[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

would you ever whale?

Comments

• ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    Wait - FAO SHUT DOWN?!

Dang, dang, dang!

I had to stop because of some....technical issues with the game that I can't quite remember, but I figured I'd wait and come back when those issues were solved...but I guess it just didn't make enough money.

And it was a great game, too!
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,545
    You don't really have to whale for the 100 coupon outfit. The boxes are here till like February, so if you just allocate a little money each month you can save up enough coupons to buy it, or just stop buying boxes should you get it.
    [Stupid wall of text]

Whatever you're trying to say, it definitely doesn't take that much writing, tl;dr it or all we'll do is meme at you.

All you really deserve anyways. :^)
    Madcobra
  • SexyWaterMelonSexyWaterMelon
    Vindictus Rep: 860
    edited January 7, 2018
    Yes I'm going moby ****
  • HeartCardHeartCard
    Vindictus Rep: 1,015
    edited January 7, 2018
    Everytime I see someone post wall-o'-text like this here I have an irresistible urge to tell them to start writing a book. The superfluity is simply appalling.
    At least I can say that I literally DID write a book and am working on a second one. Jesus christ, that wall was...
    IT JUST KEPT GOING.
    And it wasn't broken up by humor, it was repetitive, it was irrational...If you're writing something like that and it's NOT designed to entertain the few people willing to actually read it...
    It just begs too many questions.

I can't even respond to it. Nobody would want to read a legitimate well-elaborated response to that wall, because it'd be the size of the entire first page just to break it down.
    You SUCK as a gladiator, mate.
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    HeartCard wrote: »
    Everytime I see someone post wall-o'-text like this here I have an irresistible urge to tell them to start writing a book. The superfluity is simply appalling.
    At least I can say that I literally DID write a book and am working on a second one. Jesus christ, that wall was...
    IT JUST KEPT GOING.
    And it wasn't broken up by humor, it was repetitive, it was irrational...If you're writing something like that and it's NOT designed to entertain the few people willing to actually read it...

I can't even respond to it. Nobody would want to read a legitimate well-elaborated response to that wall, because it'd be the size of the entire first page just to break it down.

Not everything is entertainment, you don't have to insert jokes at every turn to be readable. I think some people found his post interesting enough to read it and like it. Just because you use bigger words and try to be funny doesn't give you the right to put others down like that. Is anybody impressed by this?
    FreakingAngelPhoebeHalliwel
  • ReziRezi
    At least I can say that I literally DID write a book and am working on a second one.

But... Did it sell?
  • MisterWhiskersMisterWhiskers
    Vindictus Rep: 2,615
    edited January 8, 2018
    Arishante wrote: »
    IT JUST KEPT GOING.

Not everything is entertainment, you don't have to insert jokes at every turn to be readable. I think some people found his post interesting enough to read it and like it. Just because you use bigger words and try to be funny doesn't give you the right to put others down like that. Is anybody impressed by this?

WEO WEO anti-fun police is here
    Prettyy
  • ArishanteArishante
    @MisterWhiskers

Some try too hard to sound smart of funny. Your reading skills are top notch otherwise. Am i getting to you? i tried to use short sentences for you.
    ReziMisterWhiskersFreakingAngelPhoebeHalliwel
  • HeartCardHeartCard
    edited January 8, 2018
    Rezi wrote: »
    But... Did it sell?
    Hundred a month from it is pretty good for a first book considering I did it without being HeartCard. Unfortunately, this also meant I couldn't promote it in any of my communities because in my clumsy process and using the advice of...People I won't take advice from ever again, the book can be used to too easily track down my IRL address.
    Upside is, next one I can just shove down everyone's throats.

Not everything is entertainment, you don't have to insert jokes at every turn to be readable.
    Then what is the point?
    Something that bloated is FAR less likely to change most people's opinion on the subject, because most people won't even read it. And those who are willing to actually read it are those more likely to see the numerous fallacies and repetition within it.
    And if it's NOT meant to sway someone to your opinion, then it should at least be entertaining for your audience.

Either it's ineffective or it's fairly pointless.

Just because you use bigger words and try to be funny doesn't give you the right to put others down like that. Is anybody impressed by this?
    What the hell. What "bigger" word did I use? I've been speaking very bluntly here.
    Hell the whole point of "bigger" words is actually "lazier terms". They're sum ups of several words at once.
    The word "bigger" as you use it is itself just a sum-up of "containing more characters than the most common words in the populace's vernacular". Ergo "comparatively greater sum".
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr

Was your book about Rick and Morty?

This is an internet forum though, writing a giant block of rant really doesn't contribute.

Also, the mark of a good writer is the ability to say more will less, if you can't break down the gist of that much writing, your point will likely get lost to anyone who bothers to read it.

Rezi
  • ReziRezi
    Hundred a month from it is pretty good for a first book considering I did it without being HeartCard. Unfortunately, this also meant I couldn't promote it in any of my communities because in my clumsy process and using the advice of...People I won't take advice from ever again, the book can be used to too easily track down my IRL address.

