[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Crossgun Kai Guide

ScarrletttScarrlettt
Vindictus Rep: 2,300
edited October 26, 2016 in Kai
A few people asked me to move my guide from the old forums so I decided to remake it and place it here. Feel free to use it or change it up, but I personally I feel this is the most optimal rotation you can possibly get.

DPS Flow Chart during Enhance Bolt: Hunting party, build 180 sp, enhance bolt, double hollow, perforate, double hollow, six shooter, double hollow, perforate, double hollow, six shooter, etc. until enhance bolt is off cooldown. Sometimes if your speed is really high, you may end up in a scenario where all of your skills are on CD. In that case, pewpewpew away.

DPS Flow Chart when Enhance Bolt is off CD: You should have alot of sp left over from hunting party and enhanced perforate + cat statue. Bolt Storm and Nuke accordingly, trying to get headshots as much as possible with bolt storm. Six shooter is a viable move still even without enhance bolt and perforate if you land mostly headshots. You should bolt storm before nuking since it builds you more sp back but that depends on the boss (ie. Succubus Queen, Iset, Lugh, etc.). Try to leave yourself at least 250 sp so when you enhance bolt you waste no time and can go into that flowchart listed above immediately. Greater cat statue syncs very nicely with hunting party. These should ALWAYS be used in conjunction.

Side Note:
1. In certain scenarios, sometimes you will find yourself in a situation where the boss is down and you are still in enhance bolt. If you can manage to get the majority of your shots headshots, then I would definitely go with using bolt storm even though it doesnt receive any buffs from enhance bolt. Bolt storm is actually his most damaging move if 80-100% of the hits are headshots. Even if none are headshot it still does tremendous damage.
2. ALWAYS USE HUNTING PARTY. I can't stress that enough. Many many many kais fail to do this and its frustrating since with just two kais you can keep hunting party up 100% of the time. Hunting party actually boosts kai's own damage considerably since he has much better sp management.
3. Speed is important on Gun Kai. Aim for 40-50 to be comfortable. Higher is better as you build more sp with faster bolt shooting, but the benefits diminish the higher you go since kai is ultimately restricted by cooldowns on his active skills. Still, at high speeds he feels very fluid and dynamic.

Awakenings:
Damage: Hollow Shot, Spin Smash and Six Shooter. Damage can be put on Perforate if your speed is very high, which means your SP gain is higher from faster left click shooting. 55+ should be when you can debate whether to use Damage or SP.
SP reduction: Hunting Party and Bolt Storm. SP reduction can be put on Perforate if your speed is mediocre or slow. I would say under 40 you should definitely go SP reduction.
Cooldown reduction: Enhance Bolt and Massive Impact. Enhance bolt is an absolute must.

The inclusion of enhance bolt and reworkin of his active skills has made kai more complex and deeper mechanic-wise. He has much more things to keep track of and alot of options to choose from. He isnt hard to do damage with or to survive (buff to dodge was op), but playing him at a higher level has become harder and increased the gap between a bad kai, a good kai and an amazing kai. There are tons of people who dismiss kai has a baby mode and easy character and thus feel he is one dimensional and takes very little effort. Therefore they do not try and they don't explore his rather interesting and powerful kit.

Demonstration of Optimal Rotation For Kai: Zecallion Solo
Sorry for the low quality, I have since then figured how to record in higher quality.

VeneratorDelterosHonokaRolandJolt1030SplinkBlawrghArrow95KING3RToriverde
  1. Did you find this guide helpful28 votes
    1. Yes
       89% (25 votes)
    2. Hell No! You suck
       11% (3 votes)

Comments

• EfixEfix
    Vindictus Rep: 525
    Does attack speed matter with crossgun kai?
  • ScarrletttScarrlettt
    Yes it does. Get at least 40-50 speed and you should be good. If you go higher. than that means faster sp gain which means more skill spamming and more damage.
  • ApophisApophis
    Vindictus Rep: 1,000
    Also who wanna spend 2 seconds hollowing when u can pop 40k dmg in a second +best
  • TheEvilEndermanTheEvilEnderman
    Vindictus Rep: 1,095
    You probably should include the fact that this dps cycle is NOT applicable on the XE (EU) servers as of now, since perforate dmg is really nerfed here.
    six shooters / hollows during enhanced bolt, bolt storm whenever possible, hollows aswell, nuke if you have spare SP
  • ScarrletttScarrlettt
    TheEvilEnderman

