[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

RISE RANT

Comments

  • RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,275
    Posts: 625
    Member
    Elyr wrote: »
    That was never a thing, christ. S1 had 3 males 2 females, S2 had 2 female 1 male, S3 2 females 1 male. Arisha was released in that weird period between S2 and S3 where we didn't have any new story-related content, only Niflheim, which is closer to S2 than S3, so if we go by your "male:female ratio" it's S2 who threw that away already

    Do you realize that the game on NA originally started with 2 characters, Lann and Fiona? Then they added Evie a couple of months later.

    And the way you choose your words and inserting gifs to think you are cool instead of writing something is annoying.
    Rezi
  • ElyrElyr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,430
    Posts: 178
    Member
    Do you realize that the game on NA originally started with 2 characters, Lann and Fiona? Then they added Evie a couple of months later.
    And your point is? I've started on EU right after Evie release, but I know Lann and Fiona were the two original characters.
    And the way you choose your words and inserting gifs to think you are cool instead of writing something is annoying.
    ESL plus image-board culture, can't really do much about that, especially if a picture tells more than one thousand words.
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    Posts: 93
    Member
    These changes are garbage, and if it weren't for friends who still play on occasion to enjoy it I'd peace out just like I did with SWTOR and GW2.

    Disappointed with Vindictus i returned recently after many years to SWTOR, only to be appalled at finding the same issues i was running away from. Played for days and never got challenged, apart from the game trying to get money out of me. Is that why you quit or? i'm unsure about continuing playing it.
    Rezi
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    Posts: 436
    Member
    edited December 13, 2017
    Elyr wrote: »
    especially if a picture tells more than one thousand words.

    It doesn't. And ESL literally does not matter - plenty of people that have ESL use far better English than most native speakers. English being your second language doesn't excuse the amount of emotion you put into your post. Subjectivity and some emotion are fine, but I'll agree that you overexaggerated a bit. That doesn't have anything to do with English, but rather how well you're able to effectively communicate your feelings into your words without being too bland or too flavorful. Your words are a bit too flavorful, though honestly not enough for someone to complain imo.
  • CashewsCashews
    Vindictus Rep: 1,255
    Posts: 91
    Member
    Rezi wrote: »
    10,000 phases of red unblockables and invulnerability cycles on bosses.

    Exactly. These things don't increase difficulty, just boredom and annoyance. Make me get disabled then combo'd by a boss for failing to do a perfect dodge, instead of knowing dodge patterns to dodge easily out of the way if ever need be or being unable to dodge because of terribly large hit ranges that assume you have max resist skills.

    Goes back to one of the original problems I highlighted though. When every character has 20 seconds of invulnerability frames, you've powercreeped your game to the point you have to do something to make sure people can still get hit. I actually am probably in the minority in that I am a fan of the red attacks, because they emphasize positioning over just iframing through everything, which is pretty similar to other games I've loved playing like Monster Hunter or Dark Souls. There's a limit though: Abomination's red diving attack is really stupid and Braha in general is stinking garbage.

    But yeah, after having recently started S2 quests and realizing Zaka takes longer to kill than actual bosses (and even then, they still go down in like 20 seconds), it's clear everything before 90 is a shitshow. As far as post-90, maybe it's because the friends I usually play with aren't extensively geared, but I have never seen a season 3 boss go down in less than 5 minutes. They usually take about 7-10, which is probably right in my personal sweet spot. Though yes, when one of those +15 top 10 rank people comes in to my quick battle, it's very clear additional damage is absurd. I also prefer smaller parties over larger ones, so the removal of 8 man raids isn't a huge issue for me. Still, we already had the option to do 4 man raids if we wanted to in the form of Oaths of Honor. I can't understand why the new director is so adamantly against giving players choices.
    Rezi
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Posts: 1,320
    Member
    Arishante wrote: »
    These changes are garbage, and if it weren't for friends who still play on occasion to enjoy it I'd peace out just like I did with SWTOR and GW2.

    Disappointed with Vindictus i returned recently after many years to SWTOR, only to be appalled at finding the same issues i was running away from. Played for days and never got challenged, apart from the game trying to get money out of me. Is that why you quit or? i'm unsure about continuing playing it.

    EA's horrible management, which is somehow even worse than Nexon's, the Dev team and Community Managers lying to players about changes that are coming and stringing them along so that they'll continue to play and spend money, and the worst engine of any AAA MMO released as a contemporary. The low level story was amazing well but that just got worse and worse as time went on and they were churning out content just to do it rather than to make the game more enjoyable. It had lots of potential, but everything that could go wrong to take away from such a strong property has gone wrong and it's not even worth logging on anymore. I actually have a nice bit of Cartel Coins saved up that I could go crazy with, but I can't be bothered to download the game again in its current state.

