[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

UI Causing Frame Lag and Freezes

NoburoNoburo
Vindictus Rep: 2,940
edited February 16, 2017 in Bug Reporting
Bringing topic over from old forums in case anyone is wondering why the game is not running as well as it did back when we got the UI revamp. Still an issue as of today's Halloween update.

The user interface was altered in the Ein Lacher update in ways that are causing stutters/freezes/fps drops in various situations, along with some strange bugs. A few examples:
-The battle results screen and anything else that brings up the success emblem with the shining light and feathers effect cause severe frame drops. This includes enhancing, opening random box type items, and leveling up skills.
-During boat launch, the game will stutter as the camera focuses on one's own character. This is visible to everyone else on the boat; it will appear as though the character has frozen as their name appears onscreen. It's not uncommon to see everyone in the party freeze in this manner.
-Hiding the UI (pressing numpad- twice) does not work the same way it did before the Ein Lacher update. It appears to freeze all functions of the UI, including healthbar/stamina updates and even expertise crafting timers while the UI is hidden. This leads to stutters or momentary freezes when the UI is turned back on, where you can actually watch the health and stamina bars glitch out before changing to their new values.
-[Fixed]On dx8 settings, bright particle animations will cause shadows of the UI to appear onscreen while it is hidden. UI possibly being rendered multiple times leading to frame drops?

Image of the UI shadow on directx 8 settings:

My thread from the old forums:
(Link) (Dead)

Bug reporting thread on the EU forums with staff responses, note that it's in the "Unconfirmed/Needs more information" subcategory:
https://forum.nexoneu.com/showthread.php?1551126-Game-freezing-lagging-fps-droping-at-end-of-the-battle-screen-After-1-70-patch (Read-only)

One of many threads made in other subforums with more hardware reports/discussion:
http://forums.vindictus.nexon.net/discussion/935/ui-lag-is-worse-after-update

The game did not have these issues when the new UI was added in the Bow & Blade upate, nor when the game still used the old UI prior.

New info 02/16/2017:
-The boat freeze and fps lag with the UI on got worse after the Abyssal Arena patch. It's clearly visible that when the game stutters on your character during boat launch, the shaders setting is suddenly set to minimum and immediately changed back, causing the stutter.
-Fps in town with the UI on is not problematic until after launching a boat and experiencing the stutter for the first time after launching the game.
-The only seemingly related UI change in the Ein Lacher and Abyssal Arena patches is the one referring to buff icons being made to redraw in 60fps at all times.
RedXIIIFriedeBl4ckR4v3nWilkoJackNitroFlufffyParrotNavZelohVladinoCallisthene

Comments

• RedXIIIRedXIII
    Vindictus Rep: 310
    It is absolutely infuriating to wrestle with the UI every time the boat leaves, as it forces itself back on when it zooms in on your character. On top of the FPS being so drastically smoother when taking off the UI. The game is almost unplayable for me with the UI completely or halfway on (via pressing NUM- only once). No matter how many things I remove in the UI options, it cannot compare with manually using the Hide UI command via hotkey.
    Thank you very much for this thread, Noburo. I appreciate the persistence.
  • FriedeFriede
    Vindictus Rep: 920
    I think this video will help too,this is happening since einrach update... And it's more noticeable on mid-low ends, Pls fix it.
  • FriedeFriede
    Bump, This HAS to be fixed....
  • NoburoNoburo
    Yep, on a lower end pc it's been hellish trying to play both solo and in groups since this started. I'll oftentimes load in to battles when everyone's already done grabbing campfire buff, and pvp is just completely out of the question for me at this point. I used to be able to not just host, but record runs I was hosting using this pc, and now I can barely finish my smashes without the animations skipping out. It's all but completely ruined the experience of Vindictus for me and I really shouldn't be putting up with it.

Another quirk of disabling the UI I found was that the text showing the area and battlequest name in the bottom left restarts its animation every time you check the UI if you don't let it run through all the way.
  • EhgessEhgess
    Vindictus Rep: 2,910
    Member, Nexon
    edited November 8, 2016
    The issue with the UI residue involving DX8 should be fixed with the next patch update this month. I will be getting confirmation on the fix from our QA team soon.
    FriedeNoburoNasseZeze
  • FriedeFriede
    Bump again.... It's getting worse with every patch , Now I can barely be in town ._. and It's not my pc, pls! Find a solution for this! It has to be something about the UI
  • NoburoNoburo
    Maybe we'll see something from them soon with all the compaints about it getting worse this week. Been keeping an eye on both our forums and the eu ones and players have been pretty vocal about it over there too.

https://forum.nexoneu.com/showthread.php?1551126-Game-freezing-lagging-fps-droping-at-end-of-the-battle-screen-After-1-70-patch

