[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Rework?

PorkyPigPorkyPig
Vindictus Rep: 505
in Future Content
This game has some potential, will it ever get a rework or "overhaul" similar to Warframe?

Comments

• GambIeGambIe
    Vindictus Rep: 2,820
    No
    PorkyPigAnnazJackNitroOrder5brsxSaphree
  • havoc23havoc23
    Vindictus Rep: 1,410
    the rise update was there overhaul i think......and that one sucked
    PorkyPigPrototypemindSir_RenderAnnazDelterosOrder5EngelNiburubrsxSaphree
  • PorkyPigPorkyPig
    Vindictus Rep: 505
    Thank you all for the feedback, I now know to keep my expectations as low as humanly possible going forward
    MikewerCascaSir_RenderAnnazMisterWhiskersDelterosOrder5EngelNiburuBatSnacksand 3 others.
  • DragonRiderDragonRider
    Vindictus Rep: 2,600
    Yes. This game will be reworked believe it or not. It came out in 2010 using Source engine, and they have plans to port it to the Source 2 engine, which debuted in 2015 with DOTA 2. Expect great things!
    PorkyPig
  • JackNitroJackNitro
    Vindictus Rep: 740
    PorkyPig wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback, I now know to keep my expectations as low as humanly possible going forward

I'd actually keep them even lower than that, if at all possible.
    EngelNiburu
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Vindictus Rep: 5,590
    Yes. This game will be reworked believe it or not. It came out in 2010 using Source engine, and they have plans to port it to the Source 2 engine, which debuted in 2015 with DOTA 2. Expect great things!

Actually that was never announced. DevCAT even stated they will not be going to another engine due to a complete recode of the entire game. Unless you were saying that for the lols then ignore me xD
    PorkyPigNavSir_Renderbrsx
  • NavNav
    Vindictus Rep: 915
    Waiting for source 2 port :D
    Sir_Render
  • MisterWhiskersMisterWhiskers
    Vindictus Rep: 2,615
    edited December 8, 2017
    i pray everyday that a game like vindictus will rise.

so far I found nothing similar
    Sir_Render
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    i pray everyday that a game like vindictus will rise.

so far I found nothing similar

If it makes you keep hoping I've been learning game development by working on such a thing. I've been updating everyone in the Vindi discord about it too so.....granted it's currently as an educational thing but if it actually picks up and get somewhere then I'll do what I can do make it happen. Since I'm soloing it's development (what is money for hiring developers) It's a super slow process since I'm learning starting as of really recent.
    KenshinX
  • NiburuNiburu
    Vindictus Rep: 1,430
    Nah, I think Vindi will forever just rot into its p2w hole til it finally closes down and lets us all move on with our lives.
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    edited December 10, 2017
    Since I'm soloing it's development (what is money for hiring developers) It's a super slow process since I'm learning starting as of really recent.

You will face a lot of difficulties if you do all the things yourself:
    1. if you want to create a new game (not an exact copy of another), first you will need a detailed plan of how your game is gonna work (game designing process), that itself takes a lot of time
    2. you will have to learn to make the models, textures, animations, sound effects and music (you'll also need to spend on basic sound studio equipments)
    3. and for extra, you will have to plan and code the game mechanics or even some shaders

Unless you have a lot of money to buy the assets or hire someone else to make them, it will be a very time-consuming process, not 1-2 years but 10-20 years. But if you can make a prototype or a demo of the game, maybe you will be able to get more people to work on it.

I'm doing kind of the same but i've been making a 3D sidescroller platformer (mixed with 2D elements) for a year already. Even that is a lot of work.

But i wish you a good luck! And don't forget to set small goals at first!
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Since I'm soloing it's development (what is money for hiring developers) It's a super slow process since I'm learning starting as of really recent.

1. if you want to create a new game (not an exact copy of another), first you will need a detailed plan of how your game is gonna work (game designing process), that itself takes a lot of time
    2. you will have to learn to make the models, textures, animations, sound effects and music (you'll also need to spend on basic sound studio equipments)
    3. and for extra, you will have to plan and code the game mechanics or even some shaders

Unless you have a lot of money to buy the assets or hire someone else to make them, it will be a very time-consuming process, not 1-2 years but 10-20 years. But if you can make a prototype or a demo of the game, maybe you will be able to get more people to work on it.

I'm doing kind of the same but i've been making a 3D sidescroller platformer (mixed with 2D elements) for a year already. Even that is a lot of work.

