The basics of it can be found in the update notes: http://vindictus.nexon.net/news/54486/character-friendship-system
I'l cover anything that isn't mentioned there.
It is located above the Mercenary Outpost in Colhen.
Captain Crimson is the dog at the Gift Shop/Mission board in the Lounge.
All 4 Missions count as "battles at your level" for events. They also cost 0 Fatigue each. So if you need to kill Normal Monsters without wasting Fatigue, this is where to do them.
Area 1 Colhen Night Patrol Mission has a little over 50 Normal Monsters guaranteed.
Everyone has the same daily limit for increasing Closeness.
A favorite gift will increase Closeness more than a normal gift. The comment they give with receiving it will be different too.
A mission clear will increase Closeness more than a mission fail, both still increases Closeness.
Chitchat has a cap of its own, but it also can't pass the daily limit.
At the moment, increasing Closeness is only good for unlocking more dialogue and titles. So it is quite useless if you don't care for them.
There are currently 22 Titles to be obtained. (10 runs of each of the 4 missions for 4 titles, then reaching level 2 for all characters for 18 more titles)
In a future update, another 18 more Titles will be added for a total of 40 Titles.
15 for reaching level 3 with each character, and 3 more titles for having 5/10/15 Level 3 Allies.
(You will need a different alt to level up your main's character, then go back to your main to collect the title)
Click "Ally Friendships" in the top left corner of the screen while in the Lounge to see the Achievement Rewards.
As well as some achievements which give Friendship Seals (Give 50 gifts to each merc).
The progress towards completing these achievements are account shared, so if you want to complete the battle ones for free in 1 day, you can use different characters, then go to the one you want it on and collect.
All prizes to the achievements can only be claimed once per account. The titles are "ID Titles".
There's really no need to summon a merc, as you can cap the seals even if you fail all 5 missions each day.
It is only there so you can increase the Closeness of the mercs that aren't there.
Hold ctrl the entire time while clicking on chitchat to speed things up.
Most have seen these lists: 1
But since you can only buy the items and they cost the same, you can simplify it to just 6 items in your inventory to save inventory space if you buy in bulk for some reason.
The cheapest way to max Closeness for the day is:
7-8 Fav gifts (Stopping at 7 gives 550/555 Closeness)
9-10 Fav gifts (Stopping at 9 gives 540/555 Closeness)
Note that there seems to be a (possibly) random chance for everyone to suddenly be uncomfortable if you talk to them near the end of the day. You can stop gifting if that does happen.
Closeness indicator text:
When you have not reached the limit: "You feel like you grew closer to [Merc]."
When you reached Chitchat limit: "There seems to be no change to the relationship between you and [Merc]."
When you reach the Daily limit: "[Merc] seems to have started feeling uncomfortable around you." (Doing more after it will not increase/decrease closeness.)
You still feel quite distant from [Merc]. (Initially)
It seems like you're beginning to get used to [Merc].
It seems like you're grown familiar with [Merc] now.
You feel like you've grown quite close to [Merc] now.
You feel very close with [Merc].
You feel like you've grown more familiar with [Merc].
You feel like you've become well-acquainted with [Merc].
Haven't talked for a long time:
You feel like you've become more distant from [Merc].
You feel rather awkward now, as you haven't visited [Merc] in quite a while.
1 Normal gift: 20
1 Fav gift: 30
1 Chitchat: 20 (Max 200 per day)
1 # topic to that specific character: 20 (but has a chance to already be capped from the start of the day)
1 Mission cleared: 140
1 Mission failed: 70
Daily limit: 555
Closeness required for each level: 10000
If you talk with a character's own # that was unlocked, there is a chance to get 20 Closeness or it just nothing. Seems random. The dialogue to unlock the topic has the same trigger.
Ally Friendships -> Closeness Status -> mouse over a merc will show "Current Closeness: <level>". This corresponds to the level.
Level 1: Acquaintance
Level 2: Ally
1. Colhen Night Patrol Mission (Defend the walls 2min of mobs and a boss at the end)
2. Infiltration and Recon Mission (Gather items, or Kill boss boss 1 room)
3. Basic Supply Mission (Enhance game, or Kill boss boss 2 room)
4. Town Support Mission (Save sheep, or Kill boss boss 1 room)
Clears give 2 seals, fails give 1 seal. The moment you die, you fail, no revives allowed.
