[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Why The Abomination? (Curious)

탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
Vindictus Rep: 5,590
in General Discussion
Considering some translations I have seen I figured Habitant would have been what you guys would have chosen. What sparked the idea for Abomination? Kinda curious.

Comments

• dazedgumballdazedgumball
    Vindictus Rep: 7,725
    edited December 14, 2016
    Simply because it actually looks like an abomination. It is half insect, half man after all. I really wished they kept the Habitant as the name.
  • ShadowMadaraShadowMadara
    Vindictus Rep: 2,260
    But first what does a Habitant mean?!
  • dazedgumballdazedgumball
    Vindictus Rep: 7,725
    MK2Xiao said:

An inhabitant.

Accurate due to the fact that the title of this creature is called the Denizen of the Deep
    dazedgumball

MK2Xiao said:

An inhabitant.

Accurate due to the fact that the title of this creature is called the Denizen of the Deep
    Hmm yeah I feel habitant sounds better but the abomination also describe this creature in a sense.
    BloodAngel
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    I'll reserve judgement until I experience the story for myself. I personally warmed up to the name Habitant during the wait for this episode, since I've just been assuming it's a creature that lives in Berbhe that we disturbed/woke up through our actions in the story battles.

The word abomination has more meanings to it than just "gross thing", and I'm hoping that the monster's role in the story of Berbhe is the reason why they went with the change. If it's just some guy on the localization team going "Habitant? That ain't even a word! That right there's just an abomination!" then I'll be a bit bothered.
    BloodAngel
  • DeafEyeAnceDeafEyeAnce
    Vindictus Rep: 535
    To me, a lot of the things we've been fighting already are abominations. Juggernaut for example? It feels like a lazy name to slap on. But I also agree with Noburo, I'll reserve judgment until I see the story behind it.
  • DarkOptimistDarkOptimist
    Vindictus Rep: 470
    As a Canadian, Habitant always felt really awkward as a name, since it's also the name brand of (popular?) soups. I don't think the mental image of a giant yellow can of soup instills the kind of emotion the developers were going for with this boss.

The Abomination is hardly original and puts me in mind of the Marvel character, but I'd say it's a step in the right direction.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Yeah its not bad at all i agree. Was just curious.
    Anyone feels like neimhain is actually the war god Macha? In the end of Lugh we saw Macha talking to Milo and Iset sooo I think that's actually Neimhain
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    Neamhainn is another goddess actually. It seems weird that players would be fighting her though. Macha had more foreshadowing and would have fit the role better.

Abomination fits way more IMHO, i can 100% guarantee there would be a way larger backlash if they had gone with "Habitant".
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Question2
    Question2 said:

Neamhainn is another goddess actually. It seems weird that players would be fighting her though. Macha had more foreshadowing and would have fit the role better.

Abomination fits way more IMHO, i can 100% guarantee there would be a way larger backlash if they had gone with "Habitant".
    Kinda. Yes and no. Depends on how many people prefer Korean Names over NA names xD as well as accuracy.
  • IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    Abomination... a thing that causes disgust or hatred.

when you look at it, it has a bug's body, a human head, can rotate in multiple directions like a doll, and has an appearance that makes Silent Hill monsters look cute and cuddly.

so yeah, Abomination should fit this boss perfectly for localization since Habitant literally means that you are French settler in Canada, and that would offend a load of people considering today's generation.
  • NoburoNoburo
    Vindictus Rep: 2,940
    edited December 15, 2016
    I was going for the second definition of abomination on most sources; the word can be used as another word for hatred itself. Calling it "The Abomination" or "Abomination" would be actually be super cool to me if it had a story that inspired its hatred, like "The Fury" from Metal Gear Solid 3. To quote the news post, "it has no grand plan, no sinister machinations, no mighty goals to aspire to. It exists for one reason alone: To destroy and consume." and that's why I sound a bit pre-emptively disappointed with the change. Again, if the story dialogue adds more to it I'll probably end up loving it.

If they didn't want to offend French Canadians they wouldn't have slapped us with the horribad CAD NX exchange rate and not adjusted it according to how the US dollar has changed since then.

edit: Before anyone jumps on me for that^, I realize it would've been worse when usd was 1.50 cad earlier this year, but when the change happened it was at 1.25 or so and started dropping again for a few months. Subject for another thread anyways.
  • IkarsuIkarsu
    Vindictus Rep: 3,765
    Noburo
    Noburo said:

I was going for the second definition of abomination on most sources; the word can be used as another word for hatred itself. Calling it "The Abomination" or "Abomination" would be actually be super cool to me if it had a story that inspired its hatred, like "The Fury" from Metal Gear Solid 3. To quote the news post, "it has no grand plan, no sinister machinations, no mighty goals to aspire to. It exists for one reason alone: To destroy and consume." and that's why I sound a bit pre-emptively disappointed with the change. Again, if the story dialogue adds more to it I'll probably end up loving it.

If they didn't want to offend French Canadians they wouldn't have slapped us with the horribad CAD NX exchange rate and not adjusted it according to how the US dollar has changed since then.
    Fawful would be proud to have a boss based on the embodiment of FURY.