[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Giving this game a shot

SpagtheTapDancerSpagtheTapDancer
Vindictus Rep: 430
in New Recruits
I recently rolled on the West Server(please warn me if it's dead compared to east, I can reroll) and I'm trying out Delia since it's a change of pace from my usual playstyles. Loving it, but I have some questions about the game in general.

1. Are there any tricks to getting a good deal of AP? I hear that you can max out all the skills in this game, so no need for picking and choosing with builds.
2. Should I really equip this blatantly OP gear I'm getting from the boxes or is it going to completely destroy content to the extent that I'll be bored senseless?
3. Any traps I should avoid with items?
4. solid lowbie way of getting some gold?

Comments

• BloodAngelBloodAngel
    Vindictus Rep: 1,875
    4. Good way to get gold as a new player is just take advantage of events, weather they give you a change to get a dye and you can sell it, or just get enchant scrolls still viable at higher levels (Valor es that drops from Fruitful hero mode, Enthusiastic that drops from Secret Naughty Chamber hero mode)
    -I don't play East so I wouldn't be able to tell you, but West has a fair population. I think just play whichever coast you're closer to so you have to deal with as little lag as possible.
    3. Only traps I can tell you to avoid is lvl 90 gear's composite system is a little complicated so just pay attention to the tidbit of information underneath the stats talking about how high it got be enchanted/enhanced/ and quality roll it can have before buying it. And when buying an Enchant scroll from a COD double check before you make your payment that its the one you requested.
    2. The new recruitment OP gear? It's nice for you get acclimated to the game and to get a feel for Delia so that you understand her core gameplay instead of fighting for your life and wasting any enlistment GG's you may have gotten.
    1. Do Warm Welcome every day with the Derpcat Traveler, and max meditation if you aren't too hardcore of a player because it definitely adds up. When I get to Rocheste and unlock all the raids there I just do them on easy mode since they always give 50ap. This Attendance will give 3000ap worth in capsules so like I said above, just take advantage of any events. Also s2 and s3 dailies give a good amount of ap for not a lot of time (Do not do Twilight Desert, you will take hours)

Good luck on Vindi I wish you all the best and may RnGesus be with you always :)
  • SpagtheTapDancerSpagtheTapDancer
    BloodAngel

4. Good way to get gold as a new player is just take advantage of events, weather they give you a change to get a dye and you can sell it, or just get enchant scrolls still viable at higher levels (Valor es that drops from Fruitful hero mode, Enthusiastic that drops from Secret Naughty Chamber hero mode)
    -I don't play East so I wouldn't be able to tell you, but West has a fair population. I think just play whichever coast you're closer to so you have to deal with as little lag as possible.
    3. Only traps I can tell you to avoid is lvl 90 gear's composite system is a little complicated so just pay attention to the tidbit of information underneath the stats talking about how high it got be enchanted/enhanced/ and quality roll it can have before buying it. And when buying an Enchant scroll from a COD double check before you make your payment that its the one you requested.
    2. The new recruitment OP gear? It's nice for you get acclimated to the game and to get a feel for Delia so that you understand her core gameplay instead of fighting for your life and wasting any enlistment GG's you may have gotten.
    1. Do Warm Welcome every day with the Derpcat Traveler, and max meditation if you aren't too hardcore of a player because it definitely adds up. When I get to Rocheste and unlock all the raids there I just do them on easy mode since they always give 50ap. This Attendance will give 3000ap worth in capsules so like I said above, just take advantage of any events. Also s2 and s3 dailies give a good amount of ap for not a lot of time (Do not do Twilight Desert, you will take hours)

Good luck on Vindi I wish you all the best and may RnGesus be with you always :)
    4. how frequent are events? Is there enough time left in the current one to get anything done?
    3. That sounds pretty normal.
    2. I'm worried more about being spoiled by the gear(specifically if they'll make the game too easy and I won't have the practice I need by the time I reach higher levels). it's also rather unappealing visually and I'm about a week from next payday so I can't buy a costume yet.
    1. I'll keep this in mind for sure.

extra question: is there a need or benefit to completely filling out the battle points in each map? I'm doing that in Perilous Ruins atm.
    Thanks a ton.
  • Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900
    edited December 28, 2016
    East and West servers are pretty much the same. You probably won't see any more than 20 people on Australia server, and they will probably be all on channel 1.