The fastest way to cap seals (5 seals) is to clear either modes in Mission 4.
The fastest lazy way to cap seals (5 seals) is to go into 2 or 4, then forfeit if it's not the kill boss version. Type /leave in chat instead of waiting for the forfeit button to load.
If you want to clear them for the title:
1. Ends when boss dies, don't bother with catapult due to limited rounds. Flinch/Kill mobs to protect the walls, high range characters such as Miri have an advantage in this.
2. Tell NPC to follow you to a chest, tell them to stand then gather items while you flinch all the mobs (can kill too, but flinch each is enough). Don't run too far ahead, make sure the NPC is following you, if you are too far away the NPC can't hear your commands.
3. There is no time limit, you can take as long as you want. I usually alt-tab out and let the npc do their thing, then come back and score just enough to win.
Hover mouse over the ? to see the enhance-to-points rate.
+5 can still fail even if you hit the blue area, so if you can win with all +4, go for it. But if you calculate that you need more points, get the minimum number of 5s. If you still need more, good luck, you'll likely lose.
Since it is luck based, this can happen.
Enhance level - Chance to work - Chance to work if you hit the blue area
+1 - 80% - 100%
+2 - 75% - 100%
+3 - 70% - 100%
+4 - 65% - 95%
+5 - 60% - 90%
+6 - 50% - 80%
+7 - 40% - 70%
+8 - 30% - 60%
+9 - 20% - 50%
+10 - 10% - 40%
4. Tell NPC to save the sheep while you flinch/kill mobs. If 5 sheep die, it ends with a fail.
The first sheep is close, you can pick it up and tell the NPC to pick up a second before the mobs come, securing sheeps 1 and 2.
You need to tell the NPC to pick up another sheep again each time they save a sheep.
I usually just flinch the mobs, pick up another sheep while they are flinched and bring it back at the same time as the NPC, securing sheeps 3 and 4.
Then just let the NPC get the last sheep while you flinch the mobs.
If you have Greater Werewolf Paw, you can use it at the start and grab 3 sheep (while the NPC grabs 2) and finish just as the effect of Paw ends.
Mobs currently respawn as soon as they die, which is why there isn't too much of a difference between just flinching or killing.
In a future update, there will be a delay before respawn.
Topics that can be unlocked
Note: #Coffer Chaser being unlocked in the initial meeting instead of #Vella is correct. You will see after reading the dialogue.
) and Lann
's # does not unlock after additional dialogue.
have one too.
All characters will have 9 unlockable topics, except for the aforementioned Lynn with 7 and Lann with 8. But you can't unlock your own character's #s on the same character, so:
Lann can unlock 124
Lynn can unlock 125
Everyone else can unlock 123
KR has another 9 for Lethor.
Topics are unlocked when enough Closeness is reached.
Note: non-bold #s
are translated from Korean and may not be accurate or could be changed when localized.
Automatically obtained while talking to Lann:
- A young man with a bright expression. His rye-colored hair always seems mussed by the wind. He gives off the aura of an expert swordsman.
- Train your body hard to reach your full potential. Perseverance and diligence is always rewarded!
- The current goal to achieve a bigger goal. Objectives are great for giving direction and providing motivation.
- For as long as can be remembered, humans and Fomors have been at war. No one knows when this battle might end. Or what the end might bring with it...
- A fight to the death for public entertainment. Most spectators are nobility or gamblers looking for a payout. Once it was quite popular, but no longer. Back in those days, the nobility would sponsor and train fighters.
- A person or class of people who have had their basic rights and freedoms taken away, becoming someone else's property. Due to drawn-out wars and despicable moral standards, trading people for gold has become a rampant practice on the fringes of society.
- People are given multiple chances in their lives. Whether they grasp it or let it pass is their measure.
- Moments of life passed by... Some think of them as bitter pain. Others remember them as unforgettable memories.
Automatically obtained while talking to Fiona:
- A female swordsman from the south. Despite her great combat ability, her eyes appear haunted, as if she's still stuck in the past.
- It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that a merc's life consists of slogging from one mission to another.
- A large, barren area at the southern part of the western continent. Even in that tree-less land, the war rages on.
- Perhaps it holds no tangible value, but one's reputation can nonetheless hold value to oneself and to others.
- A handy piece of equipment that you can hold in your hand to protect your body from attacks.
