[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Onslaught...

Comments

• TheDazzlingTheDazzling
    Vindictus Rep: 3,295
    This mode is absolutely cancer :o you can be on top of the enemy team by alot cuz your skill level is simply higher than theirs... but what do they do?

press F then left click all at the same time and they just............ instantly win regardless of playing poorly for like 8 minutes :/

LoyalCasher
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    edited September 12, 2018
    This mode is absolutely cancer :o you can be on top of the enemy team by alot cuz your skill level is simply higher than theirs... but what do they do?

press F then left click all at the same time and they just............ instantly win regardless of playing poorly for like 8 minutes :/

I think am am starting to enjoy it just for that. Can't take it serious this way ;-) Course some how it always seems to be my team that has 7 or so statues making us spin.

Most recent one... we were winning then:

2018_09_12_0000.jpg

(There are 10 statues there... and likely we had killed 1 or 2 by that time.)
    Anthonytonyboy
  • LoyalCasherLoyalCasher
    Vindictus Rep: 920
    edited September 13, 2018
    I find this mode insanely fun... Even more fun when teammates start arguing with each other or... competing with each other for MVP and then dropping like flies.

It doesn't seem that simple to me... Maybe try not to die... :'(
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360

You can be first in a race, but lose the lead in one of last seconds / minutes / laps. Even in marathons there is strategy involved, so it's not just about enduring the long run. Same here - strategy is involved and the end result matters.

Winning gives you access to stats, including damage (ATK & Crit one also increases ATT Limit) and losing gives statues, which is de-facto only way to affect opposing team (aside from not killing intrusion boss for some reason). What you described could have been either turn around, or all planned strategy. What if they allowed your team to build strong advantage, so they can later use more than 3 statues, possibly effectively preventing your team from doing anything? This is risky though, because there may be not enough time to get the points back and win. Some teams are able to resist statue spam due to poor execution (such as bad timing or placing next to each other) or taking care of them quickly. The latter can be done easier by strong independent* (characters dealing damage without condition, like Vella's crosscut) classes, especially on low health since Add DMG is increased below 3000 HP.
  • TheDazzlingTheDazzling
    Vindictus Rep: 3,295
    I find this mode insanely fun... Even more fun when teammates start arguing with each other or... competing with each other for MVP and then dropping like flies.

It doesn't seem that simple to me... Maybe try not to die... :'(

is hard not to die when there's 100 statues on my side, constantly making me fly in the air while having 0 stamina + glas hitting me.

and tbh I don't think " We throw all statues soon as 1 person dies on enemy team." is a strategy... is just a really cheap move to secure the win

Speaking of securing the win, I've seen some people that I'm not gonna name, getting into onslaught with alt accounts on the other side to make it a 3 v 2 just to get more points, so as for Season 1 of onslaught there's nothing much I can do other than get bent over by things I can't control :( other than that the idea of this mode is super fun :D they just made it totally unbalanced u_u (Like Miri on PvE) .

"are you actually getting mad over onslaught...? "

-YES >:C I WANTED THOSE GOOD LOOKING EMBLEMS </3 T ^ T
  • ikeviikevi
    Ip8guCq
    boo4u wrote: »
    Onslaught with 6 vind chars

ez win guaranteed if ur pc isnt pleb

Bah I don't even have more than 2 characters with over 37k att power +195 tech ;-)
  • noctrednoctred
    Vindictus Rep: 2,875
    edited September 16, 2018
    Issues with Onslaught in my eyes, in no particular order -

1. RNG statue distribution. It's possible, though not super likely, for one person on the trailing team to get every statue from every relevant kill. In a meta where you ideally want to be able to throw three statues at once and continue stacking from there, having only one statue at your disposal when you finally get an opportunity to turn the match is pretty dumb. It's much more common for only two people on a team to see statues while the third player never does - happened to me plenty of times.

Suggestion: statue distribution should always be prioritized to a player who does not already have a statue.

2. RNG statue debuff distribution. Got 7 statues down on your side but they're all stam drain and/or slows? You have a decent chance of surviving, especially if you have classes who have high mobility or don't care about stamina. Got 3 statues down on your side and two of them are floaters? Hope that either a) you have at least two players alive, or b) the statues are stacked on top of each other. There's no rhyme or reason and RNG ultimately determines your fate once the statues start going down.

Suggestion: at the very least, there should be a way to distinguish which statue applies which debuff the instant they land so teams can prioritize before **** hits the fan. Beyond that I dunno... you can't really let players manually choose the debuffs as then we'd only ever see one type of statue.

3. Floaties. God forbid two players die, invasion on your side, three statues go down, and the last player alive picks the wrong statue to sit on. There's a good chance your whole team will end up stuck in the rez > float > death loop till the end of the match. Might as well go afk. I understand that dying late game should be punished - that's fine. What's not fine is zero counterplay. You can't control rez timers either so... one person resurrects, gets insta floated, dies. Next person resurrects, gets insta floated, dies. Repeat till the match ends. Quality gameplay boys.

