[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

Nexon KR fined by Korean FTC over gacha scheme

Comments

• DeprivedDeprived
    Vindictus Rep: 990
    edited April 18, 2018
    Back in my day we would have this thread nuked into oblivion already.

But I guess game ded, Nexoff bad, whales whaling cuz pixels and outfits priced like regular AAA titles during Steam sales.

Who is we? Speak for yourself, you're just the minority of not very smart people on these boards that do nothing but s shitpost and troll important threads like this because you're a terrible troll that's desperate for attention and have nothing to contribute.

Maybe the reason this thread is getting so much attention is because it's important. Ever think of that?

The intelligent players of this community see the importance of this thread and are actually contributing something to the conversation and sharing their thoughts on this discussion. Go back to your dark lonely corner troll.

1. Complains about "whales" encouraging Nexon to sell high priced outfits.
    2. Attempts to derail a thread created to wake people up about Nexon stealing money from players with gachas and help stop the whales from supporting a lying, moneyhungry company like Nexon.

So you come here complaining about a problem (with whales) then you turn around and try to make the problem worse suggesting the thread should be "nuked" and that we should all be like you and do nothing to try and fix the problem.

The purpose of this thread is to inform people of the fact that Nexon has been caught hiding the fact that they're lowering gacha rates, to try and stop the whale problem and them encouraging Nexon to do nothing but release gachas to steal money from people fool. The very same thing you came here to complain about - but you want everyone to just stop talking about it and have the thread closed?

You really aren't very smart are you?

Please stop embarassing yourself and putting your stupidity on display for everyone to see. Then again you can't expect much from someone named 'hornywatermelon'.
    Someguywashere
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Oh my, someone's getting worked up. How delightful.
    RobertLivia
  • DeprivedDeprived
    edited April 18, 2018
    Thanks again DragonRider for bringing this to everyone's attention and for sharing that video you did later in the thread.

Would have never even realized Nexon was playing this dirty, to the extent of even hiding the fact they're lowering gacha rates without even telling players if it weren't for you sharing it with us.

Definitely won't be buying any gacha boxes ever again.
    SomeguywasherePixelPantsuAnnaz
  • RobertLiviaRobertLivia
    Vindictus Rep: 2,905
    edited April 18, 2018
    Deprived wrote: »
    Definitely won't be buying any gacha boxes ever again.

Oh no.. please no... :( What will we do.

I'll buy 22 boxes in your honor. For every gacha they release. I'l also name a pet after you. Hope they release some ugly pets soon.
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    Somewhere in these walls of text lie the cure to cancer and the answers to mankind's most important questions. Such a shame no sane person will brave the salt.
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    Vindictus Rep: 1,200
    edited April 19, 2018
    Arent there bigger problems in YOUR world? Dont even think of trying to change peoples minds on some Forums (it doesnt really work).
    Oh and btw thats how Asian F2P Titles work, so... just get over it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RobertLiviaRobertLivia
    Vindictus Rep: 2,905
    edited April 19, 2018
    And you're angry about that for some reason lol

Yes.. I'm very angry.... you wont like me when I'm angry.... Grrrrrrrrr

utoYQHi.jpg

• DeprivedDeprived
    edited April 19, 2018
    LadyFaye wrote: »

Wrong.

That's NOT how "F2P Titles work".

Claiming players have one probability to obtain the rare items from gacha boxes and then turning around and LOWERING those gacha rates on people while the event is going on so it's harder for players to get the items and Nexon makes more money off of them is NOT how ANY game period, F2P or not, is supposed to work. That's just common sense, you don't lie to players about something they're spending their hard earned money on. But you obviously didn't even read the article to be making a statement like that, to claim that that is okay, to lie to players about gacha rates like this. And this is why Nexon is one of the most hated game companies in existence, because they continue to lie and mistreat players in too many ways to name. We just have it on paper now, they got caught in the act by the FTC in Korea and are being sued and fined for it.

Obviously if that was "how Asian F2P Titles work" Nexon wouldn't be getting sued and fined over this. They finally got caught lowering gacha rates after they slipped up and didn't tell (or 'claim to' is a better word because they've also been found to be lying about the rates) players what the gacha rates were. The FTC investigates and what do they find? That Nexon mislead players making people think the gachas were one rate but actually lowered the gacha rates to as low as 1.5 to 0.5% lol

And so if Nexon is doing this in KR, lying about rates over there, they are likely to be lying about the gacha box rates here in NA too, they're the same company, they have the same ideals and follow the same practices. And the big difference being Nexon NA has no one to regulate them and make sure they don't lie about the gacha rates here so they're free to continue lying and stealing money from players at Nexon NA, I highly recommend not purchasing these gacha boxes because it's very likely the gacha rates are being lowered and manipulated so the rate Nexon NA tells players isn't really what it is, just like they've been doing in Nexon KR. Nexon NA has no one to sue them for lying about stated gacha rates and lowering them on people in America like it is in KR.

