[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Low FPS on high end laptop

HwangchanHwangchan
Vindictus Rep: 500
edited February 26, 2023 in General Discussion
Alright, so I got a new laptop Omen 16 with 32 GB and 3070 by the end of last August to replace my 1050ti. I only do play Vindi on my laptop and previously it was only 30 - 40 fps on my old 1050ti and I did expect to improve my fps in Vindi to a stable 60 fps.

However, till now with normal graphic settings in Vindi, I still only got 30 - 40 fps in raids while 20 - 25 fps in Taros 5 - 7 bars, which makes me feel frustrated cuz I upgraded my laptop just because I want to have better gameplay but now nothing has been changed.

I don't play games a lot so I am not sure how ppl set up the game, but 3070 should let me have 60 fps or even more without any other setups. Can someone give me some advice about this problem? Thank you.

Comments

• WilkoWilko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,750
    I'm fairly certain it's not the GPU being the problem. Vindictus is notorious for unexpected performance on decent hardware especially as they keep adding on to the frankenstein'd ancient build of the Source engine. I myself have occasionally tried things out on laptops with an i7-7700HQ CPU and a GTX 1070 and more recently a newer laptop with an i7-12700H and RTX 3070 Ti.

A few months back I only had access to that new laptop and when I played Vindictus some sessions would be stuck at a ridiculously low framerate regardless of graphics settings and idling in town while others would be perfectly fine 50-60. I could never figure out what that was about after messing with power settings and making sure there was no integrated graphics taking it over by accident. The inconsistency might have something to do with thread scheduling with the newer Intel CPU. Trying it now and it was solid 60 upon log in and then it dipped as soon as I entered town and plummets when I open up multiple UI windows. That last part isn't a surprise at all.

You haven't mentioned the CPU in either of your laptops. I don't think you'll get much help here because Vindictus is an enigma, but also the forums are really dead (and will be even more dead at the end of the month).
  • SirRFISirRFI
    Vindictus Rep: 7,360
    Vindictus is old game. It runs on very limited amount of cores and threads. As such, more GHz per core the better. CPU cache also helps a lot. GPU has barely any impact.

Following videos show how modern CPUs handle Vindictus, especially AMD's X3D ones with V-Cache:

• WilkoWilko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,750
    SirRFI wrote: »
    Following videos show how modern CPUs handle Vindictus, especially AMD's X3D ones with V-Cache:

I don't suppose there's much information out there on using DXVK with Vindictus. I gave it a shot and noticed some visual glitches like distant objects having messed up fog/other transparency effects, a reflection of a door showing just a flat solid color, and Nvidia Control Panel's forced AA being broken.