[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Delia Should Get This

ReziRezi
Vindictus Rep: 2,585
edited January 21, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I know, I know, they've probably already designed her second weapon, and I already said I wanted her to use chakram(s)/hoop(s), but I just got this awesome idea...and I just had to share it with my sleep-deprived insanity controlling me right now.

A zanpakuto. Or whatever DevCat's name would be for a spirit katana. No, not like in Bleach, but more like a Samurai character class type weapon. I feel this idea would work great for her, using the following gameplay:

Whether standing still, moving, or dodging, so long as she is not attacking, she rests her hand on her sheath. Like in Samurai fiction, slicing an opponent from her sheath gives her extra damage - but this is because, while she rests her hand on her sheath, she gets Soul Charges over time. A normal attack requires one charge and a smash attack requires a certain number based on which smash it is. She can also press and hold zero smash to generate Soul Charges faster, and if she holds a combo smash she'll start doing that bonus charge once her hand rests back on her sheathed sword's handle.

However, each of her attacks deals high damage. Rather than being a Speed character, she's more of a Strength character like this. Since the weapon's animations are almost instant and can be canceled very easily, speed won't be needed to counter animation time. She still benefits from attack speed due to fast attacks, but she's better the more attack power she has, and attack limit removal is one of many bonuses she's given through the next feature.

Every time she kills an enemy, she gains a Soul Count. This is because she's literally harvesting her enemy's souls. This count never decreases, not during nor outside of combat, and keeps stacking the entire Battle. As the Soul Count grows, its levels start granting bonuses. The more souls she collects, the better the benefits, from buffs to using her special attacks, which include things such as a dash that functions as spirit wings for speed while hovering (making it easier to hit flying enemies and hit high points on tall enemies), teleporting once hit like a ninja clone thing (though the clone becomes vapor instead of a log), and even an explosion-on-death ability (as in, she damages the enemy in a radius when she dies); but these require high Soul Counts, not to mention high SP, so they have to be used wisely with great split-second precision.

Her last ability, and the one that makes her viable in boss battles rather than just in mob waves, is Soul Swap. This 1:1 swaps her Soul Charge and Soul Count numbers. Since there's no limit to the number of charges and counts she can gain, this allows her to quickly gain the ability to do combos after killing many weak mobs while also charge while dodging in a boss battle until she can get enough counts up to unleash her specials and buffs.

Oh, and while she can't block, her slashes penetrate the enemy's defense, so it's useless for enemies to block. This means her enemies have to dodge her attacks if they don't want to get damaged by them.

Since she's already a charging and buffing character, I figured this would feel right on her. Plus, it gives something to players who have mastered pacing, like how spellsword is for those who have mastered the game's mechanics.

Comments

• PuppymanPuppyman
    Vindictus Rep: 3,055
    too many swords
  • MisterWhiskersMisterWhiskers
    Vindictus Rep: 2,615
    edited December 28, 2017
    pls keep anime trash away from this game

we're already heading in that direction and its not good
  • PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    We already have two samurai-ish chars in Vella and Lann. Delia's current style and being all dainty really doesn't fit with that at all, either. I'm going to have to say nu.
  • Sir_RenderSir_Render
    Vindictus Rep: 1,720
    I remember seeing a character that used a Long katana in testing (the model they used was dark knight but it appeared to be a male )
    but it was YEARS ago and that character hasn't come out yet
    i can't even find the video anymore because it was in korean when i first found it
  • ReziRezi
    This is nothing like anime. No one has done this gameplay before. Please read before posting.

Lann and Vella are dual bladers. Samurai are 2-handed sword (katana) wielders. They are nothing alike.
  • DrachusDrachus
    Vindictus Rep: 1,880
    Not saying that this is a good or a bad idea but... I think they should stop with the new classes/weapons.