    The horrible changes to the skill "trees" as well. What they've done is the equivalent of Vindi only allowing each character to have one SP move and maybe two selected for a battle. There's no choice at all as to how you play characters. You choose a tree, you do a specific rotation, and that's that. There used to be tons of theory crafting around SWTOR because of the flexibility available, with people testing on parsers to see how things shook out. Some people could pull off viable damage numbers doing things their own way. That is dead and buried, and the game continues to change for the worse, getting oversimplified to the point that all joy is gone.

    The game is just bad, and it saddens me that EA was able to renew their rights to Star Wars digital titles, meaning that no one else will be able to produce something better for at least the next few years. Disney sucks for letting them continue with it, but that's life.
    Rezi
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    Posts: 718
    Member
    Cashews wrote: »
    Question2 wrote: »

    If you want raids to take longer there are no shortage of ways to increase kill time by yourself.

    -Solo
    -Use weaker gear
    -Do raids on hero mode

    I don't want raids to take longer. Everything past lvl 90 is fine. I just don't want the battles I enjoyed while leveling other characters reduced to 5 second wastes of time that can't even be classified as tutorials. It takes all the way up until episode 8 for things to survive past their entrance animation, and then after that they increase their HP by a few seconds.

    I hit level 70 while still barely in Rocheste story, but I decided to visit Lakoria in level 60 gear for exp. It took about 7 seconds. Stuff like Klaus and the Giant Spiders, which used to be really enjoyable to solo and gauge how well you have been learning your new characters, are now reduced to 3 mouse clicks. It's simply unacceptable.

    Thing is, people who enjoyed stuf low level stuff being hard were in the minority. Why else do you think most newbies quit before getting near end game? Ask all the guild leaders/officers who tried to help newbies level.

    Ask all the people leveling miris now...for every one saying they wanted it harder, theres probably at least 10 whos happy that its easy.

    I agree they should have kept low level hero mode though, infact, hero mode titles from white tyrant and others are still there but its impossible to get them...
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    Posts: 436
    Member
    Question2 wrote: »
    Ask all the people leveling miris now...for every one saying they wanted it harder, theres probably at least 10 whos happy that its easy.

    It's the opposite. For every single person that hated the "difficulty" of low level content, there were at least 10 who were happy that there was an MMO that actually challenged them.

    The only thing people may have hated was grind for endgame equipment, but that was optional back then and most players just waited until the new content that had a higher level cap, and didn't even worry about that grind.

    Now they've made the game entirely about endgame grind, when before you didn't have to have endgame gears to beat Hero, since your skill could carry you (and now we have drops based on overall DPS which is just stupid).
  • CashewsCashews
    Vindictus Rep: 1,255
    Posts: 91
    Member
    edited December 14, 2017
    I mean you still had to have really good gear to reasonably clear certain Hero dungeons. If I recall it took me and my 3 friends with +8-10 lvl 60 weapons like half an hour to beat Hero Larken. His hero mode form had something like 11k def and unless my memory is failing me, 13k or 14k was quite the accomplishment at that time. It wasn't until lvl 70 gear that it became significantly faster, and lvl 70 gear was INSANELY hard to get. Endgame gears both now and then were never about clearing content, it was about speeding it up (except maybe Neamhain, but I've never done it). I bet you I could solo Lord Glas with +10 lvl 80 gear, but it's going to take me forever. Endgame grind is still entirely optional, but the difference now is they made everything pre-end game so trivial to acquire that the only real work you'd ever have to do to get gear IS the end-game grind. Obviously this has come with its own pros and cons.

    I actually talked with my friend who got one of his friends to try the game for the first time yesterday. This person having come from games like Tera didn't think the game was able to be played with your feet like us 7 year veterans, and thought the difficulty was actually in a good spot. So clearly people that the difficulty neuter was designed for exist, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of an option for players to challenge themselves if they wish. In fact, I can't even comprehend what they had to gain by removing it. Hard mode/Hero mode stats, drops, etc were all already coded and developed. I honestly feel like it cost them more resources to remove the difficulties than if they just left them in, but I'm not a coder.
    Rezi
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    Posts: 436
    Member
    Exactly. There was no reason to remove the difficulties. If they wanted to make the game piss easy, they could've just made Easy runs qualify for all quests and changed Easy/story exp to boost players up to 90 without having to use higher difficulties. At least then the item drop difference and title gain could have stayed with higher difficulties for the players that want to play the game correctly.
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited December 15, 2017
    Arishante wrote: »
    These changes are garbage, and if it weren't for friends who still play on occasion to enjoy it I'd peace out just like I did with SWTOR and GW2.

    Disappointed with Vindictus i returned recently after many years to SWTOR, only to be appalled at finding the same issues i was running away from. Played for days and never got challenged, apart from the game trying to get money out of me. Is that why you quit or? i'm unsure about continuing playing it.

