[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

144hz Monitor

ISnatchMoneyISnatchMoney
Vindictus Rep: 1,995
edited March 18, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
Who plays this game with a 144hz monitor? It's amazing!! If you don't have one, you should definitely invest in one... Even though mine is 1920x1080, the difference was huge!

Gameplay is much smoother too..

Comments

• CessaCessa
    Vindictus Rep: 1,680
    Except it's all in your head because Vindictus is capped at 60 fps.
    Robeguy
  • ISnatchMoneyISnatchMoney
    Vindictus Rep: 1,995
    pls google the difference between hz and fps
  • CessaCessa
    You go google what difference a 144hz monitor makes to a 60fps game and come back to educate us.
  • TamagoTamago
    Vindictus Rep: 5,460
    With a game that's capped at 60 FPS, a 144 Hz monitor won't perform any different than a 60 Hz monitor. I have both.
    DaveyDaeDelteros
  • LeXicOLeXicO
    Vindictus Rep: 1,345
    useless.
  • Dinko4TheWinDinko4TheWin
    Vindictus Rep: 1,400
    ISnatchMoney

pls google the difference between hz and fps
    I would stop talking if I were you... There is actually no difference, and I do have a 144 hz monitor. I felt the same effect, but after the research I have found that FPS and hz are correlated.
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,545
    edited December 27, 2016
    @ISnatchMoney

Who plays this game with a 144hz monitor? It's amazing!! If you don't have one, you should definitely invest in one... Even though mine is 1920x1080, the difference was huge!

Gameplay is much smoother too..

I just bought a 144hz monitor for some other games, but decided to load up Vindi to see how it is. There actually is a pretty huge difference in picture quality, but I think that's because my previous monitor is like 10 years old. Colors are much brighter and more vivid, but no fps difference.

Overall though, it's really just shown me how dated this game is lol.
  • DebahrDebahr
    Vindictus Rep: 1,300
    Literally no difference. Game capped at 60FPS, just because the monitor is 144hz doesn't magically mean that the game will look like it's running at 144FPS.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    As an aside, I don't understand why people want insane frame rates. I like a game that feels fluid but realistic. All those extra frames in games that are capable of 80 fps and beyond just end up looking overly-smooth.

As to the thread topic, I think enough people have chimed in on why having a monitor with a higher refresh capability is useless for a game like Vindi.
  • WhiteYukiiWhiteYukii
    Vindictus Rep: 1,380
    Refresh rate makes no difference to a game's FPS, if it is capped at 60. You are seeing Vindictus at the same framerate.

What you ARE probably noticing without realizing is your 144 Hz monitor likely has a very low response time (1-2ms)
    This will cause a SIGNIFICANT difference in how a game feels compared to the more standard 4-6ms in 60Hz monitors, and it is often an overlooked/underrated feature on monitors that have just as big an impact on gameplay as refresh rate.
    I played on a 1ms monitor years now, and I can never go back to a normal monitor again, the input lag is just ridiculous in comparison.
  • WhiteYukiiWhiteYukii
    edited December 28, 2016
    @Prototypemind

Thats the point, you WANT it to be as smooth as possible. When you actually see a game running at 120fps for the first time, you will never EVER un-see it, you might not even like it at first because it is so jarring. When I first got into 120+Hz gaming, I literally got motion sick when I started up a game for the first time on the monitor, thats how smooth it was. But god did I LOVE it. The image was so clear and clean, no motion blur at all, it was almost like I was literally starring out a window into another world. A game running at anything lower than 60fps is almost unacceptable for me now, just like 30fps is for most gamers that game at 60fps.
  • CessaCessa
    1-2ms response time in gray to gray color gradations won't matter against 5ms gray to gray gradations.
    While you MAY see and feel better about it I highly doubt you can even tell when playing Vindictus.

This is THOUSANDTHS of a second.
    Human reaction speed is in the tenths of a second.
    The factor is off by HUNDREDS.
    And that's full gray to gray. Say, green to blue? That's probably all sub 1ms response times for the monitor.
    Seriously, if you can respond to things at a thousandths of a second you are in the wrong business. Go play baseball in the US and make millions because eye acuity and brain response times at that level? You can't train for that. You will be a miracle of nature, truly. They'll teach you to catch and hit a ball and your eyesight and reaction time will carry you through to become the most famous and richest baseball player ever.

If anything, what you may be experiencing is input lag. But that should've been solved earlier by having any decent monitor and turning off vsync anyway.
    A good gaming monitor will have practically 1ms or less input lag. Even when vsync is on.
    Non gaming monitors can have input lag in the tenths of a second like some Dell workstation monitors. That is atrocious and most everyone will be able to notice that, even when just browsing the internet in general they will notice that. Sometimes they attribute it to a slow responding computer when it's in fact just a .5 seconds input lag delay on their monitor.
  • WhiteYukiiWhiteYukii
    Yes, you CAN respond to something (or at least get feedback) that happens thousands of a second over and over again, don't underestimate the human brain. Just because you can't SEE it doesn't mean you can't detect it at all. With gaming monitors, you FEEL the difference. Framerate effects image smoothness (what you SEE) and response rate effects input lag (what you FEEL). What OP is probably saying without realizing it is he notices a drastic improvement in reduced input lag, and expressed it as "smoothness". a low ms will do this for all activities preformed on the monitor (because it is simply faster).

I have been gaming on a 144hz monitor with 1ms response time for over 3 years now, I still game often on my second monitor and my gaming laptops, which are all 60Hz and 5-7+ms response time. The difference is very apparent, especially for fast pace games like shooters. Not every monitor with high framerates, also has low ims. Take TVs for example, they can go up to 240+Hz and have stupid high resolutions, but usually have poor response rates because they typically don't receive much input from the user.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    WhiteYukii

@Prototypemind

Thats the point, you WANT it to be as smooth as possible. When you actually see a game running at 120fps for the first time, you will never EVER un-see it, you might not even like it at first because it is so jarring. When I first got into 120+Hz gaming, I literally got motion sick when I started up a game for the first time on the monitor, thats how smooth it was. But god did I LOVE it. The image was so clear and clean, no motion blur at all, it was almost like I was literally starring out a window into another world. A game running at anything lower than 60fps is almost unacceptable for me now, just like 30fps is for most gamers that game at 60fps.
    No, you want it to be overly-smoothed, I don't. I've played and viewed content like that and I don't like it, the same way I don't like TVs that don't have adjustable refresh rates and sync shows/movies at too high of a rate. It just looks weird to me.
  • NecrochildNecrochild
    Vindictus Rep: 3,325
    This thread hz me.
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,545
    ITT: Console peasants.

@WhiteYukii

This has been my experience so far, it's pretty neat.

• SuukeiSuukei
    Vindictus Rep: 3,220
    I rather spend the money on a new gaming rig or upgrading.