[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Stick to Vindictus NA, or go to Vindictus Korea?

LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
Vindictus Rep: 655
in General Discussion
I'm having the same problem that everyone has been complaining about ever since the Ein Loch update, that being horrible unjustifiable stuttering and bad frame rates even when I tweak my settings. I've HEARD that the Korean version of Vindictus, which I guess is called Mabinogi Heroes, is MUCH better optimized and doesn't suffer from the same performance issues as the NA version.

Is this true? And if it is, is it worth migrating over to that game instead?

Comments

• misakamisakamisakamisaka
    Vindictus Rep: 1,685
    It's probably a bit better in korea's version of vindi howeverrrrr you're going to need a kssn and if you're in NA right now the ping is going to be a bit high.
  • IridologistIridologist
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    Going off Misa's reply, the only hard part would be getting the KSSN and if you have that then go ahead and switch. When I played a game that had a KR server, people switched once they knew they could play there and buy a KSSN to play the game.
  • Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900
    Perhaps. If you can wait a month or so, then the "RISE" "FALL" update might improve upon these issues...or make them worse. Only time will reveal.
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    Well, I don't know if it's relevant, but I play on the Steam version of the game. Would I see any improvements in performance if I switched to the standalone client?
  • misakamisakamisakamisaka
    Vindictus Rep: 1,685
    Well, I don't know if it's relevant, but I play on the Steam version of the game. Would I see any improvements in performance if I switched to the standalone client?

From my experience, both are the same in terms for performance.
  • TariroTariro
    Vindictus Rep: 1,945
    If you're stuttering on a boat, it could be because of the host and not the game itself. As for the fps, I found changing the resolution gives way more fps than changing settings for some reason.
  • KaiTheArcherKaiTheArcher
    Vindictus Rep: 735
    edited June 8, 2017
    to correct some mis-information in here I'll summarize the information I know:

1. To activate a nexon KR account (creating one is free, you just need an email address), you need a functional Korean mobile number.

2. To login into the website/game, you need a Korean IP.

3. In asia servers, there are captcha mechanic in place to combat bots. In KR server in particular, you need to be able to type hangul (korean writing), to successfully pass the security check. Failing the check, your account will be blocked and you will need the mobile number registered with the account (see step 1) to unblock.

4. While being blocked, you can still play the game to a certain degree but you account will be locked from majority of the game contents (npc shops, market place, using an item, etc) - think of it like our 10 mins lockout for changing IP address in NA version, but permanent (until unlocked).

5. Performance of the game has been reportedly improved since the 'RISE' updates hit KR server, but there is speculation that there are certain mechanics that was added to the NA version (even before RISE) - making it inherently 'laggier' (having more micro stutterings) than KR server. In short, there may be some improvement in term of performance, but most of them coming from the RISE update rather than being KR server.

6. This game is p2p based, meaning any potential performance you might gain from switching server may get offset by the latency that inherently comes from playing over longer distance from the main playerbase of the game (assuming you're trying to play KR version from NA/global regions). While latency and stuttering/fps problems are not exactly the same, you will need to consider whether improvements in one will offset the disadvantages that the other will bring.
  • DancingStarDancingStar
    Vindictus Rep: 1,695
    edited June 8, 2017
    I'm having the same problem that everyone has been complaining about ever since the Ein Loch update, that being horrible unjustifiable stuttering and bad frame rates even when I tweak my settings. I've HEARD that the Korean version of Vindictus, which I guess is called Mabinogi Heroes, is MUCH better optimized and doesn't suffer from the same performance issues as the NA version.

Is this true? And if it is, is it worth migrating over to that game instead?

(Sharing my experience)

- The UI lag/frame drops exist since ever but with the old chat window/quickslot was still 'playable'.

- It became MUCH worse after the laki royal raid update (I guess is the update right before ein lacher or the same) enough to make
    impossible to play the game with the UI on. Till today there're several ppl who need to switch off the ui in order to be able to play.

- Who says is not affected by that, are just ppl who have a NASA pc (which is ridiculous for a game like this) and aren't able to see significant changements, even if they are affected by that.

