[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Worst Character for Balor?

clearcutclearcut
Vindictus Rep: 1,150
edited August 27, 2018 in General Discussion
In general, Which character do you think preforms the worst in Balor? Characters you feel die easily or do too little damage compared to the rest.

Comments

• ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    clearcut wrote: »
    In general, Which character do you think preforms the worst in Balor? Characters you feel die easily or do too little damage compared to the rest.

From what I see everyone has issues with him, but the two characters that seem to do best on him right now are Hurk and Delia. Unlike Neam, Balor seems to be one that you just need to spend some time to get all the moves down. (Neam you really just need to get the 1 hit kills down ;-) Then the issue is just what other folks do to mess you up. That said I already see plenty of folks do well for every class on him. (Though I still need work with lann ;-)
  • EnigmaTaroEnigmaTaro
    Vindictus Rep: 3,815
    Worst for survival: Classes without block or 2 second long dodge chain like battleshade Lynn are pretty bad there.

Worst team players : whichever classes that can phase through balor and make him turn 180 to get their teammates killed.

Worst contributors: heavy stander fionas who kept turtling even after ohko or when flame walls charge toward her. I do hope they can start switching to small shield to learn the proper time to block or deflect thou. She will be truck hitting after rebalance.
    Quinque
  • noctrednoctred
    Vindictus Rep: 2,875
    edited August 28, 2018
    I see Lanns, Kais, and CB Vellas timer faster (and more often) than anybody else, though it's hard to judge how experienced those players are.

I wouldn't say they die too easily - more that generally speaking, any character that's limited to a single dodge roll which displaces them a short distance, with no other reliable defense mechanism, may run into some trouble with several specific attacks unless they are playing against the edge of the arena, which is not entirely realistic in a pub unless they are the only player left alive.

"Too little damage", as far as Balor goes, is something that's relegated to players with bad gear or players with no experience (like the aforementioned heavy stander fifis who turtle far beyond what's necessary), rather than any particular character. Every character can push out damage if the player is appropriately geared, is experienced enough to survive, and is able to recognize DPS windows.
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    noctred wrote: »
    I see Lanns, Kais, and CB Vellas timer faster (and more often) than anybody else, though it's hard to judge how experienced those players are.

I wouldn't say they die too easily - more that generally speaking, any character that's limited to a single dodge roll which displaces them a short distance, with no other defense mechanism, may run into some trouble with several specific attacks unless they are playing against the edge of the arena, which is not entirely realistic in a pub unless they are the only player left alive.

Just painting an illustration to back your points +wink

As a Spear Lann, I have to agree that the mechanics of our dodge does make it fairly difficult to deal with some moves. One such move is the combo where he swings his axe side to side 4 times in succession while walking forward, does a small spinning jump slash, and slams down creating an aoe (sometimes does the aoe twice). I would always find myself able to dodge the first 4 hits, the spinning jump, and the impact of the landing, but could never dodge the aoe wave. The issue was that I would be in the recovery animation of my dodge when the aoe ring passed be causing me to eat the hit. On the surface, there's two solutions; Give my dodge a shorter recovery time or extend it's range so I could cover more ground to appropriately space myself from Balor which would in turn buy me the time needed to wait out the recovery.

This is where I will also agree that it's hard to judge due to varying levels of experience. Sure, I could accept that there's no way for me to dodge his onslaught when I was the target, but then I realized that I have Absolute Fury. There's a small window between the 4th swing and the spinning jump. It is within this window that I can do an Absolute Fury away from Balor to distance myself & since gliding fury has pretty much no recovery time now, I can immediately do a follow up dodge. This combination of Absolute Fury + Dodge spaces me away far enough to avoid the spinning jump & impact purely by being out of his range. After that, I can just leisurely wait for the aoe ring and dodge over it effortlessly.

As you can see, I may fall into the category of a character with a "not-so-great," dodge, but with a lil extra thought and effort, I was able to find a workaround. I agree that some characters have it harder than others in Balor, but with the right actions, every character has the capability to succeed. Let my above experience be an example that obstacles can be overcome no matter how hard it seems :)
  • DrusaDrusa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,100
    Karok and Lann.
  • therapistguytherapistguy
    Vindictus Rep: 850
    EnigmaTaro wrote: »
    Worst for survival: Classes without block or 2 second long dodge chain like battleshade Lynn are pretty bad there.

Worst team players : whichever classes that can phase through balor and make him turn 180 to get their teammates killed.

Worst contributors: heavy stander fionas who kept turtling even after ohko or when flame walls charge toward her. I do hope they can start switching to small shield to learn the proper time to block or deflect thou. She will be truck hitting after rebalance.

I am one of those heavy stander fionas and I have still gotten top damage 3 times now. I've even had people thanking me for carrying. I find it funny because I'm holding spacebar 75% of the raid.
  • KenshinXKenshinX
    Vindictus Rep: 1,870
    Twin Sword Vella has the hardest time in Balor.

xD
  • dazedgumballdazedgumball
    Vindictus Rep: 7,725
    edited August 28, 2018
    KenshinX wrote: »

xD

Yep. SOOO hard
    Order5JinyieDrachusGhengisJohn
  • Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900

xD

https://youtube.com/watch?v=159nJVGRexE

3:16 was particularly beautiful.
    GhengisJohn
  • MadcobraMadcobra
    Vindictus Rep: 5,230

xD

Haha that is sick xD
  • JinyieJinyie
    Vindictus Rep: 1,830
    edited August 28, 2018
    I would have to say spear lanns will have the most difficulty of all the characters in terms of survivability. Hard to tell who does the least damage right now since most party members I've been with are still learning the battle. xd feels good to be a sword vella
  • KenshinXKenshinX
    Vindictus Rep: 1,870

xD

Yep. SOOO hard

You didn't catch the sarcasm, it's retarded how easy TS Vella is in Balor
  • DrusaDrusa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,100
    Tfw NA never experienced XE fiona
  • blue_favouriteblue_favourite
    Vindictus Rep: 330
    missing video for crossgun bow pillar staff... i guess it becomes clear. From what it has whip and chainblades seems the most difficult.

• JinyieJinyie
    Whip Arisha? You mean the same character with both a dodge and a block?
  • DrachusDrachus
    Vindictus Rep: 1,880

xD

Yep. SOOO hard

This is beautiful.
  • blue_favouriteblue_favourite
    Vindictus Rep: 330
    Jinyie wrote: »
    Whip Arisha? You mean the same character with both a dodge and a block?

Look solo whip and then tell me it's easy
  • JinyieJinyie
    Actually looks just about as hard as spellsword. How often are you going to be soloing balor and do you have the stats for that? Can’t compare it to party play.
  • dazedgumballdazedgumball
    Vindictus Rep: 7,725

xD

Yep. SOOO hard

You didn't catch the sarcasm, it's retarded how easy TS Vella is in Balor

You seemed to miss my sarcasm by showing how piss easy it is on TS.
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    Vindictus Rep: 3,055
    EnigmaTaro wrote: »

Iunno, I find Blute Lynn to be absurdly easy to survive with given the ginormous generosity of Acrobats ability and her self healing. If anything I find her to be among the easier to Balor with given it's just acrobat -> hit, 75% of the time.

Then again, i'm, I'd say, at least decent at blute