[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Rise - Where did the fun go?

KayoAemskeyKayoAemskey
Vindictus Rep: 1,790
edited June 22, 2017 in General Discussion
Yanno what my favorite part of Vindictus was, when I joined the game like, three weeks ago?

Actually getting to yanno, fight things.

Engage in combat? Dodge because I NEEDED to, right? Find space to drink potions, and recover. ACTUALLY PUT THE BAREST BIT OF EFFORT INTO FIGHTING? Because yanno, I couldn't just facetank every. Single. Living thing. By myself. As an unfunded, under equipped noob, expecting to win a contest of DPS against a 50 foot tall lightning spitting earth dragon that can knock me over by *breathing* too hard.

For some sick, twisted reason, someone at devcat had this BRILLIANT idea, right. That every single boss in the game up until roughly level 90 should have about 1/100th of the HP they had before. That it's *fun* to get into a fight with a TOWERING REINCARNATED YETI ZOMBIE, and then kill it in two full combos (barring crits! God help that creature if you score even ONE crit on those smashes.) That it's enjoyable, engaging and most importantly FULFILLING as a player to just obliterate these massive beast with really no effort at all and for basically just as much reward.

It's not.

This game originally attracted me with it's promises of rewarding skill. When I fought Lionotus with my friend earlier this week, it took us almost 30 minutes to kill the guy between the two of us. We were only barely at his level, sporting the 60 gear they give you prior, mostly unenhanced other than our weapons. The boss was vicious, fast, *unforgiving* compared to what we had fought getting there. And when we FINALLY brought Lionotus (and his jock riding shaman friend) down? It felt great. We put in EFFORT, TIME, and some amount of skill. And using this formula, we had found an enriching and fulfilling experience from that fight.

What about this new system facilitates or encourages new players to be good? What growth is anyone going to see with these tiny, 10 second long encounters that do NOTHING to help you learn your character's individual strengths and weaknesses? Why bother learning the difference between Meteor Swarm or Reverse Gravity as an Evie now? Who cares if one is strictly better for most situations. For 1000 SP, you too will instantly kill the boss, his mooks, and his close relatives without any of that pesky seditious "thinking" you might have done prior! Doesn't that make you feel good gamer? You sure killed that big mean nasty guy real good. Maybe the next big bad guy will actually get a chance to throw a singular hit in your general direction before you turn him inside out WITH ONE SPELL.

The way things are now, no one is going to get any enjoyment out of the game. Veterans are going to quit out of unadulterated boredom, and new players are going to laugh at this mockery of what was advertised as a "skill based MMORPG." I don't know how devcat has managed it, but congratulations are definitely in order. They've managed to alienate every single potential fanbase this update could've attracted to the game. Good job guys!

tl;dr this game sucks now, fix it.
Portularkaine757NecrochildLeucosieMintchiChaosetixGewelliriousChickenEvoPrototypemindFlufffyParrotand 31 others.
  1. Weiners?69 votes
    1. Yes, of course.
       74% (51 votes)
    2. No, not right now.
       26% (18 votes)

Comments

• hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Dunno wut's your problem. I like smashing bosses like they're nothing once I've obtained god tier gear.

If you want challenge just try hero mode.
  • KayoAemskeyKayoAemskey
    Great idea! Let me play the *entire* game to level 90 first, then backtrack to the Perilous Ruins area with my level 90 gear. I'm surely getting the same experience as I would've gotten playing through there on a higher difficulty the first time, right?
    PortulHurricane622KinsuruSaintGuinnessPap233EnigmaTaroTenkashiXianShengPiracyQuinquedaws360
  • BladeXAngelBladeXAngel
    Vindictus Rep: 1,805
    havent' level any alt after rise, don't know the equivalent difficulty. but if it's THAT easy, derpcat might as well give us free lv 90 and delete all the previous content up to S3
    GewelliriousXieHurricane622Pap233EnigmaTaroQuinquedaws360
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    You're overreacting to a video game and appear to be immature and entitled. Deal with it like a proper adult and either move on or accept the reality you pretty much are going to play in. Combat is sure unique but there will always be titles that eventually outdo Vindi.
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    The trash mobs used to be filler before the enjoyable battle, now it's all just filler. I guess that's fine for your crowd that enjoys popping bubble wrap.
    KayoAemskeyGewelliriousFlufffyParrotLazutHurricane622SLAMMENING420daws360PlayerOOOl
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    You're overreacting to a video game and appear to be immature and entitled. Deal with it like a proper adult and either move on or accept the reality you pretty much are going to play in. Combat is sure unique but there will always be titles that eventually outdo Vindi.

