[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Fionas Guard unresponsive after getting hit

LadyFayeLadyFaye
Vindictus Rep: 1,200
edited March 15, 2017 in Bug Reporting
Hello,

on rare ocassions (usually after blocking a Multi-hit) the game fails to respond to the keypress for Fionas Guard.
This happens a lot when you released it after a guarded attack and press it again in order to refresh perfect guards timeframe.

Here is a Video of the bug happening (at 17th Second)
I recorded it with an onscreen displayed keyboard showing my keypresses in realtime to exclude keyboard ghosting.

Chaser Keser is a Boss where it happened to me a lot after blocking 2 shots of his 3 shots jump combo.
This bug has only happened to me since the game is running on Premiere version, but never on XE version.

Comments

• LadyFayeLadyFaye
    UP since this bug just happened today again
  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    This happens at Muir too at his last arm swing after he rages through the whole map. I resigned myself to it being just a Premiere feature.

Sometimes PG doesn't work at all (no blue sparks) when it clearly should work because if i'm right it would push you back with small shield if it didn't. The same happens to multi-hit parrying sometimes. I don't know if it's lag or bug, it's difficult to decide in this game, but it was one of the reasons i switched to small shield.

I know for sure that Premiere has some different guarding mechanics but it would be useful to know what they are exactly.
  • Controller001Controller001
    Vindictus Rep: 1,920
    Hah... Fiona - character that breaks the most.
    We had like 4 or 5 MAJOR gameplay/ability bugs/breaks already this year for fiona.
    Just how Devcat can continue to break this character over and over again...
  • SeigakuSeigaku
    Vindictus Rep: 1,045
    edited April 8, 2017
    am not sure if this is considered a bug though I do experience this occassionally.

much less happened with higher atk speed though ( this happened a lot back when I had like 17 speed)

my take is that, when we press the key on keyboard, the distance between click and release has a bit of delay.

so, when we click > hold > distance between click towards release (your character still holding guard animation) > release (your character releases guard and ready to do next guard)

as fiona was still holding guard animation > then we release and click again for next guard, the second was not registered since the first guard animation was not finished.

my guess that is.
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    edited April 8, 2017
    The problem described by me is that guard doesnt respond to the keypress (aka fiona standing there not even going into animation) it was not about perfect guard timing or animaion lag, since there was no response AT ALL

in premiere you dont get pushed back in normal guard, only in heavy stander
    LadyFaye wrote: »
    The problem described by me is that guard doesnt respond to the keypress (aka fiona standing there not even going into animation) it was not about perfect guard timing or animaion lag, since there was no response AT ALL

I tested it on Muir's raging attack and i come to this conclusion:

- Guard doesn't protect you from his last arm swing (even if you guard only his last 2 hits) and it needs more precise timing for PG (the same could happen at Keser's last kick)
    - When there is a short time between key release and press, it doesn't go into guard
    - It's sometimes unresponsive even when i press the last guard with the same delay as the previous ones (that happened to me only twice of the at least 15 attempts)
    - There is a bug sometimes when the animation won't start but i actually guarded that attack
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    edited April 10, 2017

- Guard doesn't protect you from his last arm swing (even if you guard only his last 2 hits) and it needs more precise timing for PG (the same could happen at Keser's last kick)
    - When there is a short time between key release and press, it doesn't go into guard
    - It's sometimes unresponsive even when i press the last guard with the same delay as the previous ones (that happened to me only twice of the at least 15 attempts)
    - There is a bug sometimes when the animation won't start but i actually guarded that attack

Could you make a Video of it? I just did Muir and I didnt have any issues.

edited April 13, 2017

Could you make a Video of it? I just did Muir and I didnt have any issues.

The first element isn't a bug, it's just how it works. I did two tests one with guarding 3 hits and staying in guard for the last hit, and another when i stayed in guard for the whole time. And trans is irrelevant, it happens without it too.

And my bad because i've put one bug into two sentences at the second and the third list element.

You can reproduce it if you press guard at the moment the animation is about to reset and then it resets immediately. It doesn't stay or goes into guard again. You can see it at 0:23, 0:28 and at 1:13. I just pressed space randomly to fully test this. Maybe this happened to you too?

Here it is:

And i didn't manage to reproduce the last one but it surely happens sometimes.

