[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Is there some trick to timing enhanced marks?

Question2Question2
Vindictus Rep: 3,235
in Lynn
The visual cue is useless, even if you release the mouse right as you see the golden flash, it wont enhance your mark (unless delia's visual cues, which is pretty spot on). Is there some trick to timing the marks? Ive only managed to time it some of the time by releasing the mouse very shortly after pressing it, and lag makes everything go out of the window.

Comments

• BreadmanBreadman
    Vindictus Rep: 1,680
    The visual cue is the time when you have to release it. If you're seeing it, you're already way too late.
    It varies differently from person to person, but personally I use sound and muscle memory. If I ever play without sound, my rates drop to almost half.
  • Order5Order5
    Vindictus Rep: 5,900
    edited December 18, 2016
    ***As a reminder to all, you first need at least rank C in Fishtail Pole, Drunk Mantis, and Flying Guillotine in order to perform the enhanced smash associated for each.
    Breadman
    Breadman said:

The visual cue is the time when you have to release it. If you're seeing it, you're already way too late.
    It is as Breadman said above, if you see the blue energy visual, you're already too late. It's better to look at Lynn's physical attack animation if you're looking for a visual cue. However, you might benefit more from the knowledge that there are two methods to performing enhanced smashes: Hold-release and Double-click.

Hold-release is the natural method described in-game by the abilities because prior to rank C, you usually have to hold the smash key in order to perform the extended smash at all. For this method, you only have to worry about the timing of your release although it takes more precision.

Double-click is easier for most people because it's more flexible in its timing, but you have to learn both when to press the second smash and how long to hold it. After you press the initial smash key to perform Iron Machete, Broken Sword, or Centipede Strike, you can let go and wait until Lynn is at the end of the animation to press smash again. When you press smash this second time, you have to hold it a short while (like half a second) and then release. The way this is more flexible is because you have until Lynn returns to her battle stance to press-hold-release the second smash.

• NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    When I was learning the timings, I would keep an eye out for the point where Lynn starts to transition from the initial smash animation back to the next animation (neutral standing or start of second smash if you don't let go of smash at all). Letting go right before that moment when going for enhanced smashes worked for me. Easy example is LLLR since Lynn goes to a full stop and then spins in the other direction.

It's best not to overthink it though, it ends up being a muscle memory thing for most people and you're better off paying attention to the boss and being mindful of what your teammates are doing. I only really look at my character for the timings when I have speed boosts active now.
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    The timing seems very unforgiving, Delia has a similar mechanic but her visual cue is very obvious and there is a large window for you to use the enhanced smash. Lynn's window is very short. I have to release it almost immediately (less than 1 second) after the smash lands.
  • OhanaOhana
    Vindictus Rep: 300
    I don't like to say this, but the honest answer for learning lynn's timings is to get good. You have to play her a LOT and learn the feel for it. There's no guide or timing that someone can read up on or watch to learn. Everything can change the timing from fps drops to a tiny bit of lag where you will have to compensate on the timing. You need to honestly just know in your head "Ok it's time to release". The only tip I can give you that 100% works for me is that I press right click twice for the timing. I don't hold and let go. I press R to smash and let go, then hold down R and let go again to use the enhanced version.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    It's not just "getting good". The window for it is ridiculously tight, and slight issues with ping make a huge difference. It would be much better if it worked like Delia and Sylas' enhanced smashes.
  • SuhpremeSuhpreme
    Vindictus Rep: 3,935
    u just feel it after a while

all i play is lynn tho,

i remember recording the timings for each enhanced smash, theyre all different but just fractions of a second different
  • BreadmanBreadman
    Vindictus Rep: 1,680
    edited January 22, 2017
    In my experience playing 2 bars in parties and full bars solo, timing isn't really changed. I still function as I do marking wise.

Though it may vary from person to person, as a rough estimate playing one month since release only got me probably around 50% gold marks. It was also common to go into 'off' days and do blue after blue after blue marks even months afterwards. It's all just grinding it all out till you get it ingrained into muscle memory. Now I get legit mad if I land two blue smashes back to back.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    The SP move for up to three marks is pretty nice. Still feel like the standard enhanced smash should work with an indicator the way others smashes do. Indicator>Smash.