[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

"Rise" update - first impressions

Comments

• PurePure
    Vindictus Rep: 1,175
    It seems like I have just lost my favorite game then...
    arkaine757MrGoldSaintGuinnessSlothPrincess
  • PortalsPortals
    Vindictus Rep: 525
    edited June 22, 2017
    Large amounts of the content in the game have become trivialized by the additional damage buff. S3 raids shouldn't be taking only 3 minutes to beat.
  • arkaine757arkaine757
    Vindictus Rep: 1,430
    edited June 22, 2017
    My first impression was "+15 it's 10x harder to be obtained now, and +10 is useless"

I remember 2 +15 weapons before "rise" who were tradable.
    1 of then it's +16 now by someone who is not very trustworthy
    The other it was already restored.

Before this "rise" your only option with a tradable +15 would be sell.
    Less than 1 day and 2 weapons who could be bough are now lost.

+10 is a joke now.

attack
    balance
    critical
    speed
    They are almost useless now

Why you even bother with strategy when you can just easily compensate all the stats above with ADD DAMAGE?

i think that's how DOL like to treat new players and casuals, making +10 useless and +15 harder.

• GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945
    I said it multiple times and I'll say it again here : this is atrocious.

A super lazy way of fixing low-lvls = everything is given to you on a diamond plate, yeah seeing how spoiled it is, it's not a silver plate anymore, we're easily leagues ahead.

QoL changes that should have been made since 3-4 years already, now it just feels empty because it's simply 'too late' = no idea why consulting our mailbox w/o being near one was made only after 6 years of this game for example. Or why can we skip dialog only after so many years as well... you tell me I guess lol.

Additional damage off the charts = I will thank MrGatto for his comparison to XE, because that's so true especially with how many NA/PRE telling us how "not so skilled"/unbalanced this combo system was. Oh look now, we have much worse via enhancement lvls. Great job guys.
    No I don't really want to defend combo system actually, even with its incentive but damn. I remember Kairo (Fiona) doing 30k CA max with +15, then I remember when I saw Juny's CAs during rise streams dealing 41k+ to Regina, with either LOWER enhancement or same +15... nice joke.

All this for ? Having the same game progression than before. But I guess you can be happy if you're settling for +12 only, which is the new mediocrity since this update.
    Maybe it's supposed to be challenging now in a way, if only the raids bosses themselves are a challenge. think people can only settle down with Neamhain, which will prolly gives no rewards unless you get the emote now.. rip

You think that was all ? Can't be Gewellirious in your head without letting a big ass wall of text first, but I'll make another thread to go in-depths of this rise update... seeing how the majority thinks like me, it looks like the "misinformed" people were the others since the beginning.
    arkaine757PhoebeHalliwel
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    edited June 22, 2017
    My first impression was:

This looks nice

pzD7nDk.jpg

This does not (multiple of the same sprite jumbled together? Who thought that was a good idea?)

NNmjazu.jpg

And this CERTAINLY does not, nothing like that late 90s ground texture feel.

dNPrtDW.jpg

4 man raids are too fast and just faceroll, bosses do too little damage now. Buddy and I got Braha to 3 bars before having to switch sides (which of course we killed just standing on their backs), and we weren't really even trying. Shouldn't be a thing.

Regular 90 runs seem to be slightly faster than before (though admittedly, it's been awhile since I've ran 'em), and I have a +15, so I can only imagine the performance of a full +10 party....not the right way to handle enhancement levels, devcat.
  • DephiyDephiy
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    Is anyone bothered by Tieve's new appearence? I feel like she lacks depth and barely looks human, more like a ghost if anything :(
  • MintchiMintchi
    Vindictus Rep: 820
    I like it so far it's so easy to level up my Karok now and the hp pot helps so much, I don't spend real cash so this helps so much.

Spending cash has no affect on how you level...
  • LeucosieLeucosie
    Vindictus Rep: 2,105
    SirRFI wrote: »
    Putting that aside - now that it's live here, how do You feel/experience about the update so far?

Lots of changes are good overall, making things easier ( skipping boats on solo/direct access to the mailbox and stuff ). But in term of actual gameplay, I feel like the game is so empty now, unchallenging and unrewarding.
    Additional damage off the charts = I will thank MrGatto for his comparison to XE, because that's so true especially with how many NA/PRE telling us how "not so skilled"/unbalanced this combo system was. Oh look now, we have much worse via enhancement lvls. Great job guys.
    No I don't really want to defend combo system actually, even with its incentive but damn. I remember Kairo (Fiona) doing 30k CA max with +15, then I remember when I saw Juny's CAs during rise streams dealing 41k+ to Regina, with either LOWER enhancement or same +15... nice joke.

Right, Xe bonus wasn't perfect but at least it rewarded our gameplay. My solo clear times for s3 are as fast, even slightly faster than perfect runs ( 0 hits ) on XE which is freaking unbelievable ( and that's without counting the upcoming full force ). Also my second counter only is dealing 55k on crit, what should it be with higher gear ? Mad update.

