putting words in others mouths" I'm a bit wary of that, because while you might be right, I've also seen people do mental mind loops to try to lie to themselves and try to justify things. But I'm fine with just saying "okay you're right" but my response then would be, most likely the people who picked the voices, put hard work into finding what they thought was the "perfect voice" for the character out of a long line of people, and the VA's probably put a lot of hard work into making what they thought were the "perfect voices" for us. So given the hard work they probably put into it, wouldn't it be reasonable to show that a little respect and give it a try just because, and just in case I'm right and it's more of people just not liking change? After all, wouldn't immediate disgust amount to "judging a book by its cover" And I'm wondering if these voices are the ones we started with from 2010, would people really be complaining, or would they end up loving them as much as they loved the old voices or the old Korean voices? I'm sure it hurts when people reject your hard work without even giving it the proper chance it deserves.

@ikevi
    And as for the market response... idk... that sounds to me like it MIGHT be one of those fishing for evidence to fit your world view instead of trying to find out the truth from a whole world perspective. Because for me, people stick to their favorite drinks because they know it's something they'll enjoy, people seem to like dubs or subs based on which they see first, I know for me that's true and I get to know as the voices that I hear first as the "official voices that fit best with the character" unless it's a really really really really really really bad voice, which I don't think I've come across yet. etc. etc. There's plenty of times and reasons where people don't like change as well, and ignoring those things.... idk it doesn't seem like we should be doing that.

Yep, I think we should show people that we can be a great community and give hard work its due and not just complain right away but be at least a little more understanding and reasonable.
    Strangerina
  • SixthSixth
    Vindictus Rep: 1,400
    @Kurs
    The world doesn't work like that. Effort alone won't bring food to your table. Regardless of the effort you put into something, if it ends up bad, people won't like it.
    You can work 20 years on a game and end up with a bad game regardless. The time and effort spent on it doesn't matter, only the end product does. And the end product here clearly hasn't been tested properly.
    I give my likes/dislikes if it is warranted based on the end product, because that is what I am interested in, that is what I "consume" daily.

Judging by your answer in that other topic (about which characters you play), you never played high speed lann, nor high speed eira. I dare you to try those, above 80 speed, with slashing high/paw (but even without those, it's just terrible). If you are still convinced that there is nothing wrong with these voices, than I don't know what to say... You clearly hear things differently than me in that case, I see no other possible explanation for it.
    Hearing very high volume screeching yelling over and over endlessly majorly impacts gameplay, and in a very bad way. And these yellings keep overlapping with each other which ends up in even louder voices. It's not tolerable, and I don't exaggerate here, it is really hurtful to the ears.

I can't say whether new evie or belle voice is acceptable or not, because I haven't played them since the update, and even if I would have, my stats are below average on them, so I won't comment on those, because I know that I lack the necessary experience to form an opinion about them. Speed and combat voices are very related in these kind of games, and they should have tested them both with low and with very high speed to make sure they sound alright in all cases..
    LoyalCasherDancingStarWorldOrigin
  • KursKurs
    The thing is though, "good" and "bad" can change on an individual basis, and the same person that thought something was "bad" one day can later on think it's "spectacular" another day.. And how do you "properly test" voices? I don't think you can, because there will always be one side that likes the voices, and another that don't, so in the end you have to just make a choice and go with it. Chances are they didn't go with the original Lann, Fiona, and Evie voice actors because whoever hired them didn't document them so they couldn't rehire them. However, just because they're not the original doesn't mean they're "bad". While they're not the originals, there's a lot of things I do like about what I've heard so far.

There's many things that may affect what we hear and what we both hear may actually be different, based on our speakers, speed of our characters etc. However, like was trying to state, the voice actors, whoever hired them all probably take pride in their work and seemed excited to be a part of the community especially since maybe one or two of them, this may be their start as voice actors, while others have lots of experience it seems. So shouldn't we act like a good community and actually give their effort a fair chance and not fall into the trap of just immediately hating something based on impulse? Given who I am I'm sure I'd still like the high speed Lann voice, but that's most likely because it'd be my first high speed Lann voice if I ever got him to whatever "high speed" is. and I still have the hunch that it's like that for many people. We like what was first, what was original, and that's what we put the voice to the face. However that doesn't mean other voices can't match the face too.

Idk if I responded correctly but what you've said back there didn't really address what I thought but this is my response as how I see what you said. I'll think about it more though
  • XephireXephire
    Vindictus Rep: 960
    Look, most of us don't necessarily understand how business works in stuff like voice acting, but there's enough objectively bad voice clips (in combat) we've heard so far. If they don't understand our complaints, they're just bad developers in our eyes, so they better change the voice clips if they at least got the money to rehire these actors.
    BladeNsoulLoyalCasherDancingStarWorldOrigin
  • KursKurs
    edited November 29, 2019
    That's the thing though, there will be some people who hate it and some people who love it. So who do you listen to? If you listen to the ones that hate it then you might have the ones who loved it go "ANAAAAAARCHYYYYYYYYYYYY! RIOT RIOT RIOT!". And what's "better"? chances are the developers thought these VA's and the way they did it were the best of the best. So if you don't even like their best then how would they know what "better" is. Do they fly you personally to Nexon headquarters and have you make sounds for them so they know what your "better" is? And how can you be sure that your "better" is what everyone else likes.