Since it's being treated as a learning experience I just set one goal at a time since I'm new to development so that way I don't get discouraged. Too much at once is bad after all xD So far I have the movement and the basic combat down. I think once i have the gameplay things done I will focus on world things in due time. But we shall see if I decide to take it further depending on it's progress.
    KenshinX
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530

Really depends on what you're wanting to do. A lot of lone devs and small groups are producing their own titles in months or years depending on what they're wanting to make. Keep in mind as well that Engines like Unreal and Lumberyard are available to greatly speed up the process. Someone who's dedicated and understands the process doesn't need decades to make a game. People have been coding and building their own games in months almost as long as PCs have existed, and with kickstarter and the ability to sell titles through Steam someone who's dedicated can do smaller projects to fund a larger scale one or even do so with others who have the same mindset. Look at AOC, a team that started with only about 6 members, and used Unreal to start producing something functional from the get go.

Sticking to the truly indie stuff:
    3 years of work: https://imgur.com/t/indie_game/8WLxm
    7 for this one because people asked them to go back and add in even more content and the like, on top of the animations being hand drawn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuphead
    Also definitely not 10-20 years: https://imgur.com/gallery/AgLIB
    5 years of solo work: https://imgur.com/t/indie_game/P0Iiih8

I know this is far afield, but people can do everything up to and including building working vehicles in the comfort of their home/garage, game design for something higher quality isn't nearly as daunting as it used to be. If he's serious about it he can produce something great, or at least the start to something great and get the backing to continue.
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    edited December 12, 2017
    Really depends on what you're wanting to do. A lot of lone devs and small groups are producing their own titles in months or years depending on what they're wanting to make. Keep in mind as well that Engines like Unreal and Lumberyard are available to greatly speed up the process. Someone who's dedicated and understands the process doesn't need decades to make a game. People have been coding and building their own games in months almost as long as PCs have existed, and with kickstarter and the ability to sell titles through Steam someone who's dedicated can do smaller projects to fund a larger scale one or even do so with others who have the same mindset. Look at AOC, a team that started with only about 6 members, and used Unreal to start producing something functional from the get go.

7 for this one because people asked them to go back and add in even more content and the like, on top of the animations being hand drawn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuphead

I know this is far afield, but people can do everything up to and including building working vehicles in the comfort of their home/garage, game design for something higher quality isn't nearly as daunting as it used to be. If he's serious about it he can produce something great, or at least the start to something great and get the backing to continue.

He was talking about a similar game to Vindi and that as a solo project. There are a lot of difficulties in it and the networking part is a coding nightmare if he wants to keep the peer-to-peer model since there is no standard way of doing that unlike the classical client-server model. Not to mention that he just started learning these.

Yes, as a beginner even i could make a basic 3D labyrinth game in Unity that had a simple goal to get out. It also had a toggleable flashlight, jump, and dynamic running (you could set the min. and max. running speed with the mouse scroll). I made the map and the scripts and one texture myself, and downloaded a texture for the wall.

If you want to make games like Agar.io or Minecraft, you can solo them in a reasonable time. I heard or read somewhere that you can't make a game in shorter time than the time needed to finish it as a player (unless it's an arena or a building type of game). It's obvious, but it's also interesting. My game could be finished in a minute and that took me 4 days to develop. It would have been less than a day if it was my job but it wasn't, and i think it's not his job either. But even if that was the case, it would take at least a month to create a map like the Gnoll Chieftain boss room from scratch and then the characters and the animations and the scripting would take another two months at least. And this if you have a lot of time for it per day and you already learned everything that's needed for it.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드

He was talking about a similar game to Vindi and that as a solo project. There are a lot of difficulties in it and the networking part is a coding nightmare if he wants to keep the peer-to-peer model since there is no standard way of doing that unlike the classical client-server model. Not to mention that he just started learning these.

Yes, as a beginner even i could make a basic 3D labyrinth game in Unity that had a simple goal to get out. It also had a toggleable flashlight, jump, and dynamic running (you could set the min. and max. running speed with the mouse scroll). I made the map and the scripts and one texture myself, and downloaded a texture for the wall.

If you want to make games like Agar.io or Minecraft, you can solo them in a reasonable time. I heard or read somewhere that you can't make a game in shorter time than the time needed to finish it as a player (unless it's an arena or a building type of game). It's obvious, but it's also interesting. My game could be finished in a minute and that took me 4 days to develop. It would have been less than a day if it was my job but it wasn't, and i think it's not his job either. But even if that was the case, it would take at least a month to create a map like the Gnoll Chieftain boss room from scratch and then the characters and the animations and the scripting would take another two months at least. And this if you have a lot of time for it per day and you already learned everything that's needed for it.

That's basically it. It's not my job but it's a learning opportunity. I'm not rushing it because if I try to learn things too quickly then nothing will come out of it.