[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

How can I make Vindictus run better on my PC?

LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
Vindictus Rep: 655
edited June 9, 2018 in General Discussion
I have the steam version, but it's unplayable because the framerate is god awful. It dips into the single digits constantly, stutters endlessly, and no amount of waiting or tweaking the settings has made any bit of difference whatsoever.

I'm desperate for a way to make this game playable, at least a consistent 20fps.

Radeon HD 5570 (1gb)
AMD 64 Athlon X2 (2.9ghz, dual-core)
5GB DDR3 RAM

What can I do to improve the performance of this game and it make it at least tolerable to play?

Comments

• ElyrElyr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,430
    Changing pretty much everything would be a good start. These specs are extremely low, I'm surprised you can run the game at all
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    Elyr wrote: »
    Changing pretty much everything would be a good start. These specs are extremely low, I'm surprised you can run the game at all

For a game this old, it shouldn't matter. I used to run this game on a single core Pentium 3 with even worse specs, and it performed decently, a pretty solid 30fps at medium settings.

Why does it run so badly now, and how can I make it playable on my current rig?
  • ElyrElyr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,430

Personally, I struggled to make the game run decently back when it released in EU already, with a PC with better specs than what you currently have. I honestly have no idea how you could make it run with even worse specs, but whatever.
    Ihave no extensive knowledge on the topic, but if I have to guess I'd say upgrades (even if small) to the engine, worse optimization, more content and things like this.
    Want to make it playable on your rig? Gotta change the whole thing
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    edited June 9, 2018
    Elyr wrote: »

Personally, I struggled to make the game run decently back when it released in EU already, with a PC with better specs than what you currently have. I honestly have no idea how you could make it run with even worse specs, but whatever.
    Ihave no extensive knowledge on the topic, but if I have to guess I'd say upgrades (even if small) to the engine, worse optimization, more content and things like this.
    Want to make it playable on your rig? Gotta change the whole thing

I guess I can't play then. Le sigh...
  • AbaddanAbaddan
    Vindictus Rep: 2,320
    There's somethings you can try. Have you tried running it in DirectX 8 instead of 9+. It's not going to look very amazing but it'll help with FPS. Make sure it's running on Full Screen Resolution as well. Idk what your current settings are, but a lot you won't notice much difference and others actually matter. At the heart of it tho the game is poorly optimized, but certainly are some things worth trying that have been posted in the forums already.
  • DancingStarDancingStar
    Vindictus Rep: 1,695
    edited June 9, 2018
    Your rig is more than decent to play such games don't worry. You can play any other source engine games without that kind of fps drops. The real problem is 'this' game. First of all vindictus seems to run better on INTEL CPU compared to an AMD CPU with the same stats.

Other than that, the game has been weighneted and ruined a lot by a 'very bad' developed UI (user interface) which literally eat a lot of your fps.
    (For example try to press twice the minus - button to hide the UI and you'll see a significant improvement in your fps).
    Furthermore every patch that is released is worked and optimized as a single not caring of how will perform on the whole game, and that keep ruining the game throught time and turn the game into a resource hog due to memory leaks and a lot of other issues which aren't optimized at all (included the design of the maps).

As last and worst plague ever there's blackcipher. An anticheating module that works differently from others.
    This piece of crap, other than continuosly checking what u're running on your memory and comparing it with its blacklist it keep scanning your pc for the whole time you play in search of any unathorized program. The problem is that it keep accessing the disk for the whole time u're online and even more heavily when you're the host of your party (because the host is usually the only one able to use hacks/cheats or whatever).

So while you play your pc is struggling in loading the actual elements of the game + scanning/reading/opening files in your hd making your pc stuttering and freezing as hell especially when it try to access the pagefile which is used as additive virtual ram memory but on the hd.

Most of users don't see/notice these problems because their high end rig is enough powerful to 'hide' such things, but that doesn't change the fact everybody have these issues and on a lower rig is more noticeable.
    Sometime you can find even users with an i7 with similar issues and that says a lot.

Solution?
    There're some little workrounds and tweaking to make the game run slighlty better but you won't obtain any significant result until you change your pc for a simple reason: They never cared to optimize the game, instead it became way worse within time, so no solution by their side.
  • noctrednoctred
    Vindictus Rep: 2,875
    edited June 9, 2018
    This question has been asked probably hundreds of times.

I'd recommend googling reddit threads (or searching old threads on these forums) related to Vindictus performance. Many tweaks have been suggested over the years - though whether any of them will work for you is up in the air.
  • Sir_RenderSir_Render
    Vindictus Rep: 1,720
    Don't worry i made a really good computer and i still get a ton of frame drops from time to time
  • erthoserthos
    Vindictus Rep: 740
    The answer is always "replace your CPU with a better one." That's the only thing that'll ever help with Vindictus, really.
    Either way, like the other dude said, the game will wlays have dips. My 7700k dipped down to 20fps a week or so ago in a Radiance battle.