[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Attacks you can't Cross Cut?

TauzentBlitzTauzentBlitz
Vindictus Rep: 300
edited November 25, 2016 in Vella
Besides projectiles, is there any rhyme or reason to attacks you might not be able to cross cut? I can't figure it out... For example, I can cross cut the polar bears jump-shockwave but controlled black hammer's is impossible. If there's some general rule I could follow instead of getting hit several times in order to confirm it's impossible it would help a lot.

Comments

• TradespotTradespot
    Vindictus Rep: 1,795
    TauzentBlitz

Besides projectiles, is there any rhyme or reason to attacks you might not be able to cross cut? I can't figure it out... For example, I can cross cut the polar bears jump-shockwave but controlled black hammer's is impossible. If there's some general rule I could follow instead of getting hit several times in order to confirm it's impossible it would help a lot.
    Well,good observation.

Don't worry thoe,you can use the cross-cut on the most part of them.You just happened to stumble on one of the *few* exceptions.There is some others,but you will eventually memorize them all.

There is obvious ones like the red flashing attacks in S3 but others like Zecallion when he gets in Rage mode,ect, that you have to discover as you go.Like i said they are very rare and cross-cut happens to be a very conveniant skill in that regard.
  • GldPhoenixGldPhoenix
    Vindictus Rep: 1,020
    Elchulus stomp attack is not cross-cut-able, CBH jump attack and a feew other things i can't remember off the top of my head
  • EnigmaTaroEnigmaTaro
    Vindictus Rep: 3,815
    edited November 25, 2016
    GldPhoenix

Elchulus stomp attack is not cross-cut-able, CBH jump attack and a feew other things i can't remember off the top of my head
    For the xcut, as long as you do the xcut a little distance from his hitbox, it'll still work fine.
    But in general it's annoying, because delia can actually block the stomp fine.
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    My rule of thumb is that if a blocking character needs to perfect frame something or can't block it at all, you can't cross cut it. Exceptions are attacks that have both blockable and unblockable hitboxes, like Beokros' ice claw which you can only cross cut if you're not standing where the claws will hit.

Then there's the weird attacks as mentioned above that don't follow these rules. Off the top of my head, Ikrium's clashable move is another one that doesn't work if you're right under him.
  • Riy45Riy45
    Vindictus Rep: 710
    I'm pretty sure a perfect cut works on elchulus' stomp.
    The most annoying uncrossable attacks I can think of are juggernauts charge and alot of non-red attacks from eochaid.
    It mostly comes down to memorization.
  • KatlynnKatlynn
    Vindictus Rep: 1,105
    Elchulus stomp attack is now cross-able, tested with regular double cross and perfect double double cross, you get a sound of being hit but you get no damage at all similar to Controlled Black Hammer swing attack.
  • OkatsuOkatsu
    Vindictus Rep: 1,665
    edited December 1, 2016
    Some attacks are considered Unblockable (not to be confused with red attacks)
    This means they can only be blocked by characters that have, what are considered "Perfect Blocks"

It's pretty hard to discern which attacks are blockable and which are not since at this stage in the game every single character who has a block have perfect blocks. Vella is the only character who has a block that isn't perfect and it's impossible to be made so since there really is no blocking action. Vella's "block" happens the moment an attack passes through your cross stance and you've proc'd a cross cut with your smash key. If they were to make vella's block perfect it would go along the lines of making her completely invulnerable for the entire duration of cross stance even if you don't use cross cut, which would be extremely broken.

An example of an unblockable attack would be Havan's ground slam or Eochaids forward lunge, you'll notice that with proper timing every character with a block (Fiona, Karok, Hurk, Lynn, Arisha and Delia) can block these attacks because their blocks are perfect. Vella cannot cross cut these attacks clearly. The only difference between vella's block and all these other character's blocks is that these characters are granted a short period of invulnerability as soon as they press a button. Vella doesn't get vulnerability from one button press but two so it's almost like her block doesn't exist (seeing as the "block" is actually the activation of cross cut)
    There are also some boss moves that have 2 separate hit boxes from what I understand. Examples being the shockwave attack that muir does or as you mentioned Controlled Black Hammer's jump. These moves have an unblockable hitbox attached to the boss but the area of effect that comes out is blockable. If you don't stand under CBH when he jumps you should be able to perfect cross it, same goes for muir where you can cross the shockwave but if you get hit by his fist you'll be knocked over.

I tried to word it as best as I could to try and have this make sense but it's a bit confusing I'd imagine. The best advice I could give you is try and cross cut everything. You'll soon learn all the moves that can be cross cut and what can't. This game is all about trial and error after all.