1) There aren't really any "tricks" but there are plenty of methods to increase your AP gains. I'll point out that it's only worthwhile to start AP farming once you hit level 60, so you might want to wait on that. Yes, you can max out all your skills eventually, but there are consequences to mindlessly maxing out whatever you want, so you might want to consult the Delia threads for skill-maxing priorities if you want smoother runs without having to AP grind. I'll leave these bullet points here since I don't really know a good way to explain them to you without being over-whelming:

Farming Information:
    -When you first start out you learn that all missions will grant a certain amount of AP, but each subsequent run will decrease the amount earned for that mission by 5...until you hit the flat minimum of 5 AP per mission (I think the minimum from raids is 10).
    -Later on in your levels, you'll encounter missions that are limited by a daily cap, usually once per day. For example, all raids level 60 and above grant 50 AP, and will never decrease from subsequent runs.
    -VIP/VVIP capsules are consumables that will increase the limit on all limited missions by one, and it will grant you extra XP towards your level and 50% more AP. So with VIP/VVIP status, you can get 75 AP per raid and run each raid twice per day.
    -AP Blessing stones and Divine Blessing stones also increase the AP awarded from battle missions by 10% (not multiplied by bonuses), but you have to use one each time you depart on a mission. While it only ends up being only a tiny bit of extra AP, you'll get more if you use it on higher AP rewarded missions.
    -Guilds have perks, and one of those perks awards you one extra AP after every mission you run. You'll be running lots of missions, so joining a guild will add up in the long run.

Other things that give AP:
    -Every day you will receive a Warm Welcome Ticket in the mail that can be traded to the Strange Traveler or his cohorts at any of the inns in exchange for a Warm Welcome Package. Inside will be a 50 AP capsule. You can buy the other mysterious kitty packages from the Strange Traveler and they will have a 30 AP capsule each. The supply will be restocked each day.
    -Every time you complete an episode in the main story, you will be awarded with an AP capsule.
    -By completing Skill Goals you will be awarded with AP capsules starting with capsules of 100.
    -The Meditation skill grants 1 AP about every hour. This can be improved by putting AP into it and increasing your INT. However, if you were to max this skill (Rank A) then it will not pay itself off for roughly 2 months. It will still grant you AP while offline though.
    -Royal Army raids become available at level 30. These raids can take a long time (20-30 minutes minimum) but they will award you 100 AP on completion and sometimes drop you extra AP capsules as loot (except the God of Fomors).

2) You should definitely equip the OP gear blatantly. Most classes can't even be played properly until level 30, and even then all your skills are unlocked at 60. You'll likely get bored out of your mind leveling by yourself or waiting to find someone to level with until level 60 anyway.

3) Not really any traps. Again, you won't even be playing properly until level 60. Heavy and plate armor will typically keep you alive longer than light and cloth, but you don't have to worry about what type of armor you want until enchantments become relevant (and beginners should never think about this until level 80 because of how depressing and dangerous enchanting is).

4) East and West servers are severely inflated with gold...so much so that the gold you get from just playing the game is not enough to pay for things that other players sell you. Magic Powders and Blessed Magic Powders that you pick up can be sold at the marketplace at undercut value to cover any expenses you might come across in your leveling days. Do not be afraid to spend gold or to sell these items because you can farm them back easily later on.
    thanks for the info! I'll remember to hit all those bases.
    Another question: Where do I get involved in this game's community? is there a specific Discord server that isn't dead? Similarly, is there a youtuber that has thorough guides for all the of the classes? I've tried looking things up, but all I've found are people that specialize in 1 class.
  • Order5Order5
    edited December 28, 2016
    There is currently nothing that rewards you for completing all the Battle Points in a mission other than feeling good about yourself for collecting "smileys". In fact this system has been ignored for so long that there are two bugs with them.

I don't know of any YouTubers that cover all classes, but there are a few that cover multiple classes. Most of those tutorial videos are probably a bit dated anyway. Asking someone in-game to teach you would be better, or consult the associated class section here on the forums and they can probably link you specific videos to doing specific things. As for the Discord, there are several tailored to a range of things. For example there's one that's sort of a global Vindictus, one that's West server specific, then a bunch of guild specific ones...I don't use Discord so someone else might be able to answer this better. I don't know if this global one is still up, but you can try it: http://shippuusblog.tumblr.com/post/137457897711/fan-sites-vindictus-discord
    SpagtheTapDancerSylarius
    edited December 28, 2016
    Order5
    Order5 said:

There is currently nothing that rewards you for completing all the Battle Points in a mission other than feeling good about yourself for collecting "smileys". In fact this system has been ignored for so long that there are two bugs with them.