This is what I want anyone reading to understand so new players and old that have been under the impression that Nexon is being totally honest and truthful about the gacha rates they're claiming can realize what is really going on and to not waste their money on these gachas. And I will continue to bring this to everyone's attention because no game company should be thriving over lying, deceiving and misleading players because they are that greedy for money.

To the actually smart people reading this thread, you know who the other smart people are in this thread and who the not so smart ones are, the ones that are so delusional and so far gone and clueless, they're so obsessed with having some gacha item to show off to people that don't even really care about them, that are so desperate to show off their rare gacha item to others for attention, those are the ones that are going to try and get people like me to stop talking about this issue. They don't care that the game is hardly even getting any content updates anymore and that staff don't really give a damn about players and have no respect for the Vindictus community, all they care about is there little gacha item to show off to others for attention, so they can finally feel special for once in their lives and then Nexon continues to neglect the game and the community, doing nothing but selling these gachas where the rates they claim on them are a lie to make matters worse.. To the smart people reading, ignore these not so smart people.
    PixelPantsu
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    Vindictus Rep: 1,200
    edited April 23, 2018

Wrong.

That's NOT how "F2P Titles work".

Claiming players have one probability to obtain the rare items from gacha boxes and then turning around and LOWERING those gacha rates on people while the event is going on so it's harder for players to get the items and Nexon makes more money off of them is NOT how ANY game period, F2P or not, is supposed to work. That's just common sense, you don't lie to players about something they're spending their hard earned money on. But you obviously didn't even read the article to be making a statement like that, to claim that that is okay, to lie to players about gacha rates like this. And this is why Nexon is one of the most hated game companies in existence, because they continue to lie and mistreat players in too many ways to name. We just have it on paper now, they got caught in the act by the FTC in Korea and are being sued and fined for it.

Obviously if that was "how Asian F2P Titles work" Nexon wouldn't be getting sued and fined over this. They finally got caught lowering gacha rates after they slipped up and didn't tell (or 'claim to' is a better word because they've also been found to be lying about the rates) players what the gacha rates were. The FTC investigates and what do they find? That Nexon mislead players making people think the gachas were one rate but actually lowered the gacha rates to as low as 1.5 to 0.5% lol

And so if Nexon is doing this in KR, lying about rates over there, they are likely to be lying about the gacha box rates here in NA too, they're the same company, they have the same ideals and follow the same practices. And the big difference being Nexon NA has no one to regulate them and make sure they don't lie about the gacha rates here so they're free to continue lying and stealing money from players at Nexon NA, I highly recommend not purchasing these gacha boxes because it's very likely the gacha rates are being lowered and manipulated so the rate Nexon NA tells players isn't really what it is, just like they've been doing in Nexon KR. Nexon NA has no one to sue them for lying about stated gacha rates and lowering them on people in America like it is in KR.

This is what I want anyone reading to understand so new players and old that have been under the impression that Nexon is being totally honest and truthful about the gacha rates they're claiming can realize what is really going on and to not waste their money on these gachas. And I will continue to bring this to everyone's attention because no game company should be thriving over lying, deceiving and misleading players because they are that greedy for money.

To the actually smart people reading this thread, you know who the other smart people are in this thread and who the not so smart ones are, the ones that are so delusional and so far gone and clueless, they're so obsessed with having some gacha item to show off to people that don't even really care about them, that are so desperate to show off their rare gacha item to others for attention, those are the ones that are going to try and get people like me to stop talking about this issue. They don't care that the game is hardly even getting any content updates anymore and that staff don't really give a damn about players and have no respect for the Vindictus community, all they care about is there little gacha item to show off to others for attention, so they can finally feel special for once in their lives and then Nexon continues to neglect the game and the community, doing nothing but selling these gachas where the rates they claim on them are a lie to make matters worse.. To the smart people reading, ignore these not so smart people.