    The horrible changes to the skill "trees" as well. What they've done is the equivalent of Vindi only allowing each character to have one SP move and maybe two selected for a battle. There's no choice at all as to how you play characters. You choose a tree, you do a specific rotation, and that's that. There used to be tons of theory crafting around SWTOR because of the flexibility available, with people testing on parsers to see how things shook out. Some people could pull off viable damage numbers doing things their own way. That is dead and buried, and the game continues to change for the worse, getting oversimplified to the point that all joy is gone.

    That's it, i thought something is off about the game. Couldn't remember too well but indeed there was a much more flexible skill tree before, now they hold your hand while you go through it. I stayed for story before tbh, some classes had arcs as good as you'd find in single player games. But that like Vindictus s1 and s2 loses its shine because of easy mode being the only mode you progress through. Anyway thanks for answering, back to the topic.
  • ReziRezi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,585
    Posts: 436
    Member
    edited December 15, 2017
    I left SWTOR because of the story. I went in after it became F2P, so I didn't really have an opinion about the combat, but what irked me was how they presented the story with moral choices yet those choices were presented poorly.

    I mean, SWTOR listed some choices as moving toward light or dark, so players could fit in as Sith or Jedi. But many of those choices didn't match their alignment, and there were very few grey choices that stayed grey. Compare that to COH:GR where no choices were given an alignment, and each personal choice the player made led them to scenarios that molded their own personal sense of ethics, with their final alignment on the scale from hero to villain depending on their entire journey; in SWTOR, a single choice damned the character's alignment, even if they made the choice that would actually fit their ethics (light choices were often brutal, while dark choices often noble, or there were extremes, and none of it really fit what a real person would do in said situations).

    So while SWTOR had a good concept, in the end I feel that it was a waste of time and energy; I'd rather play a game like Vindi with good mechanics and a meh linear story, than play a game like SWTOR with meh mechanics and a badly presented non-linear story.

    I think the worst of all was how stereotyped the characters in SWTOR were. Sith were seen as megalomaniacs while Jedi were seen as wise saviors, despite the fact that Sith are simply emotional (doing what they personally believe is right, or what's selfish) while Jedi are apathetic (following arbitrary rules while politically manipulating everyone). Despite that, SWTOR committed the same sin as the movies - it made Jedi look like infallible good guys, while the Sith were seen as irredeemable villains.
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    Posts: 93
    Member
    Well yes the concept was bastardized, when you have good/evil/neutral alignments, you shouldn't be forced to go with just one of them from start to finish. i found sith knight arc amazing though, and the reason for it was because i went light-aligned which had a big impact on story line. You could say she was a jedi planted in the sith empire, which a companion iirc remarks so.
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    Posts: 1,320
    Member
    Rezi wrote: »
    I left SWTOR because of the story. I went in after it became F2P, so I didn't really have an opinion about the combat, but what irked me was how they presented the story with moral choices yet those choices were presented poorly.

    I mean, SWTOR listed some choices as moving toward light or dark, so players could fit in as Sith or Jedi. But many of those choices didn't match their alignment, and there were very few grey choices that stayed grey. Compare that to COH:GR where no choices were given an alignment, and each personal choice the player made led them to scenarios that molded their own personal sense of ethics, with their final alignment on the scale from hero to villain depending on their entire journey; in SWTOR, a single choice damned the character's alignment, even if they made the choice that would actually fit their ethics (light choices were often brutal, while dark choices often noble, or there were extremes, and none of it really fit what a real person would do in said situations).

    So while SWTOR had a good concept, in the end I feel that it was a waste of time and energy; I'd rather play a game like Vindi with good mechanics and a meh linear story, than play a game like SWTOR with meh mechanics and a badly presented non-linear story.

    I think the worst of all was how stereotyped the characters in SWTOR were. Sith were seen as megalomaniacs while Jedi were seen as wise saviors, despite the fact that Sith are simply emotional (doing what they personally believe is right, or what's selfish) while Jedi are apathetic (following arbitrary rules while politically manipulating everyone). Despite that, SWTOR committed the same sin as the movies - it made Jedi look like infallible good guys, while the Sith were seen as irredeemable villains.

    Eh, I can't really agree. The characters had a lot of nuances. The Republic Admiral that you dealt with as a Commando was very questionable in her pragmatism and did some dark things that she felt were justified. Thanaton was pure Sith, but rarely exuded evil in his decisions. There were lots of archetypes presented, but rare were those at least as main characters who were one-dimensional. Yes, some of the dialogue and choices were poorly done, but the majority was amazing, hence why so many people burned through the content so quickly, because the story made them want to keep going to see what came next.

    Whatever BioWare did to screw up the franchise with EA holding their hand, telling bad stories wasn't it.