[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

What's happening to my Fiona?

CinderFoxCinderFox
Vindictus Rep: 300
edited December 10, 2016 in Fiona
Hi everyone and sorry to bother you.

I'm back playing Vindictus after a 2 months break and I have a serious issue with my Fiona (main character). I've been looking for patch notes or something, but I couldn't find any explanation to my problem. Also, I know there are some differences between XE and Premiere, so I'm currently playing the XE version (until the merge is completed), if that helps.

My Fiona doesn't block anymore...?
The animation is displayed correctly, but she doesn't block enemy hits. She takes full damage and the guard is broken, no matter if I stand still and keep guarding like a noob or I perfect guard every single hit. I just get hit. Parry doesn't activate.
Shield Deflection, instead, works perfectly. The problem is that, obviously, I can't just deflect, since without counterattacks my DPS is abysmal. I can't keep playing my Fiona in these conditions.
I've also played a couple other characters (Delia and Evie) without any problem.

Did something happen to Fiona? Any idea? I really don't know what to do. I don't even know what to think of...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JackNitroJackNitro
    Vindictus Rep: 740
    edited December 10, 2016
    This might not help, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Can you not block any attack, or just certain attacks? How soon before the attack hits are you blocking? When you successfully deflect, does the actual deflect sound lag behind?

The answer might simply be your ping. Everything you've described sounds like my experiences on Fiona every time my latency is acting up, and since I'm stuck on god-awful DSL, that's quite often. When your ping is very high, attacks will go right through your shield, but for whatever reason, deflect still seems to work just fine (AFAIK the hit detection for block is probably host or server side and for deflect its client side?). The telltale sign here is that when you successfully deflect, the "clang" sound will play about a second after its supposed to. Additionally, your attacks should be noticeably slower, even without hit drag.

The next time you notice it happening, or even right now, run a test on pingtest.net and see what you get. Packet loss should be 0% and Ping should be in the double digits (ignore jitter). If its really bad, let me know and if its not, well, I tried.
    CinderFox
  • CinderFoxCinderFox
    edited December 10, 2016
    JackNitro
    JackNitro said:

This might not help, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Can you not block any attack, or just certain attacks? How soon before the attack hits are you blocking? When you successfully deflect, does the actual deflect sound lag behind?

The answer might simply be your ping. Everything you've described sounds like my experiences on Fiona every time my latency is acting up, and since I'm stuck on god-awful DSL, that's quite often. When your ping is very high, attacks will go right through your shield, but for whatever reason, deflect still seems to work just fine (AFAIK the hit detection for block is probably host or server side and for deflect its client side?). The telltale sign here is that when you successfully deflect, the "clang" sound will play about a second after its supposed to. Additionally, your attacks should be noticeably slower, even without hit drag.

The next time you notice it happening, or even right now, run a test on pingtest.net and see what you get. Packet loss should be 0% and Ping should be in the double digits (ignore jitter). If its really bad, let me know and if its not, well, I tried.
    Thanks for your answer!

Not sure... After I died joining a S2 boat, I left the party and went against some S1 raid bosses to test it (I'm still in the game trying to figure it out). It seems like sometimes (and particularly against certain attacks), the block works, but the weird thing is that sounds and animations come at the same time and there are no other signs of high latency (at least, nothing I can notice) and it seems like guarding with large advance doesn't help.

I'm against Aghlan, for example, and its roll attack always hit me (instead of bouncing me back with no damage, as I'm used to) even if I stand still blocking for several seconds. The same thing is happening against CBH (any hammer attack, but for some reason I can sometimes block the stomp).

I've been playing for 2 years (didn't change my PC or my internet in the last 6 months) and this never happened before. Is it somehow possible to record with the in-game capture and get a functional link here (not sure if that helps)?

EDIT: Pingtest says 37ms ping. It shouldn't be too bad...
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    edited December 10, 2016
    When I checked the EU forums for threads about the UI lag, there was a confirmed bug that Fiona's guard just doesn't block after 3 attacks or something. I can dig it up if you'd like, last I checked they said it was going to be fixed at some point and everyone was mad because of how critical of a bug it is.

Here: https://forum.nexoneu.com/showthread.php?1552643-Fiona-Guard-bug-after-patch-1-73
    CinderFoxJackNitroOrder5
  • CinderFoxCinderFox
    Noburo
    Noburo said:

When I checked the EU forums for threads about the UI lag, there was a confirmed bug that Fiona's guard just doesn't block after 3 attacks or something. I can dig it up if you'd like, last I checked they said it was going to be fixed at some point and everyone was mad because of how critical of a bug it is.

Here: https://forum.nexoneu.com/showthread.php?1552643-Fiona-Guard-bug-after-patch-1-73
    Oh...wow... so this is actually a bug? That's exactly what is happening to me.

It's a... HUGE one! Of course the character is unplayable...

Well, thank you, Noburo! I believe there's nothing that can be done about it, then, and that I just have to wait until I can play Fiona again. It sounds absurd, however!

Thanks!
  • RenkotsuRenkotsu
    Vindictus Rep: 1,240
    I recently came back after a 4 month break and i was raging again when i did titan on my fiona ,everytime he use his spear attack i get hit no matter what , wether if its perfect guard or even heavy stander.

Im glad im not the only one experiencing this issue.I wonder how long this bug has been going on , probably awhile
  • SpagtheTapDancerSpagtheTapDancer
    Vindictus Rep: 430
    Is this issue still happening?
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    edited December 28, 2016
    The bug has been fixed on the eu version as of the 1.74 update and never existed in the na version as far as I know. It started with the 1.73 update, which was eu's Abyssal Arena/Tower of Struggles patch.

Getting hit by Titan's ballista toss after perfect guarding the first hit is normal, fiona's perfect block frames aren't extended on hit like Karok's or Arisha's for example, so she'll usually get hit by the 3rd and sometimes 2nd hit of that attack. Getting hit in heavy stander should not happen though.
  • SpagtheTapDancerSpagtheTapDancer
    Vindictus Rep: 430
    edited December 28, 2016

thanks for the clarification. I was considering playing Fiona and this had me worried.