Been a while since they heard back about it but having staff present in the discussion on both sides gives me hope that they'll do something about it soon.
    JackNitro
  • GearGear
    Vindictus Rep: 705
    I'm getting the same issues. This makes it extremely difficult to play and gives me little motivation to even try.
  • JackNitroJackNitro
    Vindictus Rep: 740
    Throwing my 2 cents in here. I've been playing with a really nice pc for the past 11 months so I haven't really noticed how much the performance has degraded. But that pc is in for repairs right now, and playing again on my old pc.....wow. It got 40-50 fps (non-hosting) less than a year ago. Now it's not even half that. I know it's not the pc because it still plays GTAV ~30 fps. I don't understand how you can take a game and make it so un-optimized in not even a year, but this needs to be addressed. It's B-A-D.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    edited November 27, 2016
    The UI also randomly disappears. Mostly when in town before getting on a boat for a group you're already in, but it varies and can happen once in a raid as well.
  • arkaine757arkaine757
    Vindictus Rep: 1,430
    edited November 28, 2016
    I managed to play around 30-35 fps with UI and 45~ without it, on HIGH settings before this update.
    After that i'm getting 20-25 with UI and 45~ without it on MEDIUM settings.

So yeah, i'll get a $5000 pc to maybe, just maybe play on high settings with 30 fps
  • GoodrichGoodrich
    Vindictus Rep: 515
    After doing some more thorough testing, with a friend, the UI is a massive problem.
    Testing cards being an R9 270X overlocked, a TitanX, a GTX 1080ti, and a GTX 790.
    Other hardware being mostly the same. And yet, just turning the UI on in battle, host and not, causes major dips. Even the R9270 drops to the 20~30s with settings on minimal. Frames skip quite often too. This was all done in the Abyssal Arena as well as Resenalin's Labyrinth. It really needs a rework and optimization. A possible DX10/11 support could aid a lot of other smaller and/or larger issues.
  • NoburoNoburo
    Just in case they need more information, I'll link this general discussion thread here too since it looks like it's going to get bumped down to page 3 and has some good discussion + hardware reports from users that haven't posted here yet.
    Aymon
  • JackNitroJackNitro
    Vindictus Rep: 740
    FWIW the UI isn't the only problem here. I remember this thread from the EU forums that was posted last year which shows just how inefficient the level design in this game is. A lot of the problems are extremely simple fixes but, as far as I know, they've never bothered with any of them.
  • NoburoNoburo
    That's true, but waiting longer to do something like rolling back the UI changes is only going to make it more of a pain in the ass to go through all the stuff they've been adding and make sure the old build works with it.

This is why I feel like pushing for action right now is important. There's speculation that the new dice event meter is the reason why mid-high end pc users are starting to feel fps drops on nearly the same level as low end users. If that is actually the case, and this goes unnoticed and unfixed by the devs, it's highly likely that once this event is patched out and the fps goes back to normal for most users, they'll just forget about it after said users quiet down and move on. I don't want that to happen.
  • FriedeFriede
    Bump! Even tho someone posted it 3 days ago , whatever pls fix this :( Also I've watched Juny(KR server) stream and He doesn't seem to have any of our problems with the ui or fps drops , so this has to be NA/EU issue, maybe BlackCipher?
  • NoburoNoburo
    edited December 3, 2016
    I'm getting pretty damn sick of it. They're not taking us or the problem seriously, otherwise they would've stickied this, made their own thread, asked questions of their own, or requested we submit more tickets/dxdiag logs. The only staff post pertaining to this issue I've seen on both these forums and the old ones is Ehgess's on the first page of this thread, and it doesn't address the fps issue at all.

Wake up - the posts about people leaving this game because of the fps drops are scattered across the multiple general discussion, bug reporting and tech support threads that have been popping up since AUGUST. You can't afford to lose everyone in your playerbase that's not using intel parts in a pc that cost them over a thousand dollars to build, don't wait for that to happen.

Made my last edit to the OP, adding the links I've posted in here plus the link to the old forum thread I made. I'll check back in here when we get our next content update. It will have been over 4 months since the Ein Lacher update by then, god help us if they still haven't shown any concern over the situation by then.
    Aymon
  • CheryllCheryll
    Vindictus Rep: 1,015
    I'm playing with an i7-4790k cpu and a GTX980Ti. Before the last couple patches I have been able to play solo and up to 4 man parties with a smooth 60fps and host 8 man parties on high settings with 35-50fps (panth and jug being the exception with about 20-35fps). Currently I have lowered my graphic settings to accommodate the significant fps drops, and my solo and 4 man parties fps has been around 45-60fps. Hosting 8 man parties is starting to feel unplayable, my frames even closing out select parts of the ui is down to about 15-35fps (panth and jug at 10-25fps). Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and am very disinclined to play the game with my experience being severely impacted by performance issues that have nothing to do with my rig.
  • arkaine757arkaine757
    Vindictus Rep: 1,430
    edited December 6, 2016
    Stage: Guardian
    Config: Medium at best (no AA)

Without HUD

With HUD

Phenom II X4 B55 3.2
    HD 5770
    8GB

I know , it's a 7 years desktop, but come on i can see the 59.9 fps, so i know the damm thing it's capable to run smoother.
  • NoburoNoburo
    That's two major updates without a fix. Do I hear three?