[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Should we be concerned?

QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
Vindictus Rep: 4,960
edited April 16, 2019 in General Discussion
Disney offered controlling stake of Nexon: report
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190417000561

giphy.gif

Comments

• EmerthystEmerthyst
    Vindictus Rep: 2,690
    Another pawn in the quest for disney's pseudo monopoly (that is slowly becoming a real one)
    Pifi
  • QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    edited April 16, 2019
    “What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids ... (consumers) gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death,” Kim Jung-ju is quoted.

LOL
    GhengisJohnTwlnDrachus
  • PrettyPrincessPrettyPrincess
    Vindictus Rep: 1,125
    Ugh, to be at the mercy of capitalist overlords...

Nexon is one thing but Disney is probably more cutthroat and ruthless despite their smiling exterior, kinda like Martha Stewart, maybe.

I don't really know how much influence they'd have over Nexon, but they wouldn't hesitate to shut down a game without warning, like they did with Marvel Heroes. All it'd take is one too many quarters not meeting revenue expectations or someone like K*taku running an outrage article about sexism, and boom... no more Vindictus. Or even worse, the game stays but they censor a bunch of stuff.

That site loads really slowly for me so here's the text if anyone else has the same problem. At least as far as I can tell, it's Nexon approaching Disney as a proposal rather than Disney showing interest, which I suppose is a good thing. I can't really see why Disney would want to inherit any reputation from Nexon's properties.

Disney offered controlling stake of Nexon: report
    By Lim Jeong-yeo

Published : Apr 17, 2019 - 13:47
    Updated : Apr 17, 2019 - 17:15

The controlling stake in South Korea’s biggest game company Nexon may end up in the hands of Walt Disney Co., a report suggested Wednesday.

The anticipated price for the stake to go on sale is 15 trillion won ($13.2 billion), with premiums for business management rights on top of the Nexon Japan share price, which closed up slightly at 1,681 yen ($15) Tuesday, but slid to 1,558 yen as of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The Korean daily JoongAng Ilbo quoted the international banking industry as saying that NXC Chairman Kim Jung-ju personally approached a high-ranking Disney representative to discuss acquisition matters.

Kim Jung-ju (NXC)

In early January, Kim announced the intention to sell his and his wife’s 98.64 percent majority stake in NXC, the holding company of Nexon Japan with a 47.02 percent stake. Nexon Japan completely owns Nexon Korea.

By March, shortlisted in the Nexon bid were Kakao, MBK Partners with Netmarble, Tencent, Bain Capital and an undisclosed foreign establishment.

But Disney reportedly has a special place in Kim’s heart.

“What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids ... (consumers) gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death,” Kim Jung-ju was quoted as saying in an anecdote in Nexon’s foundation story, “Play,” published in 2015. He was referring to the common practice of effectively requiring players to make in-game purchases.

Nexon was founded in Seoul in 1994. It posted its own record of 2.5 trillion won revenue in 2018. Nexon Japan had roughly 2.5 trillion won in cash reserves as of end-2018. Nexon’s new high-end mobile game “Traha” has garnered over 4.1 million advance sign-ups in Korea alone, hinting at another revenue boost for the company.

Disney was unable to comment at the time of writing. Nexon and NXC also could not offer comments.
    Pifi
  • EmerthystEmerthyst
    Vindictus Rep: 2,690
    Although it is scary how many people are willing to give up thousands of dollars to disney owned properties due to nostalgia. They own a surprising amount of the entertainment industry these days like abc, espn, hulu, maker studio and now fox. It's hard to avoid the mouse.
    Pifi
  • JamesGrossJamesGross
    Vindictus Rep: 2,600
    If disney buy them the only thing we need to worry about is having too much stuff release all at the same time.
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    If Disney takes over, maybe we'll once again see good equipment designs in the form of actual armor instead of skimpy crap.
  • VinVinVinVin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,265
    An USA company buying Nexon?

Great, prepare for the female characters to be in burkas...
    Pifi
  • AbyssofthorAbyssofthor
    Vindictus Rep: 1,345
    It seems Disney wants a piece everything these days but can they do any worse then Nexon o.O
  • VinVinVinVin
    It seems Disney wants a piece everything these days but can they do any worse then Nexon o.O

Yes. In addition to being greedy like Nexon, they can go "western mode" and begin censoring costumes and underwears (of the ladies only...)
    I'd prefer any asian company to buy Nexon, even that piece of trash called "Tencent".
    Pifi
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    edited May 1, 2019
    “What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids ... (consumers) gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death,” Kim Jung-ju is quoted.