All he said was that he didn't like the changes because the game is no longer challenging, and he enjoyed the challenge, then went on with some long winded examples.

I think the overreaction is yours alone.
    arkaine757GewelliriousPrototypemindFlufffyParrotVinVinLoLoBootyBoatGodKayoAemskeyZiggyStardustSlothPrincessand 17 others.
  • LeucosieLeucosie
    Vindictus Rep: 2,105
    Sadly op is right
    PlayerOOOl
  • MintchiMintchi
    Vindictus Rep: 820
    edited June 22, 2017
    Dunno wut's your problem. I like smashing bosses like they're nothing once I've obtained god tier gear.

If you want challenge just try hero mode.

But it's restricted to those that are level 90. They'd have to play through the entire game at least once in hopes of not dying of boredom before going back just to try killing some gnolls on Hero.

Also, it doesn't seem to be an overreaction. It's a thorough explanation of the OP's personal experience that others can relate to, and how the changes negatively affected the overall experience.
    KayoAemskeyikeviBoatGodVivieLazutHurricane622LyyndmisakamisakaSaintGuinnesscyreusand 6 others.
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    The new breed of MMO players only want stuff handed to them, so derpcat had to cater to them.

You have no idea how many newbies ive seen quit the game because "it is too hard".
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Question2 wrote: »
    The new breed of MMO players only want stuff handed to them, so derpcat had to cater to them.

You have no idea how many newbies ive seen quit the game because "it is too hard".

I agree with the sentiment of new MMO players, which is why we need more full loot pvp games.
    KayoAemskeyQuinque
  • GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945
    Hello, this is a RPG, you can't act like it's an action game like DMC/Prince of Persia and say : hey, clear normal difficulty first, then you can play "Dante must die" xddd, when it's so far from it.
    Hero gnolls are hero gnolls, they still get ohko, no one cares... even higher raids such as Hero s2 is simply the old 80-90 difficulty that we were already facerolling in 4 mins, hello² nothing changed LOL.

OP is right, and that's a fact but the horny watermelon has a point : just move on to another game, trust me. Myself have been bound to comeback just because I think that "it would get better", when in reality, it just became worse, everyday..

Sadly but surely..
    KayoAemskey
  • MintchiMintchi
    Vindictus Rep: 820
    Hello, this is a RPG, you can't act like it's an action game like DMC/Prince of Persia and say : hey, clear normal difficulty first, then you can play "Dante must die" xddd, when it's so far from it.
    Hero gnolls are hero gnolls, they still get ohko, no one cares... even higher raids such as Hero s2 is simply the old 80-90 difficulty that we were already facerolling in 4 mins, hello² nothing changed LOL.

OP is right, and that's a fact but the horny watermelon has a point : just move on to another game, trust me. Myself have been bound to comeback just because I think that "it would get better", when in reality, it just became worse, everyday..

Sadly but surely..

Pretty sure I didn't 1-hit cromm before update.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    @Question2 I'm sorry, but in 90% of the threads you respond to you post some hyperbole about these players that somehow only you have met with all these horrid experiences. The players I meet who leave and those my friends tell me about, they leave because they can't find people to do content with or because they get tired of the grind. I've yet to see a rant on these forums with any valid explanations that leaving has been due to the game being too difficult.

Yes, many newer MMO players want easy mode and leave games that don't offer it, but Vindictus has never attracted that crowd. I can recall one thread on these forums where someone complained that it was too hard and it was a bunch of whining, zero intelligent, reasoned ideas as to why the game was just outright too difficult.

If you somehow have been privy to every quitter on Aus, amazing. I apologize for not realizing that the heavens had decreed that you be granted such insight and experience that no one else encounters. For now, however, I'm just going to assume that this is just more of your hyperbole on the opposite of what 99% of Vindi players run into.

@KayoAemskey Thank you for the entertaining and well informed post on a new players experience immediately before and after RISE.
    KayoAemskeyNecrochildXieGewelliriousLoLoBootyVivieoCharlotteHurricane622ElynsaShiina06and 7 others.
  • GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945
    Mintchi wrote: »
    Pretty sure I didn't 1-hit cromm before update.

"Normal" difficulty post-rise has pretty much the HP of the easy-mode difficulty pre-rise, thus why bosses get one hit.

