[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Improving Vindictus's Difficulty post-RISE

vgfan100vgfan100
Vindictus Rep: 2,085
edited July 21, 2019 in Suggestions and Feedback
Improving Vindictus's Difficulty post-RISE

Since the RISE update, difficulty levels have received mixed responses, which degrade the game overall. New players love the lower difficulty for story and gear progression while veteran players hate it because the game is now "too easy," especially in Season 1 & 2 missions. Many players want to enjoy all the battles that Vindictus has to offer but not get bored because of how easy enemies get killed in one move. So how do you fix this? Well, I propose a possible solution: Difficulty Customization.

What is Difficulty Customization?

Difficulty Customization is the ability to set the battle to a difficulty on a sliding scale based on the following:
1. Party size (1-4)
2. Gear level (on a scale from 1-max level. The lowest level is set depending on what level is required to unlock that mission)
3. Actual Difficulty (on a scale of 1-10)

Instead of forcing players to play on one difficulty (i.e. Easy Mode for Season 1), every battle can be completely unique in terms of difficulty. You want Gnoll Cheiftain to be as tough as Dullahan? You could allow players to do that if this idea becomes real!

How does Difficulty Customization work?

Difficulty Customization is broken down into three multipliers: Party, Gear, and Actual Difficulty.

- When a player unlocks a Story Mission, they have the option to set the difficulty to the lowest setting to make story completion easier. For example, if a player was battling Season 1 Glas for the first time, they can set the boat to the lowest difficulty level: 1-player, Level 65 (because Season 1 Glas is unlocked at level 65), and Actual Difficulty: 0. This would be Glas's difficulty as it is right now in-game post-RISE.

- If players want a more intense battle, the host can raise the difficulty to the following example settings: 4-players, Level 100 (i.e. max level), Difficulty: 10 (the max setting). This translates to the following:

Party Size: All enemies will have 4x as much health (one for each player); this includes raid bosses!
Note: You can still solo on 4-player difficulty if you so choose.
Gear Level: The DEF of monsters will be set to a number where only the minimum level gear stat can break through. In other words, if you
choose Gear Level 95 for, say, Gnoll Assembly Area, imagine fighting 100 gnolls but each gnoll has the same DEF as enemies in Donegal
(Season 3, Ch. 2, Episode 3)!
Difficulty Multiplier: Attack Dmg/Att. Speed/Crit/Crit Dmg/ are multiplied by a factor of 10! Think of this like Season of Macha back in the old days. Now THAT is what I call a challenge!

- The host can set the battle to max difficulty or minimum difficulty by sliding the scales all the way up or all the way down for each criteria.
- The host can also set the Party Size and Gear Level difficulty to a party average (e.g. Att./Magic Att., DEF, Crit, Balance, etc.) by selecting "Party Average." The game will then average all stats and match the difficulty with the stats of the party. The host can then make the battle even more difficult with setting the Actual Difficulty level.

How do you reward players for completing battles on higher difficulties?

The current model of receiving drops is completely luck-based. You get a random drop that is, in most cases, useless, which brings frustration to players who have spent a majority of their time getting nothing out of their struggles against various foes. With that being said, playing on higher difficulties can increase more chances of getting better drops. Here is the table for how drops can be calculated:

- Party Size: The bigger the party, the more quantity of drops there will be. This encourages players to play with each other for more drops.

- Gear Levels: Specific equipment will still drop from enemies that share the same design inspiration (e.g. Dullahan armor/weapons from Dullahan). However, instead of limiting weapons and armor with stats suited to that level, every piece of armor/weapon can be customized like Season 3's crafting system. By increasing the difficulty via Gear Level difficulty, you'll increase the stats of essences you receive. For example, you can have Raider's armor that matches stats with the current level 95 gear if you play on Gear Level 95 difficulty.

- Difficulty Multiplier: The number of the multiplier corresponds with the amount of gold each player will receive. So if you play it safe on difficulty 1, you'll earn the minimum gold amount for the battle. But if you challenge yourself on difficulty 10, you'll receive 10x the amount of gold if you clear the battle!
Example: If you clear a battle that gives 300k gold on difficulty 10, you will instead receive 3M gold!

What about Royal Army Raids?

Unless anyone has a suggestion, this option would be unavailable due to the complex nature of matching players within a dedicated server.

What about Redeemer's?

