[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

So, are giant shields considered useless now?

ViolaViola
Vindictus Rep: 200
in Fiona
I've realized that now, we can use that new butterfly combo for hammers without the the use slashing high or the iron def buff so...what's the point of using it now?

Comments

• AmenariAmenari
    Vindictus Rep: 1,230
    edited May 11, 2018
    Large Shield can block "red" unblockable attacks when perfect Heavy Stander
    See here

• LxHxLxHx
    Vindictus Rep: 710
    Amenari wrote: »
    Large Shield can block "red" unblockable attacks when perfect Heavy Stander
    See here

Uh no, you can't block "True Unblockables" he says, which are Red ones from s3. That video is also outdated information since it was pre vamp where at the time you could not perfect guard aoes from siglint and keagan.

I main Fiona and here are some rare times I would use Large Shield with Long Sword:

PVP and/or Redeemers.

Large Shield and Long Hammer I almost always use together. Reasons why:

Iron Defence grants you a minute(?) of no flinch/no knockdown with 50% reduced damage taken.

Long Hammer smash attacks generate so much SP per hit it's no problem making up for its the cost of Iron Defence

You can't use shield enhancement with Small shield and Hammer making counter attack useless ( for damage purposes).

Sometime's Slashing High and Shield Charge will be on cool down at the same time allowing you in partial sense to have
    3 "Slashing Highs" using Iron Defence for it's no knockdown.

Reasons to use Small Shield and Hammer: (Haven't done this too often so I may be missing reasons or data)

Some Bosses move around a lot making it hard for you to capitalise on tanking with Iron Defence for being too slow, meaning slow sp generation.
    Some Bosses may be too strong for you in the sense that they can easily crit you making raw tanking with Iron Defence not feasible once again.

I main sword and small shield but I like to play hammer and large shield when I get bored of that.

ZevahDavid
  • SamalenkoSamalenko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    There is no point in using large shield unless you just want to slack and hold 2 buttons and pretend you are not afk
  • LxHxLxHx
    Vindictus Rep: 710
    Shortly after the time of my last post, it's safe to say that Large Shield is indeed inferior in every way to small shield. The thing that established this fact for me is the non need for iron defence if you're going to TAB Deflect attacks for the buff which happens equal to or more than small shields counter attack. Any sort of block defeats the purpose of tanking with Iron defence. The only real functions for Large Shield now are for talent less survival in new battles that require a learning curve in which you wish to clear easily.
  • X1Guts1XX1Guts1X
    Vindictus Rep: 1,795
    Hammer + Large Shield Fiona is and always will be inferior to Longsword and Small Shield short of a massive "Fiona Revamp." They really should just tune Hammer + Large Shield into a party Raid weapon since LS+SS is already the best solo choice in the game. As it stands, Fiona's weapons give her no real diversity, just a superior and inferior choice, and that is sad +cry