You probably should include the fact that this dps cycle is NOT applicable on the XE (EU) servers as of now, since perforate dmg is really nerfed here.
    six shooters / hollows during enhanced bolt, bolt storm whenever possible, hollows aswell, nuke if you have spare SP
    Well EU will eventually get the premiere version and XE will be discontinued.
  • Jolt1030Jolt1030
    Vindictus Rep: 200
    A+ Guide
  • IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    edited October 26, 2016
    If I could leave something here, the cool down 5 second stone is a better option for bolt storm as you can spam it more often. Additionally the head shot mechanic adds on for insight, armed and dangerous, and bolt storm damage, along with sticking bolts to the head from six shooter and perforate.

My waking build consists of
    Hollow shot +10% damage
    spin smash 10% damage.
    Hunting party 70 sp
    perforate 70 sp
    six shooter 70 sp
    enhanced bolt 22 seconds
    massive impact 22 seconds
    bolt storm 5 seconds
    hand bomb 5 seconds (used for break offs and for faster lavasat runs)
    Bunker buster 8% damage (holding skill barely use this unless it's extremely situational).

by the time your bolt storm is finished firing you will have a 44 second cooldown, adding a 5 second cool down stone will reduce it to once every 39 seconds before the next charge is ready since the bolt storm takes 6 seconds to fire it's entire clip.
  • EnigmaTaroEnigmaTaro
    Vindictus Rep: 3,815
    Just tested out 80 ats with my 5th anniversary xgun. It's nice to get alot of double hollow shot right away, but facetanking is also viable if you manage to hit 16k defense so less dodging.
  • ScarrletttScarrlettt
    Ikarsu
    Ikarsu said:

If I could leave something here, the cool down 5 second stone is a better option for bolt storm as you can spam it more often. Additionally the head shot mechanic adds on for insight, armed and dangerous, and bolt storm damage, along with sticking bolts to the head from six shooter and perforate.

My waking build consists of
    Hollow shot +10% damage
    spin smash 10% damage.
    Hunting party 70 sp
    perforate 70 sp
    six shooter 70 sp
    enhanced bolt 22 seconds
    massive impact 22 seconds
    bolt storm 5 seconds
    hand bomb 5 seconds (used for break offs and for faster lavasat runs)
    Bunker buster 8% damage (holding skill barely use this unless it's extremely situational).

by the time your bolt storm is finished firing you will have a 44 second cooldown, adding a 5 second cool down stone will reduce it to once every 39 seconds before the next charge is ready since the bolt storm takes 6 seconds to fire it's entire clip.
    I understand your logic but I do not agree. Enhance bolt lasts for 45 seconds and is not active for 33 seconds (has a 78 sec CD with awakening that starts the moment you activate it). That means u can bolt storm any time during that 33 second interval for maximum damage. Since enhance bolt is 45 seconds, the 44 seconds on bolt storm with the cd awakening is basically wasted. Rarely will you ever have bolt storm still on CD once enhance bolt is off CD. SP on the otherhand is always beneficial and can add up in a raid if you have done a couple bolt storms already. That will allow you to nuke faster or six shooter faster since u dont hve to build as much SP. and bolt storm is situational and hard to spam consistently like hollow shot or perforate
  • IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    Scarrlettt

I understand your logic but I do not agree. Enhance bolt lasts for 45 seconds and is not active for 33 seconds (has a 78 sec CD with awakening that starts the moment you activate it). That means u can bolt storm any time during that 33 second interval for maximum damage. Since enhance bolt is 45 seconds, the 44 seconds on bolt storm with the cd awakening is basically wasted. Rarely will you ever have bolt storm still on CD once enhance bolt is off CD. SP on the otherhand is always beneficial and can add up in a raid if you have done a couple bolt storms already. That will allow you to nuke faster or six shooter faster since u dont hve to build as much SP. and bolt storm is situational and hard to spam consistently like hollow shot or perforate
    Bolt storm does have a bigger risk when using it, but there are times where massive impact barely does any damage to its sp ratio that it's almost not worth using (due to the fact that some massives only hit for 35-39,000 damage on regular hits). I only see massive impact now as a way to interrupt a boss attack should one of their attacks be an instant kill.