Since Redeemer's is an 8-player raid and only offers one drop from clearing the battle, only Actual Difficulty will be available. Additional Boxes of Conviction will be rewarded x the Actual Difficulty level. So, if you defeat a Redeemer's battle on Actual Difficulty 2, you will receive two Boxes of Conviction instead of one. Pretty cool, wouldn't you say? Of course, you'll probably want to stick to Difficulty 1 or 2 since Redeemer's Mode is the most challenging aspect of Vindictus and can be even more insane if you allow, for example, Neimhain to attack you 2x faster and harder.

If you have any suggestions on improving this idea, please feel free to leave a comment in this thread. I would love to see this game become more fun, and I believe this idea can bring more replay-ability to this game! :)
Blackbirdx61AymonZeroheartCloakshireBigAssTTsJacksawPiracy
  1. What do you think?5 votes
    1. Love this idea!
       40% (2 votes)
    2. It's okay, but it could be better
       40% (2 votes)
    3. Not a good idea (explain why below)
       20% (1 vote)

Comments

• DexkillDexkill
    Vindictus Rep: 890
    Just simply no.
  • Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61
    Vindictus Rep: 1,355
    Sound a bit like the level scaling in GW2, which I was never fond of myself but was clearly very popular with most of the player base. I do hope the devs take you seriously; i stopped playing Tera around Lv 60 because it just wasn't all that challenging for my gunner, and I just lost interest. I am only lv 22 just now, found the first boss that could kill me regularly in the gnoll king. I Honestly wish the "trash mobs" were more dangerious. I cut my teeth as a gamer on GW1 and despite its age and limited combat system one thing it certainly has is mobs that will kill you if your careless in your build, your team build, or just in game. Oh sure after 5+ years I can dominate 95% of the content today, but thats after many, many trips to the shrine. I played gw 5 or so years because it was challenging, I lost interest in Tera in less than 6 months because it was not; easy is appealing up front but its not engaging and you do want your players engaged no?

Listen to the OP, I think hes on to something, I think this game has tons of potential, I've enjoyed every minute I've played so far, but now that I have my lovely and devestating manaedge unlocked, give me some foes worthy of that weapon. Your Thoughs BB

Hope e's alright!? You put you sword right through his 'ead!
  • Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61
    Vindictus Rep: 1,355
    Sound a bit like the level scaling in GW2, which I was never fond of myself but was clearly very popular with most of the player base. I do hope the devs take you seriously; i stopped playing Tera around Lv 60 because it just wasn't all that challenging for my gunner, and I just lost interest. I am only lv 22 just now, found the first boss that could kill me regularly in the Gnoll king. I Honestly wish the "trash mobs" were more dangerous. I cut my teeth as a gamer on GW1 and despite its age and limited combat system one thing it certainly has is mobs that will kill you if your careless in your build, your team build, or just in game. Oh sure after 5+ years I can dominate 95% of the content today, but thats after many, many trips to the shrine. I played gw 5 or so years because it was challenging, I lost interest in Tera in less than 6 months because it was not; easy is appealing up front but its not engaging and you do want your players engaged no?

Listen to the OP, I think hes on to something, Im not so sure about the Loot scaling, In my experience of course loot goes up with level, so I cant be sure if 3M in Hard mode would be outlandish or not. I think this game has tons of potential, I've enjoyed every minute I've played so far, but now that I have my lovely and devastating mana-edge unlocked, give me some foes worthy of that weapon. Your Thoughts BB

Hope e's alright!?
  • AymonAymon
    Vindictus Rep: 610
    Awesome, this would be very good, I would play again
  • ZeroheartZeroheart
    Vindictus Rep: 7,740
    Yes this would work , especially the rewards, i feel like Dulla gear is the only thing lately and we need more choices. Also instead of trash drop can we get those power essences and armor essences? I wanna max the stats on gear but find one purple and OJ is taking too long
  • vgfan100vgfan100
    Zeroheart wrote: »
    Yes this would work , especially the rewards, i feel like Dulla gear is the only thing lately and we need more choices. Also instead of trash drop can we get those power essences and armor essences? I wanna max the stats on gear but find one purple and OJ is taking too long

I agree that all armor pieces need to be worth something. Skill should = better rewards in the end, and that's what this suggestion is trying to address. The idea of dropping power essences and armor essences sounds great! An extra drop to help increase stats on gear would be great for progression. :)
  • vgfan100vgfan100
    edited April 14, 2018
    A quick change to how Redeemer Mode might work with this new difficulty design:

What about Redeemer's?