Apparently, the devs said the players had a hard time picking between easy, normal and hard... I guess they take their own players as autists ? Sad.. not hard to pick easy when you can't do sh*t and hard if you wanna simply play the game and enjoy lvling.
    Hurricane622
  • KayoAemskeyKayoAemskey
    @KayoAemskey Thank you for the entertaining and well informed post on a new players experience immediately before and after RISE.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone has offered thus far. I just hope this post gets noticed by the right people so things get changed.
    Quinque
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    edited June 22, 2017

I appreciate all the feedback everyone has offered thus far. I just hope this post gets noticed by the right people so things get changed.

The Korean playerbase from what I understand had a similar reaction as yourself, and they decided to push this update in record time globally instead of making any real changes. The latest patch out there just fixed some bugs and tweaked some drops. Oh, and LESS HP for bosses, I know you love to hear that. LynnCUBE has translations for the notes HERE.

It pains me to say it, but I believe that this new Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus is here to stay for awhile...
    XieKayoAemskeyMintchiSaintGuinnessJackNitrodaws360
  • ordinaryabnormalityordinaryabnormality
    Vindictus Rep: 1,490
    is this an emotional breakdown
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    edited June 22, 2017
    @Question2 I'm sorry, but in 90% of the threads you respond to you post some hyperbole about these players that somehow only you have met with all these horrid experiences. The players I meet who leave and those my friends tell me about, they leave because they can't find people to do content with or because they get tired of the grind. I've yet to see a rant on these forums with any valid explanations that leaving has been due to the game being too difficult.

Yes, many newer MMO players want easy mode and leave games that don't offer it, but Vindictus has never attracted that crowd. I can recall one thread on these forums where someone complained that it was too hard and it was a bunch of whining, zero intelligent, reasoned ideas as to why the game was just outright too difficult.

If you somehow have been privy to every quitter on Aus, amazing. I apologize for not realizing that the heavens had decreed that you be granted such insight and experience that no one else encounters. For now, however, I'm just going to assume that this is just more of your hyperbole on the opposite of what 99% of Vindi players run into.

How often did you try helping newbies to level up and get gear? I dont know why you find it so hard to believe that newbies would quit because they find the game too hard.

Why do you think every newbie who quits because they find it too hard would bother telling you? Do they even know who you are?

Ive spent years helping newbies in this game, anyone who has done the same would have met newbies who found the game too hard and quit. Obviously not every newbie does so because the game is too hard, nor have i ever claimed as such, but it is still a ton of players over the years.

Vindictus has never attracted that crowd? Please. You only say that because they never stayed for long, so you never knew they even existed.

Try talking to some guilds on your server, the ones who try helping newbies and ask them how many quit because they found the game too hard. I bet you didnt even bother asking around before accusing me of lying. And yes, other guilds on my server have run into the same problem with newbies quitting because they found it too hard.

If you dont believe that newbies do quit because they find the game too hard, thats up to you. But stop bringing it up in public every time just beacuse you dont believe it. Following someone around on an internet forum just to go "nuh uh!" is really childish.
  • SlyGoatSlyGoat
    Vindictus Rep: 500
    Hey OP (& others), the problem is after the change in management that came with Season 2 the game started to go to **** and everyone knew it. Now instead of actually looking at what they did right in the past and what got people playing the game and made it a success, they decided to just essentially delete all the old content people used to enjoy and pretend it never happened, so that the new content won't look so bad by comparison. This is why only level 90 content is relevant at all now, so that you don't play any of the older stuff and think "Huh, the game used to be a lot better. What happened?" They don't want you actually enjoying the skill based combat the game used to offer, because that might make you think you can play it without buying infinite amounts of enhancement runes etc. and going for the new +20 equipment. Face tanking your way through the game is what they want to encourage, because less skill = more gear reliance and therefore more cash shop transactions.

Hope you understand their logic now! Have fun out there.
    KayoAemskeyA5UNA4U2edgy4uHurricane622Quinquedaws360
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    edited June 22, 2017
    @Question2 Now you're just being silly. I specifically had my Quick Battle setup to show S1/S2 raids so that I could help newer players clear content. Before QB I used to search the boards in Malina, Colhen, and Rocheste to see if there were lowbies needing assistance. According to your claim Vindi should become the most popular title in the West now, because the update has trivialized everything and taken away and depth that the game has. Everything that drops falls like rain, and crafting has been gutted, so there's no reason to dedicate time to the game anymore. All the supposed easy mode players that you used to help should be returning in droves, so you'll be in great company.
    2edgy4uoCharlotteHurricane622misakamisakaSaintGuinnesscyreusautistic29yodaws360