Stop being naive. Everybody knows that F2P with lots of profit in mind is a business model based on scam. It's Nexon. You are not enlightening anybody in this thread. You can claim the same scammy thing about upprates etc etc.
  • AnnazAnnaz
    Vindictus Rep: 1,320
    I’ve played since 2012 and ever since they have implemented these gatchas I’ve spent more than 300+ dollars per, to get the rarest items. After seeing this, I am quitting the game and will never support a Nexon game ever again. This is disgusting, I knew something was up but I continued to be blind, the shield is off my eyes and I now see clear. Thank you op.
    Deprived
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    edited April 24, 2018
    This is sad. For me it totally should belong to the gambling category and they should regulate it because you can't affect what you get for your money just like on a slot machine.
    Someguywashere
  • DancingStarDancingStar
    Vindictus Rep: 1,695
    Arent there bigger problems in YOUR world? Dont even think of trying to change peoples minds on some Forums (it doesnt really work).

I cringe reading such comments from a few ppl here like this one.

You should remember that to discuss something is never wrong or pointless.
    Only brainless ppl accept everything as it is without question themselves/the others or just accepting blindly everything they get in general.

No, it's not "how things works so just get over it".
    History, if u ever studied some, teach that a lot of changes (for the better in most cases and the worse in some cases)
    are 'due' to groups of ppl who didn't just "just get over it? ¯\_(ツ)_/" and managed within time to bring improvements in any aspect of the life.

So the topic is quite rightfully discussed, and interesting.
    The only bad side is that most of this thread is turning into a personal debate between 2 ppl who dislike each other and nobody care.

p.s. Robert is not a Nexon employer.
  • DragonRiderDragonRider
    Vindictus Rep: 2,600
    edited April 24, 2018
    Here's another short article that I read back in 2016-17 (but i never posted it on forums back then, but i might as well now along with this thread) about Nexon KR's CHAIRMAN CEO stepping down due to indictment, corruption, and bribery charges to try and get out of his indictment and fines.

These are the decent human beings in charge of your favorite games and taking your money, folks.

LINK:

http://mmoculture.com/2016/07/nexon-co-founder-and-chairman-steps-down-due-to-corruption-case/

Nexon.jpg

There are several articles like these on their KR management, including stock price gouging, insider stock info trading, embezzelment, share-holder withholding information, promoting their blood relatives / wives to top positions in the company (e.g. president of Nexon NA) all in the name of keeping the power and money in their family.
    PrototypemindDeprived
  • DeprivedDeprived
    edited April 24, 2018

Only brainless ppl accept everything as it is without question themselves/the others or just accepting blindly everything they get in general.

History, if u ever studied some, teach that a lot of changes (for the better in most cases and the worse in some cases)
    are 'due' to groups of ppl who didn't just "just get over it? ¯\_(ツ)_/" and managed within time to bring improvements in any aspect of the life.

The only bad side is that most of this thread is turning into a personal debate between 2 ppl who dislike each other and nobody care.

Well said, I couldn't have said it better myself and I'm glad more intelligent individuals like yourself realize the importance of discussing these matters and the attention it's getting is well deserved.

But please try not to give attention to those trying to derail the entire thread and turn this into a flame war rather than an important discussion on this very serious matter, like what this "robert" character is trying to do.

And neither you nor I can say with 100% certainty that he isn't actually a Nexon employee but at the same time some have made some valid points (on top of the fact that he is THE ONLY ONE here defending Nexon's actions) as to why they think he may in fact be a Nexon employee on an alternate non-nexon employee account.

Regardless I think we can all agree that he doesn't deserve the extra attention.

Thanks for sharing that additional article DragonRider, your post and the article speaks for itself. After reading that, seeing how they have family members, the previous chairman CEO himself being charged with corruption and all these other criminal charges (and he likely still has other family members in the company still), not to mention all the other criminal activity going on within the company I'm actually disgusted with myself for having spent all the time I have playing one of their games.
  • DragonRiderDragonRider

Well said, I couldn't have said it better myself and I'm glad more intelligent individuals like yourself realize the importance of discussing these matters and the attention it's getting is well deserved.

But please try not to give attention to those trying to derail the entire thread and turn this into a flame war rather than an important discussion on this very serious matter, like what this "robert" character is trying to do.

And neither you nor I can say with 100% certainty that he isn't actually a Nexon employee but at the same time some have made some valid points (on top of the fact that he is THE ONLY ONE here defending Nexon's actions) as to why they think he may in fact be a Nexon employee on an alternate non-nexon employee account.

