[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Wanna go fast...

StrudulStrudul
Vindictus Rep: 325
edited August 5, 2017 in General Discussion
I used to play a 105 speed (227 with SH + Paw) sword Lann back in S2 on XE, it was never optimum, but I made it work and could be relatively competitive if I tried. However, S3 ruined Lann and speed with RNG glides and a huge requirement on crit to do any real damage...

As such, I'm looking for a new class that can make use of a max speed build without being massively compromised and useless, but I haven't played properly for a couple of years, so don't know how the classes have changed and what works anymore.

I did have a high speed Hurk, but he got lost in the migration. Used to work quite well and was kinda fun, though he was a bit buggy at the time.

Scythie is something I always wanted to try and seemed to benefit somewhat from high speed, just never got round to it.

Chain Vella was another that seemed like a good possibility, however she has (or had) the most boring easy-mode gameplay.

Any suggestions?

~Strudul, Fastest Lann EU ;)
SinCara

Comments

• Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    A Class that benefits from high speed, Bow Kai if you can hit 90 speed its godly fast(90speed is the golden point)
  • lumix345lumix345
    Vindictus Rep: 1,875
    edited August 5, 2017
    I would imagine any character would benefit from high speed, but the characters that benefit most in my opinion are Scythe Evie, Lynn, and Delia. Though I would recommend Scythe Evie above the other two.

Lynn requires a bit of added skill to land enhanced attacks that revolve around timing a pause in between attacks which can make the character seem slower than she actually is. Delia also has a similar pause mechanic which separates out her quick SP gaining attacks from her high-damage delayed attacks. As for Scythe Evie you get that added benefit of having insane reaper which will boost your speed more, allowing you to land your Marks/Threads for a pretty impressive amount of damage.

Though now that they buffed Sword Fiona's normal attack speed its been real fun linking together quick counter attacks > normal attack> Parry >continue combo into Amaranth kick. Though I am definitely biased about that last point because I main a Sword Fiona +haha
  • StrudulStrudul
    lumix345 wrote: »
    I would imagine any character would benefit from high speed
    Lann doesn't :(

High speed means sacrificing bal and crit. All Lann's damage comes from crit, so without it you do no damage and can't glide. You are also constantly out of stamina unless you play super passive, but then all that speed is wasted.
    Rezi
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Arisha.
  • SushisekiSushiseki
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    What the hell does RNG glides mean?
  • StrudulStrudul
    Sushiseki wrote: »
    It means Lann is ruined.

You can only glide (Gliding Fury / Lightning Fury) when you crit, and crits are RNG (random).
  • Weiss_OswaldWeiss_Oswald
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    edited August 5, 2017
    RNG is short for Random Number Generator. I'll leave the explanation of what that is off, and just simply say that what he means with that, is:

-Lann can only use Gliding Fury after a critical hit;
    -Lann can only Critical hit if RNG is good for you;
    -If RNG is good for you, lann crits

-Therefore, if RNG is good, lann can use Gliding fury

A Lann's next move is totally dependent on wheter your last move crited or not, you either have to be a psychic, or a cold hearted gambler to play Lann.

It shouldn't be like this.

As for the question of the thread itself, any character will be nerfed if you chip away too much crit in favor of speed, atleast thats my experience, and the math doesn't lie. One critical hit smash counts for two non critical hit smashes. 100 speed from 80 doesn't double your smashing capability.

In the end, you should aim to hit near the crit cap, and maximize the speed as much as it can, while trying not nerf your crit too much :D
  • StrudulStrudul
    edited August 5, 2017
    As for the question of the thread itself, any character will be nerfed if you chip away too much crit in favor of speed, atleast thats my experience, and the math doesn't lie. One critical hit smash counts for two non critical hit smashes. 100 speed from 80 doesn't double your smashing capability.

In the end, you should aim to hit near the crit cap, and maximize the speed as much as it can, while trying not nerf your crit too much :D
    Aye, but I haven't taken the game seriously in years and don't mind not being top tier. I managed to stay relevant in S2 and do respectable damage despite having 85 crit and 60 bal, but S3 meant that was no longer possible.

I just want something aggressive and fun to play and speed is how I do that...

I want this Lann back :c

Rezi
  • lumix345lumix345
    Vindictus Rep: 1,875
    Strudul wrote: »
    lumix345 wrote: »
    I would imagine any character would benefit from high speed
    Lann doesn't :(

High speed means sacrificing bal and crit. All Lann's damage comes from crit, so without it you do no damage and can't glide. You are also constantly out of stamina unless you play super passive, but then all that speed is wasted.

