[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Returning Players: Miri or Sword-Vella?

LeGiLeGi
Vindictus Rep: 300
in General Discussion
Hey,

so last week i have started playing Vindictus again after a few years of not playing. I am not a veteran player but think I am doing fine. probably around average but want to improve with time.

Now I have taken a look at the new characters and leveled Miri to 95. Stylewise I like her but some things bother me. First her dpsing seems quite easy, probably boring because its mostly RRRRRRR and maybe some more RRRR. Yes I could play it better with more parrying while having 3+ spineslash but I dont know if that would do it for me. On top of that I dont really like her defense options. Parry is great but her dodge (space) removes hydra and her backdodge (tab) costs flamebreath.. so both not really moves I want to use much.

Now I am thinking about playing Sword-Vella because I like her style and her defense options. But I dont know if she is able to keep up dps compared to others chars with average gear~

Any vet players who have experience want to give their opinion and maybe listing the pros and cons on Miri and Sword-Vella in Season 3? I havent gotten there yet with my Miri (just finished S2) but heard it should be much harder.

Thanks in advance, any feedback is really appreciated.

Comments

• SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    edited April 30, 2018
    Hello, I main Vella since her release years ago.

Most people think playing her is basically nothing but "shift + click", similar to hurk's shift+R (shift being the defensive move, not sprint). Sure it's enough to "do something", but she's actually more complex when optimising damage output (connecting crosscuts, positioning, filling gaps in-between and so on). Unfortunately, the crosscut mechanism triggers when hitbox is detected in range, which always have caused problems. Even though after recent reworks it's significantly more reliable, you can still get hit randomly even on good hosts. Her efficiency drops with party size, because - much like other counter-attack classes - more people means smaller chances for you to pull off the attack, which in case of Swords Vella is basically main source of damage. That said she's great for solo, but falls off in party due to design and technical reasons. Even putting reliability aside - there are stronger characters/classes.

Truth said, if I didn't put so much afford into the characters early in the days, I would have probably played Glaive Lynn now. She's way more complex and one of hardest characters to master. Both of these add up the fun. She doesn't have a real counter mechanism, but two types of dodge, where one of them somewhat benefits as if it was a counter. I don't know about the umbrella (Lynn's second weapon - Battleshade), but plenty people like it too, and say it's even harder.

I suggest you check out all classes of interest gameplay and decide/try out what you seem to like, because damage is/shouldn't be top reason to decide who to play. I may help with the Vella counter part with my Ein Lacher videos and more. If you decide to try her our, here are some tips.
    QuinqueLeGi
  • DrusaDrusa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,100
    edited April 30, 2018

If you don't enjoy the sight of this don't play Vella.

Simple.
    ShineBackAirDrachus
  • AeriesAeries
    Vindictus Rep: 870
    If you want to be OP without using much effort, Miri.

I'm a sword Vella main myself, she take way more effort to play than Miri to reach the same reward but she's more rewarding to play. More fun as well.
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Easy mode = Miri
    Medium to hard difficulty = Vella
    Bewbs = Miri > Vella

I think the answer is clear on that one.
  • LeGiLeGi
    Thanks SirRFI that really helped.

I am leveling Vella right now (started yesterday, beeing 84 atm) and really enjoying it. I am pretty sure that I will stay with her, because she is way more entertaining than Miri. I get better results with Miri right now, but I think that will change when I get better with Vella. I would say I have understood her basics but still got more than enough stuff to figure out with her and later with the bosses. what can i crosscut/backlash, timings etc etc.

Atm I am mostly playing solo but plan on grouping with friends/guild starting S3, so i guess i will have to see how much impact i will be having then.

What character would you guys suggest to take a look at as a new/returning player. I dont mind a challenge but I am no veteran in this game so something easy/medium difficulty that is still fun and has a decent place in a group would be great. Right now it feels like Vella can be that for me, meaning i can play her on a medium level and get better with her over time.. but as stated i lack group exp. Oh and.. i prefer playing female chars in this game for obvious reasons :>
  • hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Super easy & solo = Fiona.
  • JinyieJinyie
    Vindictus Rep: 1,830
    Only reason i play Vella is my +15 otherwise I would be Arisha main haha. I do like the option of being up close with swords and ranged with chains. Yes sword Vellas aren't the greatest for dps compared to other characters, but I wouldn't say it's hard to stay alive if that matters any. Ein lacher was easier to get through with minimum frustration, still hard though. Can't speak for Miri.
    DaitangoNecromorph
  • LeGiLeGi
    @hornywatermelon for solo vella is more than fine, as stated above i am looking for something that can solo and be good in group. maybe i stick to vella and if sword doesnt work for me in groups i try her chains there~

@Jinyie hm yeah thought about Arisha but isnt she like really annoying to level because she lacks aoe clear? atleast thats what a friend told me about her. havent played her myself. i mean as soon as she is maxed, yeah i can see her doing great. in group an solo.. maybe i should look at her too~
  • JinyieJinyie
    Vindictus Rep: 1,830
    I don't remember how leveling my Arisha was but it was just as annoying as sword Vella (done before their buffs/revamp). When Arisha first came out I thought her playstyle was stupid and didn't even bother. When you unlock all the skills and learn a little more about what she can do, she has one of the best gameplay experiences and imo is the most fun character even more so than glaive lynn. Guarantee plenty of Arishas on our server lul
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    edited May 2, 2018
    Just gonna drop this here.....
    This is what vella can do