[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Staff Evie's Hop: Playing vs Coding

PuppymanPuppyman
Vindictus Rep: 3,055
edited June 28, 2017 in Evie
[This may belong in Evie section but I want multiple perspectives :<]

So i had a little argument with my brother about me Staff Evie's hop. I've mained staff for a long time now and I feel I do have a justifiable knowledge of how my character works.

Now, the argument is he claims Staff Evie's hop has an invulnerability frame, "because all characters have an invulnerability frame," I say otherwise. I know Staffie's hop can jump over ground circle AOEs such as Havan's rock throw and Cromm's last phase inclosing circles of doom., however it cannot be used to dodge a swing such as Druid's arm swipe or Keaghan's first upward swing (with the small exception of jumping over Havan's pillar spin because of tiny vertical hitbox).

I'm no coding expert nor gaming guru, but I know taurus-manure when I hear it.

I know Staff Evie had an invulnerability frame after breaking from the good 'ol amber. But, for the time I have played her, she has not had an invulnerability frame during her hop. Quite frankly she is the only(?) character without a reliable dodge that has invulnerability(Haven't played Fiona but I think she may lack as well)
I did pass this across him however he stated something along the lines of "she does have an invulnerability frame it's just so small it can't be used to dodge.*"
I argue that her hop was a different set of movement similar to running, from point A to point B, but not a dodge. He told me along the lines that: "Dodging is a separate slate and she cannot have it without invulnerability that's just how the game is made.*"

So inevitably I was just like:
dkqGS5R.png

So I challenged him to find me any evidence, I dared him to dig through the code and find that she had an invulnerability frame in her hop. And that's kind of where it stands at the moment.
From what I can remember off the top of my head is there has only been 2 changes to Staff Evie's hop and those were that it no longer allows you to recover stamina passively while hoping and you can no longer spam a superfastsonicspeed ani-cancel hop when you have 0 stam(Was most noticeable when Titan stam debuff was present)

What do you guys say?

*Quotes of his are not verbatim
  1. What's the truth of lil' Staff Evie?20 votes
    1. That's some taurus-manure for sure
       60% (12 votes)
    2. Well actually: _____.
       0% (0 votes)
    3. RISE is killing the game and you're arguing about this???
       30% (6 votes)
    4. You're both wrong: _____.
       5% (1 vote)
    5. Well, you're kind of right but so is he: _____.
       5% (1 vote)

Comments

• Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900
    edited June 28, 2017
    Puppyman wrote: »
    I did pass this across him however he stated something along the lines of "she does have an invulnerability frame it's just so small it can't be used to dodge.*"

Quite the trivial argument being made. If the invulnerability is technically there but can't be used to dodge, then it's just as good as not being there at all. So long as you both agree that hopping can't be used to i-frame anything, then there's little point in arguing further until something makes it relevant.
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    edited June 28, 2017
    Order5 wrote: »
    Puppyman wrote: »
    I did pass this across him however he stated something along the lines of "she does have an invulnerability frame it's just so small it can't be used to dodge.*""

Quite the trivial argument being made. If the invulnerability is technically there but can't be used to dodge, then it's just as good as not being there at all. So long as you both agree that hopping can't be used to i-frame anything, then there's little point in arguing further until something makes it relevant.

He insists there is an invulnerability present, I told him with his logic all movement has invulnerability but then he said it's not the same, the game uses something different for dodging than for walking/running and there has to be an invulnerability present, however small, for it to work at all ...
    Taurus-manure I tell you! Taurus-manure!

Sibling rivalry, he wants to seem to know more about games than me, which I could care less but he decided to step into my evie expertise.

5GLMkoc.png
  • Order5Order5
    edited June 28, 2017
    Well I've got one idea of how to test it, but...it could just be a flop. Go to the arena and try hop-dodge to gain the invulnerability buff from successful dodges. I believe it only triggers from i-framing through attacks, but I could be wrong. Be sure to test it with a Fiona's Guard to see if the buff triggers off of more than i-frames.
  • BoatGodBoatGod
    Vindictus Rep: 2,575
    I just want to inform your brother that not all character have i-frame dodge. My poor Fifi still has her non-invincibility dodge roll
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    Well I've got one idea of how to test it, but...it could just be a flop. Go to the arena and try hop-dodge to gain the invulnerability buff from successful dodges. I believe it only triggers from i-framing through attacks, but I could be wrong. Be sure to test it with a Fiona's Guard to see if the buff triggers off of more than i-frames.

I do believe, from farming seals in arena for artifact, that evie's hop activates the arena buff for the grand duration of her hop as a sort of fair balancing that allows Staff evie to survive in arena. But is a feature only present in pvp(?)/arena. if she had invulnerability like with a span as the one to proc arena buff, amber and sparrow would be a lot more situational for me given I'd have an great reliable dodge on my staff evie then.
  • Order5Order5
    BoatGod wrote: »
    I just want to inform your brother that not all character have i-frame dodge. My poor Fifi still has her non-invincibility dodge roll

The "dodge" roll is more of a quick re-positional tool, blocking is her main "dodge" mechanic.
  • HerucrossHerucross
    Vindictus Rep: 780
    her hop has no i-frames.
    fiona's roll has no i-frames.
    ErinieI
  • Yuria100Yuria100
    Vindictus Rep: 2,480
    edited July 18, 2017
    Fiona can use shield bash and shield charge to have iframes but they both use SP. Roll and hop don't have iframe, think they gave evie hop iframe in pvp arena or it just that buff ya talking about.
    The "dodge" roll is more of a quick re-positional tool, blocking is her main "dodge" mechanic.

Thats pretty much what hop is x3, and i think most people use hop to reposition themselves in such a way that a boss attack slightly misses them so they can quickly cast a move instead of ambering, skill cast canceling(trick to increase dps or for survival purpose) and to just spam cus hopping bunny o:) .

• ErinieIErinieI
    Vindictus Rep: 2,380
    edited July 19, 2017
    Can use Hop to speed outta Neams kill zone when hit with Weakness debuff but no iframe during hops, no.

Also, Amber is perfectly reliable?
    Or did you mean Dodge like Lann etc?
  • SamalenkoSamalenko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    edited July 20, 2017
    the hop has no invul. but it could get u out of the hitbox in some cases.

just hop thru any of the ingame earthquake waves. (havan throwing pillar, havan's aoe in iset, Neit's waves , etc)
  • NivictNivict
    Vindictus Rep: 620
    No i-frame. 4 characters have no iframe dodge and they are Evie, fifi, karok and hurk. but they have their own mechanics to make up for this.
  • DekapitatorDekapitator
    Vindictus Rep: 420
    Staffie don't have i-frames on her hop. I think Fact you can dodge some attacks is because of hitboxes. We need to separate few things.

Dodge is fast move to run away from enemy attack. Staffie had hard time before revamp, so they increased length of flying sparrow. There's no any correlation between dodge and i-frames at all. I-frames are used for mitigation damage and debuffs, while dodge is well, dodging attacks. I'm playing rather long, and I never noticed i-frames on hop. It can be special type of move, that can mitigate special attacks like waves, but I don't think thats a general rule.