[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Blockade and Slip Dash?

Guy76Guy76
Vindictus Rep: 210
in General Discussion
Hey there guys, I was doing a bit of searching and found that Hurk's "Blockade" skill and Sword Lann's "Slip Dash" skill both have a window of .63 seconds when maxed out. Yet I read that Lann's generally require more skill then Hurk, why is that? I get that Hurk is more forgiving with his Revenge auto-heal skill, but that's to complement the health that he loses when using blockade right? Lann's on the other hand have invincibility frames, and much better follow-up with crescent moon thingy to dash back out. Which character has more survivability when it comes to late game raids and such? Sorry for nub questions x.x.

TL;DR Sword Lann and Hurk have same duration when it comes to dodge skills, but Lann has i-frames and Hurk gets damaged. Yet Lann is considered more skillfully demanding, why is that? Who is able better to solo and survive latter on in (levels 60-90ish).

Comments

• jjXjjX
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    edited November 12, 2016
    1: When we say "More skillfully demanding" it's a marginal comparison, especially between these two chars. The gulf between other chars is wider. There are great players of both classes. Lann is older so there are a few more supermaxxed Lanns.

2: Hurk has much more things going for him than Lann. Lann can get winded from OOStamina. Hurk...can't. Hurk has parry and high damage sp skills. Lann has...glides...which come up on crits (inconsistent). Blocks nullify the hitbox of the swing so that you aren't hit by the rest of the attack (see Thor's walk, which lasts 2 whole seconds) while slip dash gets shafted because it doesn't even go through the boss. I could go on, but you get the point: there are good things about both classes.

If you're new and wondering why your lvl<60 Hurk is getting shafted, I assure you it gets better. Eventually you hit the raiding life and then getting hit doesn't mean anything anymore because the average party carries in total 20 feathers 7 party feathers 1000 merc pots 50 graces and an Evie.
    Guy76
  • Guy76Guy76
    Ah TY xD. I was playing Hurk against the white bear thingy and was getting hit for like half of my health even though I dodged properly whilst healing for like 3% of my health back with Rank F revenge xD. Thought if I could dodge like this on Hurk maybe Lann too, but yeah I see now that Hurk's dodge is better for me. Lanns too diehard.
  • AequipondiumAequipondium
    Vindictus Rep: 1,965
    If you feel like another class seems to be better, I recommend changing or at least trying that other class right away. Either you realize that the other class just isn't that good, or turns out that class fits you a lot more than your current. There have been so many times where I thought that sword Vella was just a better version of sword Lann, and when I tried out Vella I learned just how much better I am at Vella than I am at Lann. I sort of regret not switching over to Vella a long time ago since I've invested way too much on my Lann to bother maining Vella now.
  • BreadmanBreadman
    Vindictus Rep: 1,680
    edited November 13, 2016
    Hurk is pretty horrible to play sub 70. When you get rank A transcendent, that's when you really start going like the energizer bunny.
  • TradespotTradespot
    Vindictus Rep: 1,795
    Yes for Hurk you just need to build your AP skills and get better gear eventually.You can absorb up to 80% damage *if i am not wrong* once you are capped.So you need to max impenetrable and get your Willpower higher.Every 100 Will adds up 1% damage reduction when you absorb a hit.The more attack you have the easier it is to recuperate HP with Revange as well:

Impenetrable:
    http://vindictus.gamepedia.com/Impenetrable

Revange:
    Rank/AP Effects
    F 0 Increases the damage of your next attack by 10%. This will restore 50 HP plus 10% of the damage inflicted, up to 400 HP. 20
    E 30 Increases the damage of your next attack by 20%. This will restore 100 HP plus 13% of the damage inflicted, up to 500 HP. 26
    D 50 Increases the damage of your next attack by 30%. This will restore 150 HP plus 16% of the damage inflicted, up to 600 HP. 30
    C 70 Increases the damage of your next attack by 40%. This will restore 200 HP plus 19% of the damage inflicted, up to 700 HP. 40
    B 90 Increases the damage of your next attack by 50%. This will restore 250 HP plus 22% of the damage inflicted, up to 800 HP. 45
    A 110 Increases the damage of your next attack by 60%. This will restore 300 HP plus 25% of the damage inflicted, up to 900 HP. 50
    Guy76
  • ParadoxParadox
    Vindictus Rep: 600
    Hurk is garbage until he is very high level, then he is one of the best classes in the game. Lann is garbage forever.
  • KourinKourin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,375
    Keep in mind that Blockade's duration goes up to 1.03 if you use it after Charge. So Hurk basically has potential to gain 1.66 seconds of invuln with his dodge. Also the running gag that all you need to play Hurk and get high DPS is to press Shift+R, which is true in some sense.
    Guy76
  • Guy76Guy76
    Yeah I tried out Lann earlier in the week, but when I saw videos of the late game raids I was beginning to doubt if I could last long with such a high skill cap character . Ty for the replies, I think I've made my mind up about sticking with Hurk. Maybe I'll go back to Lann once I know the bosses better and get a little more gold. Lanns seem pretty pricey O.o
    Xie
  • GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945
    He pretty much is, as he's the only one that really needs to get Crit before all other chars. And Crit is expensive. Also I would pick Hurk over Lann anyday, he's just that fun compare to him, point taken.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Hurk definitely needs a bit of speed, but you can mostly enjoy him so long as you have a +11 or higher, though even then to play him optimally there are times you'd have to pace yourself so that you can properly time heavy hits in order not to end up on the floor. He's also a bit meh in S3 as the boss mechanics don't respond to deflect the way the S1/S2 bosses do, meaning that you get a window to deflect, but the boss isn't staggered those they continue on as though you haven't done a thing. I double-boomed my high-enhanced 90 and really haven't regretted it, just didn't enjoy playing him in S3 at all.

Lann is definitely expensive with his need for Crit, even more so with swords. I sold off all his stuff when I got tired of that. Slowly gearing chars that feel like there's a better return on the investment has been much more enjoyable, but if I could only play one of the two, I'd probably choose Hurk as he's far less expensive overall and has a narrower curve from min to max than Lann.