- An area created on the opposite side of the object, cast by light. This is where the light cannot shine.
- One of the many ways to communicate with another being. Communication through speech is generally called a conversation. Considering how much has been accomplished throughout history with conversation, it would be wise not to underestimate its power.
- Description of a state where what is important is lost, while only the meaningless remain. This is the shell, as opposed to the core. Everyone tries to be the core and not the shell, but finding that personal line is a challenge. This text describing the shell with hollow words can also be called a shell.
#Efforts - The act of striving to achieve a goal. People often only find value in effort if their goal has been achieved. Were they to change their perspective just slightly, however, they would see there is equal value in the many failures made along the way.
Automatically obtained while talking to Evie:
- An elemental magician who tries to lead the world through hope. You can sense the heart of a martyr beneath her bright smile. She's ready to sacrifice herself for any worthy cause.
- A string instrument favored by bards. The music it plays may be simple, but it can fill the soul with all sorts of emotions.
- Healing is also important for the mind. A healed, whole mind is a pure mind.
- Even those who care little for social status are labeled by it. That's just what it means to be a part of society.
- A father does not have to be biological. A true father could come from from the strangest of places, even from a different social rank.
- Worries tend to linger the more one wishes them gone. These worries are but lost, and much like how people need maps when lost, worries need something to guide them. Their map is not the tangible paper with lines and points, of course, but a dear friend and an open dialogue.
- Taking on the weight of someone else's life. One cannot thoughtlessly take on responsibility, though it can be hard at times to tell where responsibility lies. A lot of matters in this world are muddied by the question of responsibility.
continued with no topic
- What does it mean to forfeit something dear to you for the sake of others? Many do not understand the true meaning of sacrifice, nor do they understand its virtues. They simply weigh what is lost and what is gained for their benefit. Is sacrifice for the sake of self-interest truly sacrifice at its most just?
- Heading to the same place together. The most valuable relationships in life are found while heading to the same place together.
Automatically obtained while talking to Karok:
- A giant who has broken free from the shackles of tradition and is currently studying the world of humans.
#Language (Language with Eira)
- Language is the first magic a person encounters. It's the magic that connects you to the world, and it's the foundation of relationships.
- Some folks say that with giants, it's fists first, thoughts second, but it'd be incorrect to consider them a belligerent race. It'd be more accurate to say that giants use their fists as a medium through which their thoughts flow!
- A giant's main weapon. Pillars are usually around 9 feet long and weight about 100 pounds. Karok says that giants make their own pillars.
- Giants call everyone 'fellow.' Doesn't matter if they're male, female, blood-related, a friend, or an enemy. If they're a person, they're a 'fellow.'
- Precious metal used as currency. Anything of value can be used as money, of course. Unfortunately, good deeds and lofty values cannot be exchanged. It is a sad fact that one cannot create a world where everyone does good to become rich.
- Generally refers to a plant that has a trunk and branches. It is also what makes up a forest. People often say to see the forest for the trees as a way of telling others to broaden their perspective. However, there are times when people must focus on one tree over the forest.
- Reference to living space, land, or region. It is difficult by nature for people to share their habitat. One may say this is my there is no end to wars.
- Pressuring or coercing somebody through force or circumstance.
Automatically obtained while talking to Kai:
- A man who seems always on his guard. His keen gaze seems to observe everything. The lines on his face reveal that he's been through a lot.
- Sometimes, words aren't needed to convey one's thoughts. There are those who reveal their emotions with little expression and even fewer words.
- One of Kai's possessions. There seems to be a story behind it...
- A side effect of the type of tasks mercs may be asked to perform. It does make the Mercenary Lounge a lively place in the wee hours, though.
- A type of mercenary. A sellsword can be discreet and perform dark deeds... if the price is right.
- What people call newbies to an organization. Certain individuals overuse the word...
- Kai said he lives life only for himself, but maybe he has more to say about that.
- Kai's lover. She passed away long ago in a tragic turn of fate. Kai still cherishes her deep inside his heart.
Automatically obtained while talking to Vella:
- A group of folks who hunt for hidden treasure. They often get the itch for a fight, and since the treasure doesn't fight back, they fight each other.
- A Coffer Chaser who refuses to be defined by anyone other than herself. She's as unpredictable as the dance of her blades.
CONTINUED IN POST BELOW