• Arisha - Spellsword (and soon whip)
    • Delia - Bastardsword
    • Evie - Scythe and Staff
    • Fiona - Hammer and Longsword
    • Hurk - Greatsword and Teide
    • Kai - Crossgun and Bow
    • Karok - Pillar and Cestus
    • Lann - Twinswords and Twinspears
    • Lynn - Glaive (and soon blute)
    • Miri - Dragonspine
    • Sylas - Dagger
    • Vella - Twinswords and Chainblades

That's 19 weapons (+2 that are gonna arrive soon) and since those 19 weapons are quite unique you can look at them as a class of their own. I think it's WAY MORE than enough for someone to decide which class to they want to play. Instead of focusing on creating new classes/additional weapons they should bring more content to the game. We've been having pretty much the same type of content since season 2 (with the exceptions of Neamhain which is probably something I've enjoyed the most in Vindictus). A couple of mobs with a somewhat "strong" boss in the end and a raid boss (Learn his pre-animations/Mechanics and you're good to go). I won't go too off-topic with this but I guess you can see where I'm going with this.
    ArishantePhoebeHalliwelCaelestineOrder5CuraiHotaruKiyoujiPanda
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,545
    edited December 29, 2017
    Doesn't fit her character, plus Arisha already has a magic katana style weapon.

Delia will probably get a weapon to match her regal background like a lance, but the weapon you described sounds like something Sylas might get, though I don't really want another sword either.
    KiyoujiPanda
  • AnnazAnnaz
    Vindictus Rep: 1,320
    That would not fit her character at all.
  • ReziRezi
    edited December 29, 2017
    Bowtacojr wrote: »
    Doesn't fit her character, plus Arisha already has a magic katana style weapon.

Except that she uses it like a one handed sword, instead of a 1.5-2 handed sword like katanas are supposed to be used. It's also not curved enough to be a katana.

Annaz wrote: »
    That would not fit her character at all.

How would it not? It's better than her using a lance, which is absolutely ridiculous.

All of you people are talking about how it doesn't fit her, but it does - it 1:1 fits her gameplay. Her gameplay is nothing but charging and buffing herself to increase damage. Besides blocks which are useless at endgame, there is literally nothing else that defines her. The gameplay I described is charging and buffing, the same gameplay she already uses, but block is replaced by penetration.
  • misakamisakamisakamisaka
    Vindictus Rep: 1,685
    You're saying that charging and buffing is delia's playstyle yet, some characters have different playstyles with different weapons. For example chain and sword vella, or tiede and greatsword hurk, or staff and scythe evie, or spear and sword lann or.. yeah you get the point. Just because the first weapon is a charge and buff sort doesn't mean delia's second weapon has to be in the same area.
    KiyoujiPanda
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Rezi wrote: »
    Except that she uses it like a one handed sword, instead of a 1.5-2 handed sword like katanas are supposed to be used. It's also not curved enough to be a katana.

She 2hands it during ruin blade :P, but tbh, just because she uses it one hand doesn't stop it from being based on a katana.

A bunch of her Spellsowrds are shaped like katanas (Apex, Equilibrium, the toy, the wooden one), so it's pretty clear that Arisha's weapon was made to resemble a katana.

KiyoujiPanda
  • ArishanteArishante
    Vindictus Rep: 1,280
    How is a lance absolutely ridiculous for a knight like Delia? You know what a knight is skilled in? that's right, horseback fighting. And what's one weapon you efficiently use on horses or against mounted enemies? that's right, a freaking lance.
  • ElyrElyr
    Vindictus Rep: 2,430
    I got a better idea. Give her 2, actually make it 3, Bastard Swords, all at the same time
  • dazedgumballdazedgumball
    Vindictus Rep: 7,725
    The important question you should be asking is when Kiva is gonna arrive.
    20140408022031a0dr68i6zibag15l.jpg
  • KenshinXKenshinX
    Vindictus Rep: 1,870
    Kiva look like he bout to stop time

And hey that's fine and all but let's not forget about our boy Sylas okay?? He deserves a sword of some kind but with the mobility that he currently has with daggers. Give him Hurk's transcendent skill too cause smh to manage stamina on another weapon
  • ReziRezi
    edited December 30, 2017
    Arishante wrote: »
    How is a lance absolutely ridiculous for a knight like Delia? You know what a knight is skilled in? that's right, horseback fighting. And what's one weapon you efficiently use on horses or against mounted enemies? that's right, a freaking lance.