LOL

Continuing from the article:
    "...Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death,” Kim Jung-ju was quoted as saying in an anecdote in Nexon’s foundation story, “Play,” published in 2015. He was referring to the common practice of effectively requiring players to make in-game purchases.

You know, if he felt that way FOR REAL, why did he never push for changes?

Oh well. If this means I get my Vidictus Pixar crossover with the Avengers where Lann dual wields lightsabers I'm cool with it.
    ItZcabooseChooChooPifi
  • TwlnTwln
    Vindictus Rep: 1,015
    edited May 1, 2019
    RIP if Disney let's Electronic Arts handle their games. Again. Like star wars battle front

(Edit)

LOL

Continuing from the article:
    "...Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death,” Kim Jung-ju was quoted as saying in an anecdote in Nexon’s foundation story, “Play,” published in 2015. He was referring to the common practice of effectively requiring players to make in-game purchases.

You know, if he felt that way FOR REAL, why did he never push for changes?

Oh well. If this means I get my Vidictus Pixar crossover with the Avengers where Lann dual wields lightsabers I'm cool with it.
    The shade being thrown at other companies p2w is hilarious still given nexon does it themselves. Current head of nexon is a hypocrite LOL
  • VinVinVinVin
    edited May 6, 2019
    The latest news is that Disney has no intentions of buying Nexon. Good, that was a close call.

Pifi
  • TwlnTwln
    edited May 6, 2019
    VinVin wrote: »
    The latest news is that Disney has no intentions of buying Nexon. Good, that was a close call.

Not only did Disney say no, their rejection of Nexon caused Nexon stocks to drop 8.3%.

Anyways I think Tencent gonna purchase Nexon
    Pifi
  • PifiPifi
    Cloakshire wrote: »
    If Disney takes over, maybe we'll once again see good equipment designs in the form of actual armor instead of skimpy crap.

I'm all for you getting more armor designs that you like, even if I hate them, or think your character is uglyaf and or prudish looking. I support your freedom.

Dress your character in a burka for all I care, but I am not afraid of a few nekked pixels personally. So please get off what others do for fun, and create your own fun. Because that's what everyone with any sense of decency does (you don't see me or others on here bashing your granny armors).

You don't like nekked pixels, then stop looking at them grandma, easier done than said. If you want to be free, then you have to support freedom.
    Twln
  • QueenOfManaQueenOfMana
    You know what would be ironic? If every company drops out and decides against buying Nexon. Not only would that be funny, but sad too.
    Twln
  • TwlnTwln
    Anyone know when Nexon sells this month? I wanna know who gets Nexon property
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    edited May 8, 2019
    Pifi wrote: »
    Cloakshire wrote: »

I'm all for you getting more armor designs that you like, even if I hate them, or think your character is uglyaf and or prudish looking. I support your freedom.

Dress your character in a burka for all I care, but I am not afraid of a few nekked pixels personally. So please get off what others do for fun, and create your own fun. Because that's what everyone with any sense of decency does (you don't see me or others on here bashing your granny armors).

You don't like nekked pixels, then stop looking at them grandma, easier done than said. If you want to be free, then you have to support freedom.

Firstly. I dunno where this whole burka buzzword came from nor do I get why you're using it when I wasn't even the one that mentioned it. I know this is my nostalgia talking, but way back when, all characters, both male and female, wore armor into battle. To me, Vin is about epic boss fighting and being clad it epic looking armor adds to the experience and helps maintain the atmosphere. Some of the skimpier sets like Evie's wonderland set are perfectly fine in my opinion. My issue is with the sets that are nothing more than tasteless fanservice, with tasteless being the key word. There's nothing wrong if an armor set happens to show off some skin. It's honestly the modern looking pieces that I dislike. Both of these show off the chest, but one does it tastefully while the other doesn't.

30hme0.jpg

Secondly, where in my one sentence post was I on other people's fun? Did I make mention of them removing or discontinuing the skimpier outfits? No. All I did was say that if Disney took over, we might get some actual armor sets instead of skimpy stuff. Looks like you tried to read between the lines for some ulterior meaning in my words rather than taking them literally. Hope the false sense of defending other people's fun was worth it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thirdly, why are you spelling naked, as nekked?

Lastly, nice try to be subtly insulting by calling me a grandma. It's nice to see you alive and well Pifi. I thought you disappeared last March after I thoroughly rebuttal'ed you in a few threads that you saw fit to attack me in.
  • KinjiShinigamiKinjiShinigami
    Vindictus Rep: 100
    **** Nexon a bunch of their workers are pathetic and can't even get a game running correctly, I'm coming back from a 4 year break only to get "Response from Server Delay" "Please try again later" message a big **** YOU pretty much