• IngkellsIngkells
    Vindictus Rep: 1,405
    perilous ruins looks good, but theres no reason to go there except to see how pretty it is.

being able to search dyes by color, scrolls by name, and items by enhance is good. about 7 years overdue.

being able to do everything from one board is useful. but you have to click more things, so the party fills before you get thru the menus

faster running. i like it. no issues there for me.

added things to expertise with easier recipes is nice. removing things from npcs so i have to switch characters for expertise is lame. im lucky that i have them all maxed, but what about the nubs that dont?

gonna take a while getting used to no loading screen between the town and the docks, but its a small price to pay. this laptop is slow at loading screens. and everything.

new trans skills are neat.

even tho parties are smaller and have less hp, it means everyone has to take on more responsibility. i like that

its nice seeing how much more damage i do now. but things die too fast. sometimes cant even use sp moves. and then my ego deflates when i see the results screen. 28k with a +12, bal capped, high crit, yet any casual thats lucky enough to have a +15 can more than double my deeps cuz of add damage. being first is nice but i dont feel entitled to it. but being so easily outclassed is irritating. 'getgudbro.' i am, thats why it sucks.

fast forwarding npc chat is good. skipping it completely would be even better.

my alts didnt have weapons anymore, but now they are somewhat viable. thanks.

hero mode is basically the old hard mode. what was the point of that.

no more seals from the s1-s2 ex raids. irritating at face value, but maybe itll help the economy. been broke for a long time now. alms for the poor? on a side note, that chat quest was way too much clicking. thanks for removing it.

tl;dr. i like a lot of the QoL changes. miffed about add damage. sold a +15 before rise was announced. i mean i coulda benefited from that, but there is no challenge left in this game besides rng, which is more luck than skill anyway
  • BladeXAngelBladeXAngel
    Vindictus Rep: 1,805
    edited June 22, 2017
    got a +15 2 days before RISE, and felt really satisfied and was very happy until I realized now it's +20. Totally destroyed my satisfaction. Before I know if i try hard enough, 1 day I may get a +15, now +20 I know i'll never be able to reach. getting more and more troubled, and quitting sometimes show up now in my mind.

ranking system: stupid as FK! how the fk can you give crit res 300 points when the whole point of the game is based on skills and NOT TO GET HIT. Now people are just chasing after points and not optimal stats. With the new ES system, I could have gone enthu on my heavy head and legs, and put another fast on myself. But if i do it, my rank goes from #1/#2 to #3/#4. cuz if i do that, i lose around 8% crit res=2400 points, gain 5 atk spd=1500 points. STUPID! ABSOLUTELY STUPID!

I like how they changed S1E1 tho, brings some freshness into the old content, but mobs weak, nothing to do there. I won't be able to see it very often.
    Killing 8 man raid, stupid even more.

Can't see dmg done to neam at the recap, I don't like it. Let's be honest, what feels better than when you can do more dmg than the rest of the group?

New event? Stupid as fk. THERE IS NO NEW PLAYER COMING AND YOU ARE DREAMING IF YOU THINK RISE WILL BRING NEW PLAYERS. Fking forcing me to open 2 computers and run s1e1 battles 5 times a day.

Quick dye search: HOW ABOUT LET YOU INPUT THE RGB #? You derpcat put in so many useless/unpopular dyes, and excluded colors like "200/159/35"

I do like the new trans skills, but CD is a bit too long.

useless/failures are way more than useful updates. overall my rating for RISE: I WOULD RATHER IT DID NOT HAPPEN AT ALL.

CAN'T YOU JUST FKING OPEN A CBT SERVER like blizzard does so people can test out the new content and you can collect data and comments on these before releasing?
    arkaine757MrGoldDonGloverHerucross
  • SlyGoatSlyGoat
    Vindictus Rep: 500
    The QoL changes are good, everything else is trash. 90% of the game now only exists to rush you to level 90 so you can get on board the +20 enhancement treadmill, because Nexon realized that's where most of their cash comes from as people dump money into enhance runes, blow up gear, try again. Hence why you can't even enhance after reviving an item anymore, gets you on to the next weapon quicker so you buy more enhance runes.
    MrGold
  • BladeXAngelBladeXAngel
    edited June 22, 2017
    SlyGoat wrote: »
    The QoL changes are good, everything else is trash. 90% of the game now only exists to rush you to level 90 so you can get on board the +20 enhancement treadmill, because Nexon realized that's where most of their cash comes from as people dump money into enhance runes, blow up gear, try again. Hence why you can't even enhance after reviving an item anymore, gets you on to the next weapon quicker so you buy more enhance runes.

That's so true. Everything about vindi now is based on what's the most optimal way to milk the player base as much as possible.