The only times knights used lances on horseback were in jousting and when using jousting-like lances only as heavy cavalry, which was extremely rare; most nations used light cavalry, which were normal soldiers, not knights, since knights were defined by the fact that only they could afford plate mail, which was insanely expensive and not worth supplying one's entire mounted forces with (especially for heavy cavalry, since the horses were plated, too). In fact, most knights never mastered jousting, as it was deemed a specialized skill. Rather, knights learned how to fight with swords, shields, and bows, and were normally used only for special missions and tactics.

Knights also never used spears; typically light or medium infantry used spears. Knights didn't need the distance of spears because their armor helped protect them from both stabs and slashes; in fact, chainmail already defended so well against stabs and slashes that spears and non-jousting-type (aka non-cavalry-type) lances (such as halberds) were rarely seen in war, and were instead used by guards and law enforcement against criminals (that couldn't afford or just didn't use metal armor). The only reason cavalry lances were used was because the weight of the lance combined with the speed of the horse made that lance both a stabbing and a crushing weapon, causing it to pierce metal armor due to high force of impact; but once the stampede stopped, cavalrymen were at risk because they had to take time to abandon their lance and take out their swords, while on horseback or after being forced to the ground.

Delia was not lance cavalry. She was a commander. Cavalry, when they used lances instead of swords, went in battle first to pummel through the enemy's front lines. Then non-lance cavalry, which typically included the commander, went in with swords and got in a few hits before they had to abandon their wounded horses and go straight into sword-fighting. In the rare cases that an army did use spears, it was often because they were naturally poor and ill-equipped, and spearmen went first with large shields to attempt to disable the opponent's cavalry - but this didn't last long during medieval times because it resulted in too many losses, and in such cases the better-equipped enemy would have known about that formation beforehand and sent in a small group of heavy cavalry first because that would have made the spears ineffective.
  • BowtacojrBowtacojr
    Rezi wrote: »
    [
    The only times knights used lances on horseback were in jousting and when using jousting-like lances only as heavy cavalry.

Tl;dr, A lance is a bad choice because it's unrealistic, because Delia doesn't ride a horse.

I'm pretty sure they don't care what kind of knight she is, just that she gets a weapon that a knight would use.

But until they announce it, who knows what we'll get, maybe it will be the crazy weeaboo spirit sword.
  • ReziRezi
    Samurai are the Japanese equivalent to Knights, so I think it's more that they just want a lance. Too many of them probably used it in Mabi and want DevCat to break their hands trying to implement that into Vindi's combat system.
  • PanzerDamePanzerDame
    Vindictus Rep: 980
    edited December 30, 2017
    In my mind, Delia should be fit for rapier as second weapon, not lance.

Rapier is a piercing weapon that mostly used by nobility class. I assume everyone know from her backstory that she have royalty background, and so rapier should fit her character well. On the performance, rapier will be significant different play style than her B. Sword. With rapier, She will be able to strike faster, dodge more agile (perhaps can dodge twice), but lack of blocking and firepower.

As for lance, I don't think this will be good choice, because this will difficult to difference her B.Sword play style. Lance is much larger, bulky than B. Sword, so her attack will be way much slower, and her dodge will be less agile.

So, what do everybody thinks if she have rapier as second weapon?
    KiyoujiPanda
  • ReziRezi
    edited December 31, 2017
    We already have rapiers in the game in the form of Lann spears and Blute. Lann spears handle the fast piercing aspect while Blute uses fencing movements and techniques.

On that note, a rapier would have been fine as the sword of Teide, since that would have been more of a Musketeer thing, which would have fit Delia far better than a lance, not to mention that Teide was originally supposed to be put on a female character. But they went with Hurk, so that's not an option anymore.

There's literally nothing a rapier would add to the game that does not already exist as other weapons. The ONLY thing you could add is parry, but the devs would have to design it as its own new mechanic - even the counterattacks already in the game are just normal smash attacks or special effect attacks; there's no actual parrying in the game, and the closest thing we had to it was Beta Lann's gameplay, but gameplay was intentionally slow-paced and delicate back then, with weapon length mattering more than attack speed at times (which I really, honestly miss).