Hundred a month? Are you selling a digital download on some backwater fanfic site? And any author worth their salt would have gotten a real publisher, which would have resulted in the complete destruction of their anonymity, making them easily searchable. Pen names are gimmicks; you're not a superhero, you don't need a secret identity.

Let me know when you sell a real book in a real store through a real publisher.
  • HeartCardHeartCard
    edited January 8, 2018
    Bowtacojr wrote: »
    Also, the mark of a good writer is the ability to say more will less, if you can't break down the gist of that much writing, your point will likely get lost to anyone who bothers to read it.
    Tell that to Tolkien.
    And in response he'll tell you more about the land that you're talking to him on rather than what you actually said to him.

Hundred a month? Are you selling a digital download on some backwater fanfic site? And any author worth their salt would have gotten a real publisher, which would have resulted in the complete destruction of their anonymity, making them easily searchable. Pen names are gimmicks; you're not a superhero, you don't need a secret identity.

Let me know when you sell a real book in a real store through a real publisher.
    Which is cute and all...but not actually a valid argument against anything I said.
    You're basically saying that Amazon isn't a real publisher...Okay, sure. But what does it matter if they're a real publisher if the result is the same?
    And the result is that people read my book, and as a consequence I get paid for it. Because KDP can pay out not merely for sales but for page reads.
    As an extra consequence of using this "not real publisher", I also get paid out every month instead of MAYBE twice a year as a "real publisher" would have done.

The consequence of continuing with this "backwater fanfic site"(amazon) is that with the next book released I'll be able to push it FAR wider than I would be able to with a real publisher just trying to spread it amidst the town I live in. Not only creating a better fanbase for my book, but also bringing in to my OTHER projects. Like the games I'm making. Or the community I manage. And so on.
    I'm not a super hero. I'm the God Damn HeartCard.

I'll get a "real publisher" when the benefits of doing so outweigh the detriments. Which considering one of those detriments involves me being able to currently find my real address using that book BY the advice of a "real publisher" I knew, I think I'll take a pass. It's not my identity I'm exactly concerned about, since that's already everywhere online in communities I've been in along with my face. It's having a place people can show up to again like when I played maplestory.
    It ain't cool.
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    edited January 8, 2018
    Tell that to Tolkien.
    And in response he'll tell you more about the land that you're talking to him on rather than what you actually said to him.
    This is an internet forum though, writing a giant block of rant really doesn't contribute.

I don't recall Tolkien writing his books on the Vindi General Forums. :^)

• HeartCardHeartCard
    edited January 8, 2018
    I don't recall Tolkien writing his books on the Vindi General Forums. :^)
    You should actually look into the reason Tolkien wrote his Middle Earth series then. It was basically a giant shitpost to his writing community at the time.

Though I don't see why the rules for a great writer would differ from forum or otherwise. Seems like it'd be a universal thing to me.
    @MisterWhiskers

Some try too hard to sound smart of funny. Your reading skills are top notch otherwise. Am i getting to you? i tried to use short sentences for you.

I'm glad I could make you feel smart.Special kids need to be stimulated
  • ArishanteArishante
    edited January 8, 2018
    @MisterWhiskers

I'm glad I could make you feel smart.Special kids need to be stimulated

You could make my dog feel smart. Classy to use special kids as a comeback when simple statements fly over your head. So much cringe in the forum these days and I'm afraid i contributed a little to it.
    PhoebeHalliwel
  • HeartCardHeartCard
    You could make my dog feel smart. Classy to use special kids as a comeback when simple statements fly over your head. So much cringe in the forum these days and I'm afraid i contributed a little to it.
    He's...He's not exactly trying to be classy though. He's trying to be an efficient troll. Minimum effort, maximum reaction.
    He doesn't do too terrible a job at it, but he lacks the experience to avoid being too obvious.

All you can do is dismantle his arguments and move on. Or ignore him if you want.
    You can't really attack his character though, because you're attacking a mask.
    edited January 8, 2018
    He's...He's not exactly trying to be classy though. He's trying to be an efficient troll. Minimum effort, maximum reaction.
    He doesn't do too terrible a job at it, but he lacks the experience to avoid being too obvious.

All you can do is dismantle his arguments and move on. Or ignore him if you want.
    You can't really attack his character though, because you're attacking a mask.

i know right? Some people around here flip out so hard for no reason just to give themselves a chance to make a cool comment
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    edited January 8, 2018
    but he lacks the experience to avoid being too obvious.

You would know. :^)
    kids need to be stimulated

Disgusting, I bet you main Lynn, or a short lann.

but he lacks the experience to avoid being too obvious.

You would know. :^)
    kids need to be stimulated

Disgusting, I bet you main Lynn, or a short lann.

close enough

I have a max breast lvl Arisha