Since Redeemer's is an 8-player raid and only offers one drop from clearing the battle, only Actual Difficulty will be available.

CHANGE: Additional Boxes of Conviction will be rewarded x the Actual Difficulty level. So, if you defeat a Redeemer's battle on Actual Difficulty 2, you will receive two Boxes of Conviction instead of one. Pretty cool, wouldn't you say?

Of course, you'll probably want to stick to Difficulty 1 or 2 since Redeemer's Mode is the most challenging aspect of Vindictus and can be even more insane if you allow, for example, Neimhain to attack you 2x faster and harder.
  • vgfan100vgfan100
    Apologies for reviving an old suggestion, but I just thought of something that might make this game more replayable, and it's related to difficulty.

Remember how Season 3 introduces gear that includes skills like "Siglint Lightning" or "Cheerful Footsteps?" What if we applied using these skills with obtaining and using full sets of armor and weapons?

I'll give a few examples below:

Example 1: Titan drops Dark Crest armor and Dreamwalker weapons. Wearing both into battle will unlock a Quick Slot skill called Titan's Rage. When activated, all enemies within a certain area of each party member will have 0 crit applied to their attacks for 1 minute (same as Titan's main debuff, "Dullness"). This skill costs a full SP bar and has a cooldown timer of 20 minutes.

Example 2: Wearing full Armegeddon gear and wielding an Armageddon weapon will unlock a skill called The Flames of Anywnn. When activated, all party members will suddenly burst into flames and begin taking burn damage equal to their Power Stat every second for 1 minute. The burn damage is then converted into their Att./M. Att points, which increases by their Power Stat points every second over 30 seconds. As the flames subside, each player's Att./M. Att points will return back to their original stats every second over 30 seconds. Activating this skill costs a full SP bar and has a cooldown timer of 20 minutes.

Example 3: Wearing Astera gear and wielding an Astera weapon will unlock a skill called The Goddess's Blessing. When activated, every party member's Counterforce will increase by the geared player's CF stats divided by the number of members in the party (i.e. the Astera-geared player with a CF of 120 activates The Goddess's Blessing in a 4-player battle, causing all player's CF points to increase by 30). This skill is useful for helping players with less CF be able to deal damage to the Astera bosses. Activating this skill costs a full SP bar, has a cooldown timer of 20 minutes, and lasts only for 1 minute.

Example 4 (had to include this one): Wearing any Glas gear (Raider's or Terminus Sentinel) will grant every player a skill called Feather of the Winged Angel. Activating this skill will allow the player to fly for 1 minute. Controlling your character in the air is the same as controlling your character on the ground. You still attack using the left and right mouse buttons, and Quick Slot skills can still be activated in the air. This skill is very useful for attacking enemies that just love to hang out in the air (I'm looking at you, Elchulus). This skill costs a full SP bar to use and has a cooldown timer of 20 minutes. Keep in mind that if the effect runs out while you are still in the air, you will take fall damage if you are not near the ground. Wearing back slot wings will also have an animation associated with this skill. :)

These are just some ideas for Gear Skills. Players will want to collect every piece of gear to see what skills they can bring into battle. Plus, the combinations will make for some really exciting moments in battle (For example, Imagine coming up with a strategy for taking down Macha by using Feather of the Winged Angel and The Goddess's Blessing while she is hovering in the air, Of course, balancing these skills will be key to maintaining most of the game's combat mechanics. Fusion Runes can be used if a player wants a specific look with a specific Gear Skill. Let me know what you think of this suggestion and the original suggestion.
    Jacksaw
  • JacksawJacksaw
    Vindictus Rep: 775
    edited October 13, 2020
    Hello there!

Really an interesting thread this one: it really sounds like ESO gear system imo, in which every dungeon is scaled up to level cap, and therefore, each related drop, so every update we had to check for any changes in order to find the new "magic combination"...
    It often happened that a lost and forgotten set was actually BiS simply because of a patch release!

Anyway, I really hope that the devs will take in consideration this whole thread since it has very detailed and interesting ideas.
    Right now we have so much wasted content: leveling up feels pretty lonely and discouraging, the game seems and feels dead up until level 95 (Dullahan) while it is not!