[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Blackcipher CPU usage spiking?

Question2Question2
Vindictus Rep: 3,235
edited December 17, 2016 in General Discussion
Anyone else having this issue? It wasn't present a couple of months ago for me at least.

http://imgur.com/a/OvDsj

I have seen it spike to as much as 12% even when i am just sitting in town.

Comments

• IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    It's been like that since it was first introduced into the game. It serves more of an annoyance than anything else considering it EATS up CPU while doing nothing in return. It's the sole reason why you don't see as many host as there used to be for raids, because it would cause the frames to drop to a lousy 5 fps whilst eating up 70-80% of the CPU.

You can kill the process, but I would not advise doing so as it will risk flagging the account for modification and kick you from the game. Either that or get a random disconnection.
  • AbyssofthorAbyssofthor
    Vindictus Rep: 1,345
    edited December 17, 2016
    Close it once with the task manager too see if the game ran better and 1 minute later the game close never did it again.
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    My frame rates have plummeted from 60 in raids to 17 in jugg and 32 in titan. What the heck guys? The performance has tanked. It's been getting worse over time and now it's really making me not want to play (I have been waiting for improvements and wanting to play more and more but then I'm going into raids and the frrame rate puts me off.)
  • IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    I stopped doing S2 raids when this black cipher crap began to eat up 80-90% of the cpu I have currently... How does a thing like this even happen or got the green light in the first place?

They really need to fix these optimization issues Cipher presents, or get rid of it entirely and replace it with a more secured way to flag accounts for moderating their clients.
    GhengisJohnFlufffyParrot
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    My brother can't even play the game anymore on his laptop. he used to get frame rates in the 20's and 30's. He called me over yesterday to see his 3 frames per second barrier to leveling his Delia.
  • SanuienSanuien
    Vindictus Rep: 2,720
    well that's taken a major toll
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    This and the launcher fiasco have certainly damaged the player base.
    GhengisJohnjjX
  • quietguyquietguy
    Vindictus Rep: 1,010
    I would understand if it worked. But it doesn't. Even as low as our population is and as un-popular as Vindi is, we still have hackers. I saw a few last night.
    GhengisJohnjjX
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    Yea i tried closing it that day, then vindi kept popping up with a "unauthorized program detected" message and kicking me to the main menu :(.
  • EninyaEninya
    Vindictus Rep: 870
    From my understanding a November update prevents you from closing the game and maintaining your login instance. However, there's ways to throttle it. I've posted a guide on my thread in VSnobs to help throttle it without causing it to crash.
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    edited December 19, 2016
    Who thought it would be a good idea to further gimp a game that is already using a version of source that does not utilize modern hardware?

They must know that there's already a problem, they released "Multiprocessing" awhile back (that I need to use in order to host properly, i7 GTX1080 SSD not stronk enuff), so let's progressively make the game run worse seemingly every major update.

I usually feel like calling for an optimization update is a bit silly, but Jesus Christ this game runs like ass compared to many more power hungry games on the same rig. Devcat pls fix, the game runs worse than it did in 2012.
    GhengisJohn
  • EninyaEninya
    edited December 19, 2016
    Necrochild

Who thought it would be a good idea to further gimp a game that is already using a version of source that does not utilize modern hardware?

They must know that there's already a problem, they released "Multiprocessing" awhile back (that I need to use in order to host properly, i7 GTX1080 SSD not stronk enuff), so let's progressively make the game run worse seemingly every major update.

I usually feel like calling for an optimization update is a bit silly, but Jesus Christ this game runs like ass compared to many more power hungry games on the same rig. Devcat pls fix, the game runs worse than it did in 2012.
    MFW when I run WoW on ultra-max and get 60+ FPS everywhere in Legion, but Vindictus is like, "We have a 'Low' and a 'High'--do you want 15 FPS or 20 FPS?"

Anyway. You can throttle that bastard program and see how your performance is.
    GhengisJohn
  • JamesGrossJamesGross
    Vindictus Rep: 2,600
    Crappy computer + Crappy Net
  • RaemnantRaemnant
    Vindictus Rep: 420
    ITT people complaining about their old computers
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    Raemnant
    Raemnant said:

Game hosts like crap even on higher end PCs, due to being on a crappy source build that doesn't properly utilize multiple cores. Now we have blackcipher compounding that problem, which doesn't help. The game is six years old, and the build they're on is older than that. The irony is that it has a potential to run BETTER on older hardware.
  • EninyaEninya
    edited December 19, 2016
    Raemnant
    Raemnant said:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    i5-4690k
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Samsung EVO 850
    And a stripped and optimized Win 7-64bit Ultimate

Yes. It's nice to run pretty much every modern game at max settings with 60+ FPS, and Vindictus to only run at half that at max settings. But I guess my PC just can't handle the cutting edge graphics and physics of Vindictus.

Necrochild

Now we have blackcipher compounding that problem, which doesn't help.
    You can throttle it, so its impact is minimal.
    GhengisJohn
  • RaemnantRaemnant
    I dont see any of these issues myself, I dont know what to tell you. 60 fps with max graphics and I host perfectly fine. Nexon Game Security barely takes anything out of me and I have cruddy AT&T internet. I host better than most everyone I have come across. Maybe you guys just need to reinstall
  • EninyaEninya
    Raemnant
    Raemnant said:

I dont see any of these issues myself, I dont know what to tell you. 60 fps with max graphics and I host perfectly fine. Nexon Game Security barely takes anything out of me and I have cruddy AT&T internet. I host better than most everyone I have come across. Maybe you guys just need to reinstall
    This has no correlation with the issue, and reinstalling doesn't get rid of an embedded security software. The only option right now is to limit its CPU usage manually.
  • EninyaEninya
    boo4u
    boo4u said:

That won't help
    It has helped me. Starting a Delia and trying to do the beginning quests at 15-20 FPS tops was rough.
  • RaemnantRaemnant
    Everytime someone joins me they say I host fine, but yes, everytime I join someone else it lags like crazy. I met some friends and they lag too, even when they host, this is pretty bad. It must be because I have a great CPU. Money well spent then. Its like its better for me to go solo, I started a Delia too a few days ago, level 46 now. Like I said, I have 60 FPS always. even in town ch1, never had any problems