- The frame drop appear and stay forever (until next restart) after u do the first battle, or you go in video option (even not changing anything), or go to depot and back to game.
    If u just run the game and stay in town without doing any of the points above the game stay smooth even with UI on..

- This issue has been already reported from NA and from KR (they have the same problem).

- A GM here on NA forum said only that they forwarded the issue and to wait for a feedback from devs..
    (which we never received. They can't actually resolve it or they just don't care about it).

- Reading around about RISE update they said they improved the game client, but there're no detailed informations about WHAT exactly they really did.. In short they 'might' have resolved NOTHING about it.. but we'll see..

- Another issue which nobody seems to report is the particles and lights effects(sparkles) which slow down tremendously the game when they appear.
    (try zooming into the sparkles the succubus pet does when she move, or when u're close to Neamhain and she emit all those lights,sparkles at once while performing a move, u'll see a huge frame drop even on decent pc)

If u wanna switch to KR just to avoid that issue, u should know they have the same problem, and it's all related to the UI (slotbars, chat etc). Whenever u turn it off pressing twice '-' the minus key the game literally jump to its maximum FPS...
  • SlothPrincessSlothPrincess
    Vindictus Rep: 1,420
    edited June 8, 2017
    I used to to play through steam as well about a year or two ago. One day I logged in and the game was terribly laggy even in town despite my settings not being changed. I have no idea what was wrong but I switched to the nexon launcher and the game has run fine for the most part ever since. Trying out the launcher might be worth a try before starting over on KR server
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    Tariro wrote: »
    If you're stuttering on a boat, it could be because of the host and not the game itself. As for the fps, I found changing the resolution gives way more fps than changing settings for some reason.

I'm always the host though. I always run solo (cause I'm only Level 6 at the moment, hving started over from a 62 Fiona that was three or four years old).

The stuttering starts as soon as the camera zooms in on my character after launching, where it shows the name and a random gesture, etc. The audio bugloops for a few seconds, then all of a sudden I'm on the loading screen waiting for the mission to boot up, and my frame rate is ass at that point.

Why is the UI like this? Why is it such a CPU glutton? Why hasn't a new one been made to replace it, one that isn't such a memory hog?
  • DancingStarDancingStar
    Vindictus Rep: 1,695
    Tariro wrote: »

I'm always the host though. I always run solo (cause I'm only Level 6 at the moment, hving started over from a 62 Fiona that was three or four years old).

The stuttering starts as soon as the camera zooms in on my character after launching, where it shows the name and a random gesture, etc. The audio bugloops for a few seconds, then all of a sudden I'm on the loading screen waiting for the mission to boot up, and my frame rate is ass at that point.

Why is the UI like this? Why is it such a CPU glutton? Why hasn't a new one been made to replace it, one that isn't such a memory hog?

Good question.
    Probably because they can't or they don't care so much to fix it, and that's also one of the reasons why this game doesn't have all the attention it deserve..
    Let's hope RISE update will solve 'at least' this.
  • SekaiizSekaiiz
    Vindictus Rep: 2,290
    edited June 8, 2017
    You'd be going from a small sinking ship to a bigger sinking ship.
  • LoadsamoneyLoadsamoney
    Well, it looks like I'm done. The standalone client doesn't perform any better. Ridiculous stuttering, frame drops and if turning off the UI is the only fix, then I'd rather not play.

I can't believe the game is optimized this bad. It wasn't back when Laghodessa and Lv44 was the end game. What the hell happened?
    GhengisJohn
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    edited June 8, 2017
    Well, it looks like I'm done. The standalone client doesn't perform any better. Ridiculous stuttering, frame drops and if turning off the UI is the only fix, then I'd rather not play.

I can't believe the game is optimized this bad. It wasn't back when Laghodessa and Lv44 was the end game. What the hell happened?

I am in the exact same boat as you. THE EXACT SAME. I love this game, I wanna play it. I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and I'm in deep/ attached to my character, the plot line etc, but this performance is ridiculous. Stuttering, frame drops etc. And every update it's been getting worse. I built a new comp about a year and a half ago because my old video card that wasn't even booting up modern games had died. And for a while there I could host and run everything at 60 fps in a full party. I was soooo happy with my upgrade then. Now I'm seeing 17 fps in Juggernaut and I feel actual disgust.