Suggestion: remove staggered rez timers (have a static timer that ticks globally for the whole team instead) or provide brief immunity to status effects when a player resurrects so they don't get insta fcked before they can even respond. Preferably the latter as the former comes with its own set of issues.

4. Character disparity. Really a few cases to be made here. For one, the mode's all about front loaded damage - characters who have it will be able to snowball the match faster and will simultaneously be able to drive comebacks harder than characters who don't. Characters requiring setup for their damage are at a natural disadvantage and are a borderline liability when **** hits the fan and you need to clear your map quickly. For two, being able to ignore stamina, either offensively or defensively, is huge in the clutchiest of clutch situations (read: not situations where jacksht is happening and you have time to regen a full bar of stamina after each normal kill) and, again, can turn certain characters into a borderline liability while exaggerating the effectiveness of others. For three, being able to rage on demand is similar in effect to ignoring stamina in terms of what it does to a character's effectiveness, especially when it comes to ramping after a death.

Suggestion: no idea dude. I never actually expected this mode to balanced from a character perspective.

5. No statue limits. I mean to be honest I don't even feel good when I win a match after being behind for 8 minutes because one person on the other team made a small mistake and 20 seconds later there are 10 statues down on their side of the arena and they all get spam floated to death. It's just dumb. Mistakes should be punished but they should be punished in such a way that they're still recoverable. Currently, RNG may dictate that they're irrecoverable.

There should be some kind of limit on the number of statues that can be down at any given time, either total or per-debuff type. If the latter, it would also help remove the situation where you drop a half dozen stam drain statues and the hurks on the other team laugh and clear them like they were never there.

6. Rage. On its own, I don't have a problem with rage - you take a risk for a bigger payout. Fine. The problem really is the way that rage interacts with statues. Specifically, once the window opens for a team to start throwing statues, rage acts as a double whammy - it lets you farm more and more statues at a crazy high pace and just flood the other side of the arena, and it lets you quickly overtake the match in points while the other team is getting molested by more statues than they could ever hope to clear unless they get unnaturally lucky with debuff distribution (or you do something stupid like throw all the statues in one spot).

This is, in my opinion, probably the worst interaction in the mode. I don't wanna say remove rage because I think it's a cool mechanic but it's just poorly thought out in combination with the mode's other mechanics. Outside of statue limits, I dunno what the fix is.

--

There's probably more stuff I forgot about but that's what stands out in my mind after playing up to ~2600. In its current state, I just can't take Onslaught seriously - though I imagine it was never meant to be taken as such in the first place.
    LillieVirideQuinque
  • YagaminYagamin
    Vindictus Rep: 3,580
    It's quite simple actually. Just adjust the rewards to be more balanced. Why should the strong people or a certain class get that much more rewards than others?
    You currently get 15-20 seals 4 rank score from losing and 30-40 seals 30 rank score from winning. x2 seals and over x6 score is far too big of a difference.

If it was 25-35 seals 25 rank score for losing, a lot of people wouldn't really care too much for the imbalance of classes.
    It'll be play for fun instead of play to waste time and rage.
    You can also at least grind your way to the seasonal rewards too.
    LillieViride
  • ikeviikevi
    Yagamin wrote: »
    If it was 25-35 seals 25 rank score for losing, a lot of people wouldn't really care too much for the imbalance of classes.
    It'll be play for fun instead of play to waste time and rage.
    You can also at least grind your way to the seasonal rewards too.

Personally I get ~20-25 for loosing and ~30 for winning. Heck I have had times where I get more for loosing than I do for winning.
  • noctrednoctred
    Vindictus Rep: 2,875
    Yagamin wrote: »
    It's quite simple actually. Just adjust the rewards to be more balanced.

This doesn't really fix anything though. It just pushes OS even further towards being brainless seal farm.

I wrote my post from the perspective of wanting a more enjoyable experience and the issues which prevent OS from providing one (some easily fixed, some more challenging). Last thing I want is people afking in my matches cuz it literally no longer matters whether they win or lose.
  • LillieVirideLillieViride
    Vindictus Rep: 1,095
    Okay so after playing this to 2.8k ranking I have to admit my tune has changed a bit on it. The more I play the more I dislike it and I'll likely stop altogether once we get other methods of obtaining steel.

No matter how many mechanics here are questionable at best, the simple fact is that teams with high stats steamroll all others regardless of how well they play, and we have limited departs on top of that, meaning we can never get to the higher ranks for emblems and seal bonuses even if we grind our asses off.

I'd imagine Onslaught will sadly be left in the dust along with all the other PvP modes soon enough, or at least come level 100.
    MochiSweet
  • MochiSweetMochiSweet
    Vindictus Rep: 3,050
    LF another method for farming wilderness seals +call