[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Does 3* (4* / 5*... ) gear really matter anymore?

LoLoBootyLoLoBooty
Vindictus Rep: 5,275
edited August 3, 2017 in General Discussion
For the years that I've been playing this game there has always been an undertone that anything less than 3 star quality gear was undesirable. Back then it's primary purpose was to aid the play in reaching the 2000 STR/INT/WIL/AGI caps. Over time as the game has progressed I think the impact has been minimized (but the mind-set of players has not changed). Consider how much easier it is to reach that cap:

• The increasing level cap has raised base stats
  • Stats of higher level armor has raised base stats as well
  • Title counts continue to grow and the title status bonuses they provide raise base stats
  • The stat bonus 3* provides is negligible in the context of end-game stats
  1. Does 3* (4* / 5*... ) gear really matter anymore?72 votes
    1. Yes all #3*gearmatters
       28% (20 votes)
    2. No, it's an outdated concept in most cases
       11% (8 votes)
    3. It still matters for weapons
       13% (9 votes)
    4. It's only for OCD / perfectionists
       32% (23 votes)
    5. I'm not sure one way or the other
       17% (12 votes)

Comments

• guyaltguyalt
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    edited August 3, 2017
    i guess its more for show nowdays than its for the stats.
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    edited August 3, 2017
    1 star = 0.5 cm e-peen longer / 2.5 cm bigger e-breast size for grill gamers.
    AnthonytonyboyBabyDaniMochiSweet
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    Due to S3 armor & weapons superior stats, quality is actually more beneficial than in the past. However, it's not something necessary.
  • ElleaseEllease
    Vindictus Rep: 1,625
    For armor and accessories, the primary gains are in Wil increases, which no longer matter to most endgame players (although the benefit can be seen on "fresh" characters with small title counts). For weapons, though, I feel it is still fairly significant. I see two common cases. In the first, most people do not surpass Dullahan's natural attack cap of 28500. In the second, it is not improbably for someone to have the 2000-3000 attack limit release that makes its attack cap (of 31550 at max non-event release) actually difficult to reach outside of soaps. However, these are limited cases in terms of the percentage of endgame content. I think one 28500, one 27000, then multiple 25000 are the caps we have access to, and most people can hit the 25000 caps.
    LoLoBooty
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    Vindictus Rep: 3,055
    All numbers eventually add up
  • Dinko4TheWinDinko4TheWin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,400
    Weapons give you a nice attack bonus.. Gear on the other hand is nice to have to additional STR (basically attack)
  • sabersatensabersaten
    Vindictus Rep: 1,440
    Enhancement matters more these days.
  • KourinKourin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,375
    3 is just a nice number

1 is obviously bad, ew.
    2 is common and feels lackluster.
    4 doesn't look nice. There's a reason chefs place an odd number of items on a dish.
    5 while ideal, isn't realistic unless you have $$$ to throw out.
    BraveBlade2
  • RavelationsRavelations
    Vindictus Rep: 1,255
    I mean, it doesn't matter either way. Its kinda easy to get a 3* item now, whether its from crafting, buying or just completing dailies for 80 days straight

CfdblDn.png
  • TaylaTayla
    Vindictus Rep: 650
    What about lvl 90 & 95 weapons if you have used material synthesis and the stats are maxed on weapon & armor?? Will 3* 4* & 5*increase them?
  • LoLoBootyLoLoBooty
    Tayla wrote: »
    What about lvl 90 & 95 weapons if you have used material synthesis and the stats are maxed on weapon & armor?? Will 3* 4* & 5*increase them?

Yes. The best summary can be found on the wiki. Google "vindictus item quality".
  • TaylaTayla
    LoLoBooty wrote: »

Yes. The best summary can be found on the wiki. Google "vindictus item quality".

hmmm...as we all know the wiki information is dated so we'll just see Lolo
  • HallyHally
    Vindictus Rep: 1,985
    Already well past stat caps with 2*.. no reason to bother with 3* anymore.
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    All that matters is that it meant something pre-Rise.

So it should stay in case the miracle happens that things get difficult again.
  • HallyHally
    Vindictus Rep: 1,985
    Difficulty from rise has nothing to do with it.

For people who really wanted 3* gear, the main goal was the 2% extra attack on weapons; and 15% more wil for any slot that gives wil. The attack is largely irrelevant nowdays due to how easy it is to hit the attack cap compared to season 2. Wil cap is a static 2k, and become progressively easier to reach with more +wil titles and progressively more wil on accessories.

All rise did is make AD extremely dominant, and other stats much less so. Even if we never got rise, 3* gear would still be largely irrelevant, and become more irrelevant as time passes by.
  • EvLEvL
    Vindictus Rep: 555
    In my opinion, they should increase the defense quality bonus for armor especially with the defense cap being 21k now.
  • LoLoBootyLoLoBooty
    edited August 24, 2017
    hmmm...as we all know the wiki information is dated so we'll just see Lolo

That information is still correct. However whether the extra 2% per each quality increment actually matters is my original question. Hally has some good insights.
    Hally wrote: »
    Difficulty from rise has nothing to do with it.

All rise did is make AD extremely dominant, and other stats much less so. Even if we never got rise, 3* gear would still be largely irrelevant, and become more irrelevant as time passes by.

@Hally
    Still -- there is some situations where it can be relevant. If your using an older 80 or 90 wep (especially below +14). Also the 2nd level trans skill that uncaps damage limit. Some raids like RR -- don't they have uncapped attack? And future bosses will raise the limit (what is it right now? 27K?).
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    Only base stats of the item are affected, and in case of S3 items these are stats of combined materials like Essence, Solid, Smooth etc.

Visit the Battle Quests and Guides forum more often. Look here: http://forums.vindictus.nexon.net/discussion/11347/quality
    LoLoBootyRyanReynolds
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    It sounds to me like the stats given need to change, or caps need to be altered.

I wonder how many will titles are impossible to get now, and how that would affect a re-balance...
  • TaylaTayla
    edited August 24, 2017
    Thank you so much SirRFI ! That answered it for me, and honestly, i would have never thought to look in the Battle Quests and Guides forum.