I don't know of any YouTubers that cover all classes, but there are a few that cover multiple classes. Most of those tutorial videos are probably a bit dated anyway. Asking someone in-game to teach you would be better, or consult the associated class section here on the forums and they can probably link you specific videos to doing specific things. As for the Discord, there are several tailored to a range of things. For example there's one that's sort of a global Vindictus, one that's West server specific, then a bunch of guild specific ones...I don't use Discord so someone else might be able to answer this better. I don't know if this global one is still up, but you can try it: http://shippuusblog.tumblr.com/post/137457897711/fan-sites-vindictus-discord
    >Battle Points
    Honestly, I think I might clear it for the good feels anyway. I don't mind leveling slowly if it means I squeeze each map for everything it's got. similarly, I can't stand seeing uncompleted quest stories left. uncleared. I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs that actually reads quest text.
    >youtube tutorials being dated
    that's what kept me from watching a lot of them. didn't want to get info from patches long obsolete
    >discord
    seems the invite link has expired. I'll try looking around for a thread on an active server.

To come clean, I have tried this game before(one old as hell jump fiona at 50, one 37 vella that I quit for some reason, and a handful of 15ish characters) and it didn't stick but I'd still say I have next to no game knowledge. probably didn't stay with them because I couldn't stand the mountain of quests left to clear. might as well play from scratch at that point.

Also, is Wednesday maint day for this game?
  • Order5Order5
    edited December 28, 2016
    If you are working on the BP, then you might as well work on title farming while you do that. There are all sorts of titles for things like kicking kobolds or spearing wisps.

Yes, Wednesday is usually the maintenance, but once a month one of these is switched to Thursday because of Windows 10 updates.

As additional info, dailies reset at 9 am PST. This includes things like the Warm Welcome Ticket, Seal of Bravery cap, limited battle quests, AP Shop items, etc.
    sounds good.

Also, apparently I'm having to start over. I -was- playing on my steam account(which I thought had been linked to this when I played DFO on steam), which is separate from this nexon account(I have a handful of nexon accounts from my old DFO days) and swapped to the nexon launcher only to find out that it wasn't. swapped back and reinstalled via steam only to find out that steam suddenly doesn't have the permissions to finish downloading the game. figured I'd say screw it since I had a character that's similarly leveled.

so I'm going to move onwards with my 4 year old, lvl 17 Fiona that's sitting on like....30k AP. I think I'll be set for AP for at least a while. that'll be sweet.
  • Order5Order5
    I am uncertain if it's still a problem, but there has been a long-standing issue with Steam anyway; people who use Steam cannot see other people on their in-game Friend's list, and people who don't use Steam will see Steam-users as offline.
    that's a pretty good reason to log in via the official client then. time to learn Fiona.

She's closer to my normal playstyle anyway.
  • BloodAngelBloodAngel
    @SpagtheTapDancer There's still plenty of time left on this attendance event to get stuff done (3 or 4 days missing attendance grace time during this event span) and you can get plenty of merc pots or the snow bear bet to help you out in battles for the winter coupons. One event will end and another will begin, one will start mid another event. One may even last months like the level up boost event that was end of September to December 21st. Plenty of good stuff you just gotta stay aware of.

And the OP gear definitely makes the game easier but the bosses attack patterns and such are so basic in s1 it's really just brain dead leveling ever since they got nerfed at like s2 release. You really only need to start paying attention to boss att patterns by the time you get to rocheste, specifically the raids because there's sometimes a reason to run old raids, and it gets your brain acclimated to recognizing an attack wind up and dodging and countering it (especially with fiona).
    I did figure out the login for the steam-linked account so I'm back at Delia, juggling with my Fiona. liking both of them.

@BloodAngel thanks for the info on that. today I managed to nail my way up to 27 on delia and do a bunch of equipment stories alongside my main story. about to start the third section of quests.
    BloodAngel
  • BloodAngelBloodAngel
    Happy for you! Yeah just get them both to 60 and see which one you like, good to get them both to a higher level anyways so that during an event like this since they're both on separate accounts you can get the attendance rewards twice essentially. ^_^
    I wound up blowing $40 on my Delia today. Gotsa be cuteNpopular
    I've joined both of them. the reddit discord is really active, but the west is pretty dead.