But what's annoying in combat is the bug in the second video because that can happen more often especially when the input is delayed because of lag.
  • SeigakuSeigaku

My point exactly. The NO RESPONSE came from the fact that we do keypress the next guard without allowing the first guard animation to finish, so it did not get registered accordingly.

Though, somehow I partially blame the condition of keyboard to sustain keypress longer than it should, making the animation somewhat longer than we wanted it to be for the next guard. And other factors that may have come into play like lag, etc. I never played with a mechanical keyboard so I don't know if using that can solve this issue.

edited April 13, 2017
    Seigaku wrote: »

My point exactly. The NO RESPONSE came from the fact that we do keypress the next guard without allowing the first guard animation to finish, so it did not get registered accordingly.

Though, somehow I partially blame the condition of keyboard to sustain keypress longer than it should, making the animation somewhat longer than we wanted it to be for the next guard. And other factors that may have come into play like lag, etc. I never played with a mechanical keyboard so I don't know if using that can solve this issue.

Guard's animation fade-out can be interrupted hence the quick response when you spam it. But it seems it's not interrupted completely and it doesn't even stay in guard, so there must be a timeframe in which it resets the animation itself for the next guard but it doesn't queue up the keypress. Probably this timeframe is when it switches a separate state (not the animation) from guard to idle and you press the key again but since it's not in guard and not in idle, it's somewhere between (maybe a third state that would make no sense), it won't register the key.

I don't have mechanical keyboard but i'm sure it's a programmatic error of the game, not our keyboard's. Considering how other bugs work, for example when it lags on the boat and characters' faces are swapped, the game's programming must be very neglectful. It has huge flaws especially in synchronizations.
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    edited April 14, 2017
    Ok so the bug you can see in my initial Post is the same that Rhapsody just described, BUT for guarded multi hits the frames for getting out of guard are delayed when getting hit by them, which leads to the unresponsiveness. Thanks everyone for investigating!

And @RhapsodyOfFire your first video is indeed a feature called strong attacks. The last attack of muirs rage is a strong attack that needs perfect guard or heavy stander.
  • SeigakuSeigaku
    edited April 14, 2017
    [/quote]

Guard's animation fade-out can be interrupted hence the quick response when you spam it. But it seems it's not interrupted completely and it doesn't even stay in guard, so there must be a timeframe in which it resets the animation itself for the next guard but it doesn't queue up the keypress. Probably this timeframe is when it switches a separate state (not the animation) from guard to idle and you press the key again but since it's not in guard and not in idle, it's somewhere between (maybe a third state that would make no sense), it won't register the key.

I don't have mechanical keyboard but i'm sure it's a programmatic error of the game, not our keyboard's. Considering how other bugs work, for example when it lags on the boat and characters' faces are swapped, the game's programming must be very neglectful. It has huge flaws especially in synchronizations.[/quote]
    Ok so the bug you can see in my initial Post is the same that Rhapsody just described, BUT for guarded multi hits the frames for getting out of guard are delayed when getting hit by them, which leads to the unresponsiveness. Thanks everyone for investigating!

And @RhapsodyOfFire your first video is indeed a feature called strong attacks. The last attack of muirs rage is a strong attack that needs perfect guard or heavy stander.

Highlighted keypoints just in case nexon/devcat actually bothered to fix this issue.
  • MalieMalie
    Vindictus Rep: 910
    This is kinda why I stopped doing einlacher runs, I cleaned my keyboard, checked my connection, turned the graphics all the down to early ps2 era, and there's still a delay with multi-hits.

Honestly thought it was just bad timing after all that, glad to know I'm not goin crazy.
  • LadyFayeLadyFaye
    edited April 15, 2017
    While it is frustrating in Ein Lacher (vey frustrating in a handful of bosses) it doesnt mean you cant do it. I just finished my last Gold Medal with struggles like those https://youtu.be/fdldKHJupKw?t=414
    While shooting this video there was a guard bug that you got randomly hit while in guard and you got no reward when you speared glas (spear glas einlacher still not fixed).

Lugh was by far hardest for me personally, took me about 10 hours to complete (hard tilt and some bugs too) https://youtu.be/QavL7hObSpo?t=297
    Also there are spear Lanns yes, SPEAR lanns trying to get Golden God in Ein Lacher so my deepest respect for that!

Also lets end the discussion here please as there is nothing left to say regarding the initial post.