[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

The Quality of the Translations

탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
Vindictus Rep: 5,590
edited February 26, 2018 in General Discussion
I know this probably isnt best to ask this since well....translations but i have noticed the translation quality has went downhill far more than it was. The story SEEMS on track for the most part however lets take the skills for example. For a very long time KR used Konglish (they still do to this day) in order to help with translations. That means the skill is written in Hangul but spoken in english in korea. (Lynn being the exception since she is of Chinese Royalty based on her lore....even then her skills were not properly translated for this region but you need to understand chinese too so thats an exception). This was more noticeable around when Arisha became a thing but at least those skill names fit her theme. Then i noticed the quality became destroyed with Miri's skill names. One skill name is supposed to be a skill name for another. Then i get reports Aes Sidhe was not fully translated story quotes wise. I DID message an admin on the issue as well as asking what would need to be done to be a volunteer translater. But player communication on these issues dont happen often. Though i do through translation suggestions dont get a response 100% so i guess what i mean to ask is what is the communities thoughts on this?

Edit: forgot to add this but PLEASE keep the responses professional and respectful. This is a discussion about the translations. Not a rant.

Comments

• LoyalPlayerLoyalPlayer
    Vindictus Rep: 420
    volunteer translator
    LOL
    as if nexon needs a volunteer to google translate their stuff
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    volunteer translator
    LOL

I mean if that's what you wanna assume I use then sure go right ahead xD Konglish is easy to learn considering learning how to read Hangul is stupid easy. You learn the alphabet and the word structure. Just look it up. You will understand what I mean.
  • ElyrElyr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,430
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, since the game has close to zero staff. I made several comments about the translations' quality, both here and back on EU, but guess what, even during the game's golden period this didn't amount to anything. I've worked more than once as a translator, and I've never seen as much negligence as in this game. Sadly, the staff just doesn't care, so you might as well give up here
  • LoyalPlayerLoyalPlayer
    Vindictus Rep: 420
    volunteer translator
    LOL

I mean if that's what you wanna assume I use then sure go right ahead xD Konglish is easy to learn considering learning how to read Hangul is stupid easy. You learn the alphabet and the word structure. Just look it up. You will understand what I mean.

It's very easy to read Korean indeed, but knowing it well enough to provide accurate information is another story.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Elyr wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, since the game has close to zero staff. I made several comments about the translations' quality, both here and back on EU, but guess what, even during the game's golden period this didn't amount to anything. I've worked more than once as a translator, and I've never seen as much negligence as in this game. Sadly, the staff just doesn't care, so you might as well give up here

Well I do fan translations for the NA community for Test Server content (I haven't done it as a job since I'm teaching myself about the job first so I can go in with confidence) so I know exactly what you mean xD The best way I can explain this is since I played on NA for 6 years before I left the server to KR it still has that small place in my heart where I at least want to see the game treated as it is supposed to be treated. So when I see the translations go in the complete opposite direction for the skill names my heart sinks a lot.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    volunteer translator
    LOL

It's very easy to read Korean indeed, but knowing it well enough to provide accurate information is another story.

Of course. That's normally why I usually respond with "take what I say with a grain of salt" on new updates because they always change something on after test phase and chances are there will be something I miss in which I generally ask some of my friends on KR to better understand. The skills I can cover. Buffs and story content is a whole new level I haven't reached quite yet. That will come in due time though.
    LoyalPlayer
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    I nearly forgot to mention Lynn's 2nd weapon was translated incorrectly. I'm not sure if it was because it's name is based on a German Flower but it should have been Blute xD
  • ElyrElyr
    I nearly forgot to mention Lynn's 2nd weapon was translated incorrectly. I'm not sure if it was because it's name is based on a German Flower but it should have been Blute xD

I think I've discussed about blute more than enough already, translating all the names twice, from two different languages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드

I think I've discussed about blute more than enough already, translating all the names twice, from two different languages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't know you did. I don't really venture to 90% of the threads tbh. I mainly stick in Future Section but as of recent....with all the new games releasing I just haven't really touched Vindictus unless it's for Balor.
  • ElyrElyr

I didn't know you did. I don't really venture to 90% of the threads tbh. I mainly stick in Future Section but as of recent....with all the new games releasing I just haven't really touched Vindictus unless it's for Balor.

I believe we discussed about it on the Discord? Or maybe that was just with Cube. Anyway, in case you're interested, this is the first translation of the names I did, from Japanese, and this is the second one, from Korean. Both could use some more editing/quality checking, I'll give you that, but compared with some of the names adopted by NA they're both miles ahead
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    edited February 26, 2018

I believe we discussed about it on the Discord? Or maybe that was just with Cube. Anyway, in case you're interested, this is the first translation of the names I did, from Japanese, and this is the second one, from Korean. Both could use some more editing/quality checking, I'll give you that, but compared with some of the names adopted by NA they're both miles ahead

Lol that's actually really good. It really fits with Lynn's skill types and weapon all together. I legit sat here and did a thinking pose and nodded immediately in approval after reading them all.
  • JustAName420JustAName420
    Vindictus Rep: 400
    Thank you for the laugh, but please go back to kr now.
  • ShacosclonesShacosclones
    Vindictus Rep: 810
    No.. just no
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    Vindictus Rep: 3,055
    Rage Conductor
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Thank you for the laugh, but please go back to kr now.

I'll take your suggestion into slight consideration. Though others opinions regarding the thread comes first.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    No.. just no

Elaborate?
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Puppyman wrote: »
    Rage Conductor

FeelsBadMan
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Why put any effort when Google Translator is free of charge and can be used by anybody.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Why put any effort when Google Translator is free of charge and can be used by anybody.

Because google translate is garbage when translating sentences and conversations. It can do the basic words in korean but past that its VERY inaccurate.
  • ElyrElyr

Because google translate is garbage when translating sentences and conversations. It can do the basic words in korean but past that its VERY inaccurate.

I think you need to check your irony detector