[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Feelings on new Weapon (spellsword + shotgun)

X1Guts1XX1Guts1X
Vindictus Rep: 1,795
in Hurk
Just wondering what other Hurks think about this new weapon. Not sure myself tbh.
  1. Hurks new wepaon91 votes
    1. Love it!
       27% (25 votes)
    2. Hate it!
       15% (14 votes)
    3. Might like it, not sure yet
       57% (52 votes)

Comments

• NiahselNiahsel
    Vindictus Rep: 820
    i technically love it because it trolls 2 demographics for the price of 1. the people who wanted a basic great axe that would literally play almost exactly the same for Hurk as greatsword just reskinned and the people who wanted miul yet another bimbo barby doll to dress up that feminists and thirsty guys wanted but can't have now for those reasons i have a big grin on my face

i'm not a Hurk mainer but if this all falls through well when they reveal him fully and his Ultimate i might very well end up switching from Sylas to Gun & Blade Hurk. also it's not confirmed yet that Hurk will be usin' arisha's spellsword models right?
    Quinque
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    It's going to get me to play my Hurk again, but I'm on the fence about it. I wasn't really wowed by what they showed.
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    We still don't know enough about it so I can't say. I like what we've seen so far but I completely understand people getting mad about it being given to Hurk. I'll definitely have to come up with a lighter looking armor fusion or buy that outfit if I decide to gear up with the new weapon, it just doesn't fit a full plate look imo.

Things I'm still waiting for more on:
    -Confirmation on what his survival mechanics are; does he block, invuln, gun parry? All three? None? Is that little roll in the video an attack animation or his dodge?
    -Is there any sort of reload or ammunition system?
    -Does it play his current voice clips with the attacks? The greatsword vo was specifically made to sound like the guy is fighting with something very heavy, especially in the JPN version. I don't think it would fit well with how fast these attacks seem to come out, and definitely not when he's just standing there firing a gun.
  • KourinKourin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,375
    A bit disappointed and what they showed in that video looked terrible. But I've waited too long for this to not at least give it a try.

With the changes in standing stance and whatnot, will it give us new emotes? Hurk's F5 and F7 and all but one of his poses in the avatar/beauty shop are pretty much purely GS oriented and wouldn't look right with the new weapons. I'm hoping for a new dance. pls.
  • BladehawkBladehawk
    Vindictus Rep: 1,145
    I liked what I saw, but yeah, not enough info yet to be sure. I like both Hurk and Gun Kai, so maybe Shotgun Hurk can be some weird and glorious combo of the two. All I hope for is that it's smooth and still lets Hurk fight near the boss without fear.
  • QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    Vindictus Rep: 4,960
    edited January 5, 2017
    Hurk's Sword uses the Spellsword model, but doesn't actually use Arisha's Spellsword.
  • CometCupidCometCupid
    Vindictus Rep: 1,990
    edited January 4, 2017
    It's a bit on the boring side, a rapier would have been nicer and honestly I would have liked it on Arisha instead.

Still, sword + gun combo I've been wanting for a long time and now I have it. I might actually play Hurk now.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Noburo
    Noburo said:

We still don't know enough about it so I can't say. I like what we've seen so far but I completely understand people getting mad about it being given to Hurk. I'll definitely have to come up with a lighter looking armor fusion or buy that outfit if I decide to gear up with the new weapon, it just doesn't fit a full plate look imo.

Things I'm still waiting for more on:
    -Confirmation on what his survival mechanics are; does he block, invuln, gun parry? All three? None? Is that little roll in the video an attack animation or his dodge?
    -Is there any sort of reload or ammunition system?
    -Does it play his current voice clips with the attacks? The greatsword vo was specifically made to sound like the guy is fighting with something very heavy, especially in the JPN version. I don't think it would fit well with how fast these attacks seem to come out, and definitely not when he's just standing there firing a gun.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    He only seems to have his roll for invulnerability. The dodge also is how he reloads, and you add an action--I think clicking or hitting dodge a second time with no directional input while not getting hit after the first round--to load the more powerful rounds. No rounds in the chamber causes you to reload if you fire, but it's much slower. You can also reload by pressing dodge without any movement key inputs. If you use translate on the KR site that TheDayInLove posted it explains a lot of his mechanics.

