[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Vindictus Storyline?

DephiyDephiy
Vindictus Rep: 200
edited May 14, 2017 in General Discussion
Hey everyone, I was wondering if the storyline in this game is any good? I've mostly played this game by power leveling and skipping the dialogue and I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to understand what is going on. (I actually enjoyed the first season with Tieve and everyone, since it connected to Mabinogi, which I play...). For those who've actually paid attention, is the story something I should be following? Do the following seasons connect to the first in any way? (characters, plot, etc)
  1. Is the storyline worth paying attention to?28 votes
    1. Yes
       96% (27 votes)
    2. No
       4% (1 vote)

Comments

• ArixArix
    Vindictus Rep: 1,880
    It starts off slow but things start getting good once your hero is in rocheste, Season 2 is a filler until the last episodes regarding Cromm, and Season 3 story is worth following, my favorite season so far.
    Dephiy
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    Nothing particularly interesting happens until S1EP5, and it gets nice past S1EP6. S3 story is continuation of S1, and S2 is alternate timeline, which has presence in S3. Early S1 contains few important facts thought.
    Dephiy
  • DownIoadDownIoad
    Vindictus Rep: 2,185
    There is a summary of the storyline here if you are interested. http://forums.vindictus.nexon.net/discussion/1904/vindictus-main-story-summary/p1
    Dephiy
  • BloodAngelBloodAngel
    Vindictus Rep: 1,875
    Honestly I love the vindictus story. I love to read people's interpretations and what they think s2 really is and stuff like that. After you catch up I highly suggest you do that too if you like story driven games.
    Dephiy
  • MatanzaeMatanzae
    Vindictus Rep: 510
    @SirRFI: I strongly disagree. While there was some pointless filler at times, the story for most of season 1 was great as it pretty much reveals that everything was your fault, and you caused all of the problems. (e.g., you cause them to join the war, your ignoring orders gets your friend killed, etc...)
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    Matanzae wrote: »
    @SirRFI: I strongly disagree. While there was some pointless filler at times, the story for most of season 1 was great as it pretty much reveals that everything was your fault, and you caused all of the problems. (e.g., you cause them to join the war, your ignoring orders gets your friend killed, etc...)
    Who is "them" precisely? The Crimson Blades? The war between humans and fomors exists way longer, as stated by few facts and Aodhan's memory of the past. Fighting against the friendly gnolls of Perilous Ruins is caused by the fomorian emblem in prologue, and we are ordered to take care of them by the Royal Army. Ellis would have died in Ainle anyway, as seen from S2 perspective. In Hoarfrost Hollow and the Ruins of Sanctity episodes we are actually preventing fomors from attacking humans, as they are preparing their forces and received orders. I don't know if receiving the holy artifact in S1EP5 makes any difference, as we haven't seen it ever since. Most of our actions did not matter until the Sewers episode, when we are truly stopping to listen to orders and enter the path that leads to the end of season.

Facts aside, personally I find the story more interesting since S1EP5 or 6 and onwards. Before it it feels generic, excluding few events.
  • MatanzaeMatanzae
    Vindictus Rep: 510
    'Them' is the gnolls. You are the one who recovers the emblem, and you accept the orders without caring about the consequences - something you constantly do throughout almost the entire game. (And you receive several warning signs.) The Royal Army then fails to oppose the Gnolls, and you take out the Chieftain yourself leading to the chieftain not being able to oppose Blackscar. It was your accomplishments that cause the problems in the future.

Just because he would have died another way didn't mean you were the cause of his death in season 1.

Hoarfrost hollow is indeed your one good deed. Ruins of sanctity, on the other hand, is you dealing with a mess you caused.

And the later chapters have you continue this cycle, only things become more obvious rather than something you see in hindsight.
  • DephiyDephiy
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    edited May 21, 2017
    Whoa, there was a bigger response than I thought, thanks for the replies everyone!
  • Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900
    I'm sure for most people the main story kills itself after Season 1, but the characters are still very endearing and worth learning about. Sub-stories provide extra insight into characters and are also very comical.