Regardless I think we can all agree that he doesn't deserve the extra attention.

Thanks for sharing that additional article DragonRider, your post and the article speaks for itself. After reading that, seeing how they have family members, the previous chairman CEO himself being charged with corruption and all these other criminal charges (and he likely still has other family members in the company still), not to mention all the other criminal activity going on within the company I'm actually disgusted with myself for having spent all the time I have playing one of their games.

Truth is, it's the talentless, corrupt, money-hungry scum at the top, controlling the business sales / profits machine that deserve the ire, not the individual game devs (devcat) below them who have the actual talent and artistry to make such great games underneath the scum at the top controlling every business aspect of it (Nexon the Publisher). Lots of people over the years have said how they wish Vindictus was published by another company instead of Nexon... but devcat and Nexon are almost one in the same, like 2 heads on the same ogre unfortunately, and its not going to change, seeing as how Vindictus is a derivative origin story of Mabinogi IP franchise which is a flagship of Nexon.
  • RowboCopRowboCop
    Vindictus Rep: 520
    edited April 24, 2018

That guy's just a director. The CEO of Nexon is actually an American from San Francisco. I'm not talking about the regional subsidiaries like Nexon KR and Nexon NA, I'm talking about THE Nexon that oversees all the regional subsidiaries. It doesn't say so in this article, but if you google him, you'll find he's American and grew up in San Francisco.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-10-06-nexon-we-need-to-focus-on-heart-first-and-money-second
  • DragonRiderDragonRider
    RowboCop wrote: »

That guy's just a director. The CEO of Nexon is actually an American from San Francisco. I'm not talking about the regional subsidiaries like Nexon KR and Nexon NA, I'm talking about THE Nexon that oversees all the regional subsidiaries. It doesn't say so in this article, but if you google him, you'll find he's American and grew up in San Francisco.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-10-06-nexon-we-need-to-focus-on-heart-first-and-money-second

Owen Mahoney stuck around for only 1-2 years, then left. Also, he was put in charge of NA Nexon branch, but from what I've heard, they've hired another Korean to oversee the NA Nexon branch. It's probably why everyone at NA branch got fired, including mainstay GMs and forum mods.

Btw, NA branch is not the main branch that oversees all regional Nexons, lol. Far from it. We're the branch that is only about 2% of their total profits. THE Nexon HQ that you are referring to is based in Japan, and is run by a bunch of Korean people.
  • RowboCopRowboCop
    edited April 25, 2018

Owen Mahoney stuck around for only 1-2 years, then left. Also, he was put in charge of NA Nexon branch, but from what I've heard, they've hired another Korean to oversee the NA Nexon branch. It's probably why everyone at NA branch got fired, including mainstay GMs and forum mods.

Btw, NA branch is not the main branch that oversees all regional Nexons, lol. Far from it. We're the branch that is only about 2% of their total profits. THE Nexon HQ that you are referring to is based in Japan, and is run by a bunch of Korean people.

This article is less than a year old and it still calls him the CEO of Nexon, not Nexon NA. And it does mention that Nexon is Tokyo-based.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/11/nexon-ceo-owen-mahoney-wants-the-game-industry-to-lose-its-hollywood-envy/

And here is the info from Bloomberg :
    https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=62731193&privcapId=142745502

He is President and CEO of Nexon.
  • DeprivedDeprived

Whether he's CEO or 'director' it makes no difference because the point still remains - there is a lot of corruption and criminal activity going on at Nexon like what DragonRider has mentioned on page 5 of this thread and that's unacceptable, no company like that should be supported in any shape or form.

Just like them having been discovered of LOWERING gacha rates (to as low as 0.5%) on people spending their money on gacha boxes after the sale has begun is also extremely unacceptable as stated in the first article of the thread.

I can't even look at Nexon as a game company anymore, more like a criminal organization.
  • RowboCopRowboCop

Whether he's CEO or 'director' it makes no difference because the point still remains - there is a lot of corruption and criminal activity going on at Nexon like what DragonRider has mentioned on page 5 of this thread and that's unacceptable, no company like that should be supported in any shape or form.

Just like them having been discovered of LOWERING gacha rates (to as low as 0.5%) on people spending their money on gacha boxes after the sale has begun is also extremely unacceptable as stated in the first article of the thread.

I can't even look at Nexon as a game company anymore, more like a criminal organization.

I wasn't trying to defend Nexon. I was just correcting some wrong info.
    AriaGodspell
This discussion has been closed.