QOL changes??????????? Aren't you feeling your life is a whole lotta miserable now compare to before the update? WHERE DA FAQ IS THE QUALITY OF LIFE? Makes me fking question my life.
    MrGold
  • BladeXAngelBladeXAngel
    lol i think i'm feeling more raged as i wrote my comments.
    Gewellirious
  • CherishedCherished
    Vindictus Rep: 875
    I love the changes to launching and restarting battles. That's about it.

Ultimately I think RISE fails to do what it set out to do while causing much harm elsewhere. They tried to redesign the lower level content to capture the interest of new players better than it was at the time. Personally, I fell in love with Vindictus back when leveling was difficult. Back when it took effort just to kill group bosses and you actually had to learn your new abilities as you leveled. It was tough, but so rewarding when you felt like you were improving as you leveled.

I can't imagine anyone falling in love with the game at a low level now. There's no interest in fighting bosses that fall over in 1-2 smashes. If nothing requires any effort, there is no feeling of reward, and without reward, how is any new player going to acquire the motivation to push on and see the higher levels?

The silliest part of how RISE was executed here was not releasing level 95. There is a growth goal for 95 but we still can't gain experience at 90. Maybe if we were level 95 then the additional damage changes would feel less broken because we would have newer, more difficult content to do with them and they would feel more appropriate. Instead the damage changes have completely trivialized everything there is to do, even Season 3, while we still have no reason to farm for the same things that have been available for two years now and have fallen to little value over that time. What we have now is a Vindictus that offers nothing during its leveling experience and little more than nothing at max level.

Then of course there are the enhancement changes which will likely cause me to leave the game entirely. It feels like the game I have loved for so long is now permanently crippled!
    KayoAemskeyGewelliriousPrototypemindszeng19950
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325

A lot of us vented a bit when the changes happened in KR, and we're in that accepting the reality of it phase, so:

tumblr_lgxpiaKYy91qa556so1_500.png
    Gewellirious7th_Sister
  • 2edgy4u2edgy4u
    Vindictus Rep: 2,915
    i haven't had a chance to download it yet, and not really feeling enthusiastic about another afk-for-cosmetics event with no new content.

i'll be excited when all these changes bring in those fabled new players though. any minute now...
  • GewelliriousGewellirious
    Vindictus Rep: 2,945

Quitted before Rise because I expected all that sh*t happening right now, and I was indeed right hehe. So yeah, posting now because seeing that, for REAL, the game indeed 'died', it's simply 'pissing me off' now, when I was actually calm when I quitted but now that you see confirmations of game being really empty, it's just sad.. too sad.

4 years of Vindi was a good run I guess...
    Xie
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    edited June 22, 2017
    My first impression was the much better fps. But after running a couple of S2 raids and an S3 raid i realized it's much worse than it was.

Nexon/DevCat is against party play, at the least the reducing of max. party members is definitely against it. I think it's a matter of course that people play MMO's for the party because there are other genres for solo play. Since now there's nothing worth to do except the S3 bosses and Neamhain my most disliked part of the game i should look for another game.
  • MrGoldMrGold
    Vindictus Rep: 1,490
    edited June 22, 2017
    The best thing about this update is realizing the reality of why you can't invest heavily into games anymore. I hope everyone who has truly realized what this update is all about, never forgets this moment, and applies financial restraint with future games. It's not about the players anymore, it's only about the money.
    LeucosieZiggyStardust
  • SlyGoatSlyGoat
    Vindictus Rep: 500
    Cherished wrote: »
    Personally, I fell in love with Vindictus back when leveling was difficult. Back when it took effort just to kill group bosses and you actually had to learn your new abilities as you leveled. It was tough, but so rewarding when you felt like you were improving as you leveled.

I fell in love with it back when the Gnoll Chieftain kicked my ass and I had to grind out that battle a few times before I got the hang of it, then went on to farm it for my first set (****' loved throwing spears at its helmet for the break off, too). Back when combat was slow and methodical and full parties would wipe to the **** polar bear.

New players coming to the game now will not get any experience even close to that until they reach absolute end game, and even then most of the content will be too tough for them to solo because of gear checks so they'll have to join a party and get carried.

Honestly though, I see no way of fixing this even before this update. The fact is the game's playerbase isn't nearly healthy enough to have players spread out through different levels of game content. Anyone coming to the game today is going to have to mostly solo from 1 til 90 unless they know someone else who plays, because the game is so dead. Then even at 90 they'll have to take whatever parties they can get which will often mean putting off story quest raids until they find a host if they can't host it themselves (because we STILL have P2P hosting, in 2017). Throwing in too much of a challenge with no guarantee that player swill be able to find a party to overcome that challenge if they can't do it alone is going to cause people to quit as well.

I think at the end of the day Vindictus is just at that point where it's never going to come back no matter what they do, so it's no surprise they're just trying to milk it. The engine is outdated, the game is bloated with too much irrelevant content, they'd basically have to just start everyone with a level 90 character and decent gear to balance out progression, and that still doesn't fix all the problems with the game design in S3 in general.