I'll tell you all what, I'll go through all my characters that I already made and spend more time playing them and listening to their voices now and what I remember, and if I don't say that I hated them on here then that means I liked them. But so far from what I've heard in the conversations and in the mercenary lounge I do like them so far. And I do like it when one of the voice actors who played one of my favorite Anime characters also play one of my favorite video game characters. So chances are if there's ever the elusive Vindi merchandise and figures I'd have them sign it if I met them etc etc. But I do think that the current video game communities might've changed a bit to being haters sooooo... that kind of worries me it's not just what I see here sometimes..... yep sometimes. It would be nice to see more love and not taking sides...ness. And more giving things a chance etc etc.
  • XephireXephire
    I'm not going to waste my time preaching what's great or terrible. Point is, we have all the right to criticize as long as we end up with a valid point.
    WorldOrigin
  • KursKurs
    Yeah, sure I guess so I think. But I hope you got my point too.
  • TwlnTwln
    Vindictus Rep: 1,015
    edited November 29, 2019
    Kurs wrote: »
    That's the thing though, there will be some people who hate it and some people who love it. So who do you listen to?

I haven't been paying much attention to this voice thing. But the criticism I seen was very negative

Besides that - I don't get your point. It's perfectly realistic to include multiple options for voice clips long as Nexon knows C++
    WorldOrigin
  • TwlnTwln
    edited November 29, 2019
    -
  • KursKurs
    the point wasn't being against adding more voice options. The point was about giving the new voices a try, the VA's and the people who picked them probably take pride in their work and some of them were probably excited as it was a good gig for them, maybe even their first. So it'd be a nice to show positive support as a community. After all there's the possibility that the negativity doesn't come from a lack of quality of work but rather than it not being the original voices we're used to and being different. I mean don't you think it's bad if you painted a picture, one that you thought was your best work and people looked at it and just said "NOPE UGLY" and threw it in the trash. However, you know that if people just took the time to actually look at it.. more than an instant or a few days then they'd love it and actually appreciate it and see what you wanted them to see?
    Strangerina
  • TwlnTwln
    Like you said. Some people love it, others don't. That's life.

For example.Would you call Anthem a master piece and try to change opinions? No. You acknowledge the majority isn't happy and try again.

So far I see people mostly against the new voices. Seems to me Nexon should code in a second option simply revert it. There's really no way around that.
    LoyalCasherWorldOrigin
  • XephireXephire
    I have seen many explanations why people dislike the voice clips in Battle. It's well within our right to complain especially if the sound design is maintaining its negative impression.

For example, the worst one I've heard is Eira's Dodge voice. You can go ahead and hear what it's like.

I won't bring my anger in and say how I dislike wimpy people with a forgiving attitude without standards, so I'll say this. Nexon can take our criticism and do their job better in voice direction and rehire these actors. We're just not sure if they'll listen or have the budget and understanding.
    HPDLoyalCasherWorldOrigin
  • KursKurs
    edited November 29, 2019
    I never played Anthem, but if I got the right game, it was something like it was badly programmed. But there's a difference between bad programming and this. I think you both aren't getting my core point. And it's not being wimpy, it's understanding certain concepts. It's not like I'm not able to tell people what I think, or offer criticism or lack standards etc. There was just so much wrong with that sentence. So.... idk what to tell you, you're just missing the core concepts of what I'm trying to communicate. I'm not even sure if you read everything I say or if you're just reading nothing or only parts of it and just filling in the rest with what you assume I'm saying based on stereotypes in your head.

I'll tell you what though, I'm not sure you actually want to debate this with me or understand my point of view. But if you do just let me know and we can talk about it anywhere and then I'll try to get through the impasse
  • XephireXephire
    Apologies, then. But let me go ahead and review what you've said. I can "give the new voices a try", but many of the voice clips have grown to annoy me as I play the game. Delia's shouts are screechy and Miri is a similar case. Fortunately, in my opinion, they produced Belle's voice clips very well and I'm sticking to playing her. Do I believe in your belief about accepting it and moving on? Not really. On top of it all, I'm just a hot-headed individual who searches for the best solution. Like I said, they can redo the voices once they got their head straight and money prepared.

To be clear, also, I'm not complaining because it's different from the original. I just know there's better solutions or replacements.

Once again, I PLAY the game. The experience of the players come first, and no one will change my mind. All I want to do is inform these people that they can do their job better.
    WorldOrigin