I'll agree Lann has a pretty tough curve when it comes to gearing because of how directly crit plays into his game play, but regardless he definitely does benefit from high speed because more speed = more chances to crit which means more opportunities to gliding fury.

I know he was definitely nerfed damage wise even before RISE, but I would still imagine that at least sword lanns still gets the wind-step buff along with his max of 65% to crit, so even if he has issues criting, dodging bosses attacks at the right time will allow you to crit pretty effectively albeit at sacrificing a safer gameplay.

As for spears; well yeah I have no idea how this turned out for spear lanns so I hope it didnt turn out that poorly.
    BraveBlade2
  • SefSef
    Vindictus Rep: 1,310
    reroll spear lann :D :D
    GewelliriousRezi
  • GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945
    Sef wrote: »
    reroll spear lann :D :D

^listen to the man. There's still RNG but last time I tried, I had it way easier to get crits thanks to FI, compared to swords when I have a crit every 20000 smashes.
  • SushisekiSushiseki
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    It means Lann is ruined.

You can only glide (Gliding Fury / Lightning Fury) when you crit, and crits are RNG (random).

Is this not how it has always been for lann?
  • RobertLiviaRobertLivia
    Vindictus Rep: 2,905
    Aw, did that private server get the cease and desist and is no longer? :(

Welcome back.
  • BownerBowner
    Vindictus Rep: 1,775
    I used to play a 105 speed (227 with SH + Paw) sword Lann back in S2 on XE, it was never optimum, but I made it work and could be relatively competitive if I tried. However, S3 ruined Lann and speed with RNG glides and a huge requirement on crit to do any real damage...

As such, I'm looking for a new class that can make use of a max speed build without being massively compromised and useless, but I haven't played properly for a couple of years, so don't know how the classes have changed and what works anymore.

I did have a high speed Hurk, but he got lost in the migration. Used to work quite well and was kinda fun, though he was a bit buggy at the time.

Scythie is something I always wanted to try and seemed to benefit somewhat from high speed, just never got round to it.

Chain Vella was another that seemed like a good possibility, however she has (or had) the most boring easy-mode gameplay.

Any suggestions?

~Strudul, WAS the Fastest Lann EU ;)

if you want speed then it be either hurk or vella
  • KuraiHotaruKuraiHotaru
    Vindictus Rep: 1,435
    edited August 7, 2017
    Arrow95 wrote: »
    A Class that benefits from high speed, Bow Kai if you can hit 90 speed its godly fast(90speed is the golden point)

+1

Rolling 100spd on my bow kai, using paw instead of cat as well, and don't forget the extra 30%attspd from passive buff when applied correctly. Never gets boring.
  • BigumbumBigumbum
    Vindictus Rep: 640
    #Cestus
    V0lterixRezi
  • ChianiChiani
    Vindictus Rep: 980
    edited August 7, 2017
    Sword Vella is a good option if you want speed and aggression, the attacks have minimal hit drag and with Slashing High stamina is a non-issue. She can get a little difficult to control at higher speed but for me at least that challenge is part of the fun.
  • AntoneyAntoney
    Vindictus Rep: 525

+1

Rolling 100spd on my bow kai, using paw instead of cat as well, and don't forget the extra 30%attspd from passive buff when applied correctly. Never gets boring.

what passive buff?
  • KuraiHotaruKuraiHotaru
    Vindictus Rep: 1,435
    Antoney wrote: »

+1

what passive buff?

Strafe Shot
    -Can only be used when equipped with a Bow.
    - Strafe Shot gives you a chance to increase Kai's Attack Speed when you use a Shortbow on the move.
    - Earns the 'Deft' status effect when using Strafe Shot successfully.
    - This effect increases Kai's Attack Speed, and it can be stacked 3 times.

Only time I really do this is when I just play while having fun constantly switching my combat style for example combining the 10s buff with magnumshot on longbow for 2-3 shots, though it's really not the way to go if you want dps. For dps you ignore shortbow all together.

Though in PvP it's ridiculous when you have like me 100attspd with 50% attspd buff o:)
  • Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    edited August 7, 2017
    its worth to add in that deft status effect, gives you more sp per shot of rapid fire without the buff its 21 sp per shot(63 with full rapid fire), lvl1 of the buff is 24 sp per shot(72 full rapid fire), lvl2 is 27 sp per shot (81 with full rapid fire), then at the max lvl which is lvl3 is 30sp per shot( 90 sp in total)
    KuraiHotaru