[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Should the Vindi wiki get two versions?

ReziRezi
Vindictus Rep: 2,585
in General Discussion
The Vindi wiki is currently outdated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It contains a lot of lost content, especially when it comes to old Stories.

Should we keep it as-is and just have a Rise version made separately?

Comments

• CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    Neat idea but instead of making another wiki, just add an archives section to the current for all the pages that are no longer relevant.
    Rezi
  • RadeRade
    Vindictus Rep: 1,020
    Wikis already have version histories built into them. You can find information provided for previous versions and on older dates by checking the history for pages and viewing an older submission.
    Rezi
  • LoLoBootyLoLoBooty
    Vindictus Rep: 5,275
    so who exactly created/maintains the vindy wiki? Why hasn't it been updated like wikipedia users can?
  • ElleaseEllease
    Vindictus Rep: 1,625
    Any user can register to update the wiki. However, many of the people researching data towards the game have stopped updating these sites after the Title Inn incident. There's very little incentive for people to go out of their way to fix the wiki when the work is so unappreciated and time-consuming.
  • ReziRezi
    Ellease wrote: »
    Title Inn incident

Can you elaborate, please? :)
  • TamagoTamago
    Vindictus Rep: 5,460
    RIP DB
    RIP Inn
    RIP wiki that was inferior to DB
    RIP armory
  • SlothPrincessSlothPrincess
    Vindictus Rep: 1,420
    Rezi wrote: »
    Title Inn incident

(This is my understanding of it)
    There was a player known as Insanitee who put a lot of work into creating and updating a title database. It had every title for every character that is/used to be available. They worked on other databases too but I don't remember what they were. Unfortunately this player was randomly permabanned from the game and so removed their work from the internet.
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    There's very little incentive for people to go out of their way to fix the wiki when the work is so unappreciated and time-consuming.
    This ↑

The wiki is/was outdated/lacked data for years by now. It does not matter if You either decide to archive all old information due to Rise update or do something else to them, because there are no people to work on. Personally I prefer to post things on forum - You can see who and when posted/edited it, and with proper keywords and enough views, these should be top results in search engines.
  • ReziRezi
    edited August 25, 2017
    SirRFI wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to post things on forum - You can see who and when posted/edited it, and with proper keywords and enough views, these should be top results in search engines.

But the forum got wiped. It used to be filled with helpful content, then they wiped it. The forums now are skeletons compared to the mammoth of a forum we had right after OBT.

There was a player known as Insanitee who put a lot of work into creating and updating a title database. It had every title for every character that is/used to be available. They worked on other databases too but I don't remember what they were. Unfortunately this player was randomly permabanned from the game and so removed their work from the internet.

I just looked it up. They were Sanitee, a years-long veteran of the game that did tons of videos and other things to involve the community and fan-advertise the game. The anti-hack auto-detected a third party program and perma-banned them. Sanitee said they weren't using a third party program in the game, which is likely the case, but customer support has continuously refused to unban them for over half a year despite them having a previously clean record.

Sanitee did take the database down, but they've recently put it back up - it's just that other people are contributing now.

On that end, it's likely they're still banned because customer support literally can't unban them. I've been a mod before (with another company), and it's generally against the rules to give exceptions when it comes to auto-bans, for 2 reasons: 1) Auto-bans often don't send logs back, so there's no way to actually check and see if there's an error. 2) Granting an exception would mean declaring that the anti-hack is faulty without hard data, which would create problems between the anti-hack developers and the company.

On the other hand, Korean anti-hacks are well known to detect random programs as third-party programs they won't allow, and they often detect these inside the computer itself, regardless of whether or not said programs are running. There are also rare situations where they detect things that simply aren't there, but recently updated anti-hack programs are careful not to do this.

The main question to Sanitee would be: Did they download or install ANYTHING after the last time they could get in the game without the ban? Because I know that even programs that re-skin task manager to work better have been detected and people got banned for it with anti-hack programs.

Sanitee could still be unbanned, but it would likely require some kind of executive decision (that is, higher-up approval), and I doubt Nexon would go through the hassle of doing that.
  • BownerBowner
    Vindictus Rep: 1,775
    Title Inn incident

(This is my understanding of it)

yeah, he got caught cheating and threw a hissy fit
  • ReziRezi
    edited August 25, 2017
    Bowner wrote: »
    yeah, he got caught cheating and threw a hissy fit

The only way to get CAUGHT cheating is to actually be doing it in-game. They were banned due to third party detection, NOT actual in-game actions. So no, they didn't get "caught" doing anything.

I suggest you read my above post. There's no proof that they cheated, nor is their proof that they didn't. Anti-hack programs are fickle and can be wrong 9/10 times when it comes to third party detection, depending on the anti-hack. That's why MMO companies are supposed to replace their anti-hacks every now and then; I only think Nexon's done it for their FPS games, not Vindi.

At the same time, customer service couldn't do anything even if they wanted to without higher approval. Which is hard to get.

That said, it may be possible for them to get the ban changed from perma to six months. Since the incident happened over six months ago, that would restore their account but not take the incident off of their record. The best way for them to do this is figure out if there was a program they installed prior to the ban which may have been misread as a cheat program by the anti-hack; in that case, lenience could be given. I'm not sure if Nexon would do that, but I know other MMO companies have.
  • SirRFISirRFI
    SirRFI wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to post things on forum - You can see who and when posted/edited it, and with proper keywords and enough views, these should be top results in search engines.
    But the forum got wiped. It used to be filled with helpful content, then they wiped it. The forums now are skeletons compared to the mammoth of a forum we had right after OBT.
    Not THE forum, but old NA forums. I can't tell what was there since I never used them being EU player, but likely most of the content would be outdated now. I don't know why they didn't keep archived/closed version like EU forums, but there was a decent time frame to move (as in copy-paste) threads before NA forum removal. I always keep valuable threads contents locally for few reasons, including such one.
  • ReziRezi
    I though EU just got merged into NA, and the wipe was to give EU players a chance at names.

You're saying that EU and NA both were destroyed and replaced by Global?
  • SirRFISirRFI
    I though EU just got merged into NA, and the wipe was to give EU players a chance at names.

You're saying that EU and NA both were destroyed and replaced by Global?
    I don't know what happened to NA forums exactly, but I think they were deleted. EU forums are still there, but can't post etc, so they are basically archived.

Keep in mind this happened to all games as part of merging both companies and using different forum engine. Either way it's not like they wanted to specifically wipe Vindi forum content, so this is not a reason to not post in there.