[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Is there any reason to buy Merc pots after RISE?

DaPlayaDaPlaya
Vindictus Rep: 885
edited June 20, 2017 in General Discussion
I was just watching the live stream and they showed the changes to pots. Basically, regular HP pots have their animation delay removed. The instant heal effect on Merc Pots is the big selling point for merc pots now, but after the RISE update, it's only advantage would be no cooldown and healing a bit more than regular pots. Given that regular pots already have a low cooldown and are spammable, I just don't see many people ever buying merc pots again. I don't know, but it looks like they shot themselves in the foot with this change.

I'm also guessing a huge drop in deaths after this update goes live.

Comments

• FlufffyParrotFlufffyParrot
    Vindictus Rep: 1,055
    people buy merc pots?
    DownIoadShizukaaOrder57thRonin
  • Yuria100Yuria100
    Vindictus Rep: 2,480
    edited June 20, 2017
    Merc pot don't have CD, Reg potion does. Merc pot superior version.

^Me not reading post before hand >:)
  • DaPlayaDaPlaya
    people buy merc pots?

Good point, lol. But they have it in the shop for so long, so I figured some would.

First they gave out hundreds if not thousands during the recent fishing event and now this update. So I'm not sure what they're thinking.

• ReasonablyBoredReasonablyBored
    Vindictus Rep: 1,075
    edited June 20, 2017
    The hp pot animation seemed so out of place, didn't match with the pacing of the raid( People who've played a kai and a lann know what I'm talking about) . They've given away so many goddess grace and merc pots in events already, probably didn't sell much
  • DaPlayaDaPlaya
    edited June 20, 2017
    Yuria100 wrote: »
    Merc pot don't have CD, Reg potion does. Merc pot superior version.

Yeah I mentioned the cooldown thing already in my original post. But the regular hp pots have low cooldown already. The big bonus has always been the zero animation delay aspect.

• AequipondiumAequipondium
    Vindictus Rep: 1,965
    You've clearly never tried binding merc pots to space bar while playing spear Lann or chain Vella.
  • DaPlayaDaPlaya
    edited June 20, 2017
    You've clearly never tried binding merc pots to space bar while playing spear Lann or chain Vella.

You're right, I've never played either of those classes. But if you mean holding down a key bind to merc pots for continuous healing, then this could be done by any class. But you have to be another level of bad to have to resort to this. I think spamming regular instant hp pots even with a cooldown is already overkill.
    7thRonin
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    Vindictus Rep: 655
    edited June 20, 2017
    To me, the big selling point to Merc pots was you could bring a LOT of them into a mission. Back when Merc pots were a new thing, the potion limit for Regulars and Fines was 16 of each, whereas you could bring up to 400 Merc pots and never have to worry about running out.

The new potion system with no animation and a short cooldown is actually a good thing in and of itself, but the fact that you can still bring 400 of any potion trivializes it to the point where you can just chug your way through any mission without consequence.

The fix? Keep Merc pots with their limit of 400 and reduce the number of Regular/Fine/Superior pots you can carry into a mission (preferably the old limit of 16, possibly even less). Then you'd have to actually think about when to use them and make the most of them, because you just might run out in a lengthy sandbag. People would learn to appreciate Healing Corona and Regeneration too.
    DaPlayaSlothPrincessRizzle
  • DaPlayaDaPlaya
    edited June 20, 2017
    The new potion system with no animation and a short cooldown is actually a good thing in and of itself, but the fact that you can still bring 400 of any potion trivializes it to the point where you can just chug your way through any mission without consequence..

The fix? Keep Merc pots with their limit of 400 and reduce the number of Regular/Fine/Superior pots you can carry into a mission (preferably the old limit of 16, possibly even less). Then you'd have to actually think about when to use them and make the most of them, because you just might run out in a lengthy sandbag.

I agree with your fix.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Don't the regular pots have a debuff that slows you, or is that only in Redeemers raids?
  • RizzleRizzle
    Vindictus Rep: 1,860
    edited June 21, 2017

The new potion system with no animation and a short cooldown is actually a good thing in and of itself, but the fact that you can still bring 400 of any potion trivializes it to the point where you can just chug your way through any mission without consequence.

Liked your reference - Lanns and Kais: who's down for some merc pot keg stands? WOOOOOOT!!

• NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    Perhaps if a no animation 3/s cooldown potion isn't enough of a crutch for you, merc pots got yo' back.