[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Hefty fine for Nexon -Gachapon

ikeviikevi
Vindictus Rep: 3,670
edited April 10, 2018 in Off Topic Discussion
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180402000884

Do you think this will change things? (Though I think it is just the fact that they misrepresented the odds...)

Comments

• PhaliantPhaliant
    Vindictus Rep: 1,560
    That's weird since in no way they mentionned Vindictus's boxes.

So, does it not concern Vindictus? Or perhaps, does it? Who knows...
  • FurielFuriel
    Vindictus Rep: 3,330
    It does mention "virtual boxes" in general though so who knows, it might concern all of their games in which these are featured.
    fKSqCy9.png
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    edited April 10, 2018
    Now sue Ferghus for damaging/breaking private properties.
    AnthonytonyboyBownerJathy
  • ZeroheartZeroheart
    Vindictus Rep: 7,740
    only thing that i s going to change is that all new outfitter are gatchas, not just one but different gatchas types for every outfit , it will not be full outfits but pieces of it too. All just to get more $$$ and exploiting a loop holes.
  • ikeviikevi
    Zeroheart wrote: »
    only thing that i s going to change is that all new outfitter are gatchas, not just one but different gatchas types for every outfit , it will not be full outfits but pieces of it too. All just to get more $$$ and exploiting a loop holes.

Not from what I got from it.

The fine has to do with bucketing things like is done with our most recent gachapon 4% odd to get 1 of 11 items.
    http://vindictus.nexon.net/news/28789/desert-crystal

Giving the idea that they all are the same odds when they aren't is the big issue. I don't think Korea is doing anything to prevent them from using "virtual boxes" with crazy low odds, just that the odds of getting a given item has to be accurate.

• PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    It's very strange that they didn't list odds, as I thought that had become de facto practice via the agreement that all publishers in KR accepted a while back. It's law in China, but the KR publishers seemed to have accepted it. Guess it needs to be made law there as well. I did notice that they'd stopped showing rates here the way they had been for a while, but I don't buy the gatchas, so I wasn't all that worried about it.
  • VinVinVinVin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,265
    This won't change anything because they will pay the fine with the same money they scammed to their users. And if not enough, they will just fire some people to compensate the profit loss.

Fines to big corporations are a stupid idea, companies are not real beings, they don't exist. Instead, the people responsable of the company (and anyone that approved and participated in the idea) should have harsh prison sentences. That would be the only way to stop it from happening again.
  • ikeviikevi
    First off... Lol talking about Nexon = off topic now.
    VinVin wrote: »
    This won't change anything because they will pay the fine with the same money they scammed to their users. And if not enough, they will just fire some people to compensate the profit loss.

I agree that for a giant corporation this isn't an end all, but if they keep doing it the fines will just get bigger. As it stands it is a bit over 1 % of their net income. And 1 billion Won has to be enough for any corporate manage to start to notice at least.
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    5iandh wrote: »
    what is GAMBLING and why its illegal?

Gambling was never "strictly" illegal ~ consider ~ "the POWERBALL" states have some version of it, those states who allow "Power Ball" also wrote no Gambling laws ~ AKA~ no riverboat Gambling.

I think the legality of "Gambling" depends on "**** fighting" or "animal abuse" not on "buying a lotto ticket with extreme low odds.

Buying a lotto ticket has never been an invalid contract ~ everyone knows what they are buying, or actually knows what they bargan for.

If it was that simple. But it's not. Why it's illegal is that people tend to get addicted to it, and even one parent's addiction can ruin a whole family. A person with a strong addiction will spend all their leftover money on gambling. It's like a drug. I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal in some countries if it didn't cause addiction. It's all about statistics.
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    5iandh wrote: »
    you cant write a law with the intend premise of "addiction", that's a medical issue that healthy people should not have to suffer the illegality of an act for.

its the addict problem, so people who arnt addicts should not have to suffer for it. Consider alchole

I think i wasn't clear. I meant regulated not illegal. However it's illegal if you are running a gambling business and you don't have a special permit for that. Some countries require a permit and gambling businesses also must pay more tax than normal businesses.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Belgium and the Netherlands seemed to get the ball rolling, and other countries are following suit after Belgium banned loot boxes in a number of games and EA refused to comply with their regulations. Legal action was threatened and is now being pursued. It will be interesting to see what happens all over in the next year or so. Even US senators are wanting to add new regulation. With Belgium taking legal steps to requiring the removal of gambling features from games and other countries following suit new precedents are likely to be set worldwide.
  • SpoopyPieSpoopyPie
    Vindictus Rep: 600
    Reviving this thread before the year ends with my thoughts on the current situation with lootboxes.

As it stands, lootboxes are more or less the lifeblood of nearly all f2p mmos, especially of the korean variety. Should the FTC succeed in their investigations and the government does get its way, we can expect "gambling" label to be applied to any f2ps that practice the monetization through lootboxes, which also means all the related sanctions that comes with it. The f2p market will be very interesting in the next 5 years as it will now try to figure out to keep the longevity of income revenue going. Will they stop being f2ps and becomes p2p games should lootboxes be outrightly banned? Or will consumers will have to prove they're of legal gambling age to partake in regulated lootboxing? Depending on how hard the industry will be hit, Vindi may see itself castoff as Nexon gets its affairs in order to prepare for the inevitable.