http://heroes.nexon.com/news/devnote/view?postno=302&bbsno=20
  • X1Guts1XX1Guts1X
    Now that we know a lot more about his basic mechanics, I can say, while I still think this doesn't really fit HURK thematically, it DOES seem that it will be slightly less boring than GS and PROBABLY much higher DPS in S3 raid non-solo content. If they tweak his GS (a mini-revamp) along with this release then Hurk will be a solid choice once again (GS S1-S2, Teide S3+). Still think GS needs 1) increase awakeneing gain from normal attack 2) greater SP generation from Vortex and Massacre 3) Less to almost no hit delay from 1st Smash to make it competitive with 2nd smash for trash mobs 4) Make a move towards standardizing the kind of attacks that Hurk can Deflect in S3 and since you can't deflect as much make the effect more useful and powerful + (think karok clash)
  • QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    The previous director said no second weapons and now you know why. Makes me worry about the 2nd weapons for Lynn, Arisha, Sylas, and Delia after seeing Hurk's 2nd weapon. I'm not gonna bash on the weapon because I haven't played/tried it out myself, but as of right now, everything about Hurk's 2nd weapon feels underwhelming and uninspired. I have feeling that they gave him a second for the sake of silencing those that wanted a 2nd weapon for him.
  • kls9kls9
    Vindictus Rep: 1,215
    X1Guts1X
    X1Guts1X said:

Now that we know a lot more about his basic mechanics, I can say, while I still think this doesn't really fit HURK thematically, it DOES seem that it will be slightly less boring than GS and PROBABLY much higher DPS in S3 raid non-solo content. If they tweak his GS (a mini-revamp) along with this release then Hurk will be a solid choice once again (GS S1-S2, Teide S3+). Still think GS needs 1) increase awakeneing gain from normal attack 2) greater SP generation from Vortex and Massacre 3) Less to almost no hit delay from 1st Smash to make it competitive with 2nd smash for trash mobs 4) Make a move towards standardizing the kind of attacks that Hurk can Deflect in S3 and since you can't deflect as much make the effect more useful and powerful + (think karok clash)

This is an interesting take. While GS's mechanics are very simple, I think its gameplay is much more engaging than some of the more mechanically complex weapons'. Teide actually looks like it'd be the more repetitive of the two.
    GS is still a solid choice for S3 raids as long as there aren't multiple Hurks in a given party, and that's the same for older content as well. I do think ranged classes and possibly classes that deal damage via marks have more of an advantage in particular S3 raids, but buffing Hurk is not the best solution.
  • KourinKourin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,375
    edited January 8, 2017
    Saw some more test server play. It's really meh.

GS is simple, yes, but most characters are simple using only one or two smashes at most 90% of the time so I didn't really expect too much with Teide. Teide however simply does not offer the amount of depth the GS has in terms of gameplay which is what makes or break a weapon.

With the GS, you need to know how to time your dodges and smashes well enough to avoid getting hit and running into the no stam animation, mix in Ultimatum for animation cancels and invuln frames, be in the right place and time to trigger Deflection off of a dodge, know your attack patterns so you don't use the wrong smash and utilise Blockade to cancel normal attacks. That's a lot of depth and it's what makes GS fun.

While with Teide... you do more damage with reinforced bullets. You do more damage at close range. You do more damage when you have more wounds. You'd think they'd understand that players look more for gameplay than damage at this point in time.

- The sword range is almost non existent and gives no SP and aside from putting Wound onto the target, there is not much else to it. There is even less of a point in attacking with the sword when you have a 250 SP skill that instantly puts on max Wounds onto an enemy. Cat Statue > 250 SP skill > avoid using sword attacks for the entirety of the raid. I'd go as far as to say that the sword is unusable, because it's just that bad.

- There is no real incentive for fighting far away. Literally none. The damage you deal with the shotgun is decreased considerably from a range so if you don't want to suffer in DPS, you better be point blanking everything. At which point why even bother making it a shotgun and ruining Hurk's character in the process.

- Reinforced bullets are a bit lackluster as well. They offer around 30% more damage? And aside from a minimal increase in SP gained per shot, nothing else.

- The 500 SP skill, a charged shot that destroys a wide area in front of Hurk. It should be the equal of Execution of GS, but it isn't. Aside from the fact that it doesn't even offer invuln frames like Execution, it only does damage whereas Execution would down/flinch an enemy if you had 5 stacks of Awakening.