On average, if you hit all the shots and depending on where you aim bolt storm, you are doing essentially up to 80-120,000 damage, 35-40,000 more damage that what massive impact is capable of, and depending on how fast you spam it, you can essentially obliterate the boss in no time flat in groups. Bolt storm also has insane range where you can even hit some bosses from across their arena.

A +15 gun does up to 3,500 damage per bolt if it hits the boss's head, giving bolt storm a total of 140,000 damage if all bolts hit the head, 20,000 more damage than my +11 gun.

Though, by the time one massive with 22 seconds (2:38) cools off, you can essentially spam 3 or 4 (:39) bolt storms in that time, as opposed to 1 or 2 (:44) bolt storms.

The explosive side depends more on critical rating, where if a kai has low crit rating, it would essentially cause the damage (like real explosions) to be extremely unstable and all over the place. Six shot's average damage is 3,000 per explosion, where 6 hits would total up to 18,000 assuming you hit all 6 bolts on your target. However, I have seen some 7K shots, so that can give six shot's potential to hit up to 42,000 damage. Heck, two six shooters even does more damage than a massive impact.

as you said before, hunting party is a must for every kai, and combining it with the greater cat's sp boost gives you 1.5 bars of charge, or 375 SP, which can make or break the next bolt storm charge, or the next attack in general.

However, if you plan on being a soloer, then bolt storm poses more of a risk to use on hand and chaining six shot and perf is a better option.

There are two viable builds for X gun kai, depending on your attack rating to critical hit ratio and assuming your balance is at 90 with 40-50 attack speed, or in my case, 52 attack speed. Sometimes you have to take a risk to get your reward of high damage output.

Additionally, as soon as the :39 or :44 marker hits, you can cancel out the ending animation to bolt storm by dodging (depending on what stone you have), and get right back into the action.

Just throwing it out there, but if you disagree, that's fine. Everyone has their preferences.

:D
  • ScarrletttScarrlettt
    edited October 28, 2016
    The thing is rarely will you actually be able to use bolt storm as consistently as other moves. Yes it does hve very high damage but you cant spam it as often due to the nature of most bosses. Six shooter and perforate hve low committment by comparison whereas bolt storm you have to tank 6-7 seconds to get the full storm in.

Regarding critical rating, im not sure what you mean but Imma break it down for you using +15 and capped stats as a baseline. As a guide line, the first number will be a noncrit and the second number will be a crit. These are average numbers btw.

Non enhance bolt:
    Six shooter: 3000-6000 per shot
    Perforate: 500-1000 per shot; there are 5 shots per perforate. (sp reduction)
    600-1200 (10% damage)
    Hollow shot: 6500-13000

Enhance bolt:
    Six shooter: 4000-8000 per shot
    Perforate: 625-1250-2500 (non crit); 1250-2500-4900 (crit) (sp reduction)
    750-1500-2900 (non crit); 1500-2900-5700 (crit) (10% damage)
    Hollow: 10000-19500 (first hollow)
    6000-12000 (second hollow).

Bolt storm: 2200-2300 non headshot x 30 shots
    3400-3600 headshots x 30. Keep in mind bolt storm technically always crits so when you get crit damage buff from trans, you do more damage per shot.

Nuke: 44000-88000

Those are pretty much accurate numbers. I've played kai alot so I know how he works very well.
  • Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    Bump this should be at the top
  • AimAndKillAimAndKill
    Vindictus Rep: 1,590
    Bolt storm actually hits 45 times @Scarrlettt it's an uncanny OP
  • Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    edited February 6, 2017
    i tested it you get 9 sp back per shot of bolt storm and got back 405 sp(without hunting party) that means bolt storm hits 144k-150.5k on headshots if all hits landed/99k-103.5k non handshots if all hits landed
    the numbers i listed are from 300 additional damage/attcapped/balcapped