- Hurk's mobility using Teide in comparison to GS is horrendous. Apart from running and dodging, there is no real way of getting about faster. Even the stamina regen skill that was supposed to "move you a distance so it's also good for dodging" barely covers any distance from what I saw.

- Because of the non existent mobility, should you find yourself getting caught in an attack and can't get out fast enough? Better dodge and hope you don't get hit because that's pretty much his only way of survival outside of spamming his holding skill as a last resort. Possible that the stamina regen and reload skill offer invuln, but even then that's pretty terrible.

- They nerfed his kick. Seriously. They couldn't have even kept the kick for GS and had to make a new, worse one for Teide. As if this weapon wasn't already bad enough, they decide to make even finishing off enemies for them cores that much more difficult.

There's no special gimmick, there's no real skill involved, there's no depth, it's just damage and damage and more damage. Possible that there might have been some stuff that got skipped over in the skill text or that they weren't a high enough rank, but still. With the weapon as it is now, I see no point in playing it aside from shooting stuff up every once in a long while for shits and giggles.

I voted a "maybe" in the poll, but it's pretty much a firm "no" now until they make some serious edits to the weapon before official release.

PS: The holding skill looks terrible.
    Prototypemind
  • X1Guts1XX1Guts1X
    If what you are saying is true about the max wound SP skill, I agree they will need to make changes to the Sword. In all honesty, going Gun with hurk was a horrible idea. Doesn't fit the vindictus universe at all. If anything, they should have gone with a hand cannon ( like Guts :) ) as this is a more primitive gunpowder weapon and in real life cannon did coexist with basic muskets, crossbows, horses, etc. Shotgun is way too modern of invention and just doesn't fit period.

If they wanted to introduce a ranged capability they should have gone Hand Axe + 1-handed arm cannon. Would fit the Universe better, would fit the Hurk character better, and judging from what we've seen probably could have executed in game better..
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    I know I just bashed on lockstrafe in a Vindictus gameplay thread a few weeks ago, but I feel like they could've done something with it for this weapon. In half the streams and videos I've seen people are whiffing their smashes because he ends up facing the wrong way when they click sometimes. I even saw an arena duel where two Hurks using the thade spent a good 30 seconds rolling around eachother and missing shots up close because they were turned a few degress off.

I don't know how the inputs for sword work, but they could've made it so you could hold left click after normal attacking to enter a lockstrafe mode where you aim in camera direction and do the same damage with the shells as you would in "free mode". Could also give him a second set of strafe-y wavedash dodge animations while the mode is active which cover more ground to make up for your inability to use the sword.

The class is just super barebones right now. At first I thought he'd just need a bunch of minor adjustments like what Lynn got over time which made her my 2nd favourite character, but this weapon definitely needs to have more to it.
  • AtherionAtherion
    Vindictus Rep: 3,520
    Looks rather dull atm, spam roll, shoot and keep up wound and cycle through a few sp skills.

Not exactly excited about it although I would have to try it out to form a final opinion.

• QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    Though, the 2nd weapon might make getting gold medals easier in Ein Lacher.
  • AtherionAtherion
    Vindictus Rep: 3,520
    QueenOfMana

Though, the 2nd weapon might make getting gold medals easier in Ein Lacher.
    Would be nicer if they fixed Hurk's absorb frames like they did in Kr. Not having frames trigger while the sword is on the left side can get really frustrating.
  • ArishaLArishaL
    Vindictus Rep: 1,100
    edited January 15, 2017
    2nd Weapons are nice. It keeps people from having to gear another character just to play a different style. I just hope that going forward the 2nd weapons are more interesting than just a gun of some kind. Kai seems to cover the whole gun area too well at the moment. I think lynn is next? hopefully we'll see another 2nd weapon by summer and one that gets me to play my Lynn again :D
    Bladehawk
  • JessGameJessGame
    Vindictus Rep: 1,870
    It's good to have a second option.Maybe once we try it for ourself some will end up liking it,because for now we cannot fully understand.The first gameplays didn't look that interesting but i guess it's work in the progress.This vid looks more fluid and precise than the other i have seen.Probably will get better with time since many ways to make the weapon more efficient are still to be discovered:

• QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    Yeah, even though the weapon looks and feels underwhelming, I'll still use it. Playing 2 weapons is more fun than playing 1.