[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Player Retention; Why do you keep playing?

Comments

• PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    edited December 19, 2017
    Combat, characters, and fashion. Nothing out currently can really match on any of those fronts.

That said, I'm very much awaiting the Bless relaunch, and Kingdom Under Fire 2 coming to NA/EU. If those turn out as well as they look to Vindi will become an afterthought again. Killing 8-man and dumbing down everything before S3 has taken a lot away. Only having one boss for 95 essences is also horrid. I've been grinding Dulla on one char for an essence and I'm utterly tired of him at this point. Making all of the old content worth next to nothing is just bad design. At least in BnS and GW2 the old areas still give valuable mats and the like. Season One is also the pinnacle of atmosphere and layout, not to mention boss design as a whole. Even the area bosses are nothing but cheese now. Anyone who doesn't cover half the zone with ridiculous size and melee reach covers it up with massive AoE, or worse still all of the above.

Vindi offers a lot that nothing else out does, but the devs and director have screwed it up so hard that I'm just waiting for something to get me to jump ship completely.

Things like this are yet another reason I don't want to invest another dollar in any Nexon title: http://forums.vindictus.nexon.net/discussion/12775/really-nexon-fix-the-broken-autoban-system

This company does not give af about its customers, and I'd be daft to be concerned about helping their longevity.
    Sir_Render
  • RealityBreakRealityBreak
    Vindictus Rep: 620
    I've been playing on and off throughout the years ever since this game was released... Last time I played was in 2015, just came back a few weeks ago (not even for Miri) .

I just enjoy challenging myself and having fun in fast-paced combat. I play other similar fighting games like For Honor as well. Vindictus is a casual fighter that I can come back to and have fun fights / grind if I feel like it. I also enjoy character progression, but I won't bother with BS above +10 enhancement unless I have runes that are freely given out.

I don't have any friends that play this game and I haven't spent any cash on it in years (even then, it was only for perm inner armor / hair or perm storage chests).
  • MadcobraMadcobra
    Vindictus Rep: 5,230
    Because im addicted ...
    XXlockdownXXLeucosieYoppiSir_RenderBabyDaniOrder5EnigmaTaro
  • YoppiYoppi
    Vindictus Rep: 750
    Puppyman wrote: »
    Blutte

Thanks. Blutte.

I got 블뤼테 from the trailers, which turned up Bluté in Google Translate, which most likely corresponds with Blüte. Which I have never heard before, especially to describe an umbrella/parasol thingy, but it does fit with Lynn's blossom theme.
    Combat, characters, and fashion. Nothing out currently can really match on any of those fronts.

That said, I'm very much awaiting the Bless relaunch, and Kingdom Under Fire 2 coming to NA/EU. If those turn out as well as they look to Vindi will become an afterthought again. Killing 8-man and dumbing down everything before S3 has taken a lot away. Only having one boss for 95 essences is also horrid. I've been grinding Dulla on one char for an essence and I'm utterly tired of him at this point. Making all of the old content worth next to nothing is just bad design. At least in BnS and GW2 the old areas still give valuable mats and the like. Season One is also the pinnacle of atmosphere and layout, not to mention boss design as a whole. Even the area bosses are nothing but cheese now. Anyone who doesn't cover half the zone with ridiculous size and melee reach covers it up with massive AoE, or worse still all of the above.

Vindi offers a lot that nothing else out does, but the devs and director have screwed it up so hard that I'm just waiting for something to get me to jump ship completely.

Vindi always seems to follow this pattern of making the endgame content (as in, the battles for the best gear at a given point in time) almost intolerably grindy with extremely low drop rates while dumbing down all the previous content. The devs really do not seem to have the ability to find an acceptable balance for the game as a whole - the time and effort spent progressing in the game now teeters disproportionately towards the latest battles. Additionally, I'm very sure that the thing that kept players from staying was the unforgiving enchantment/enhancement processes, not the battles. They fix some, then break some.

Combine that with the super slow schedule, and you get players bored out of their minds from running the latest battles over and over with abysmal drop rates while waiting for the next "big" update. At this point, I would be pressed to believe that most of Vindi's issues with player retention comes from the bad balancing decisions and the sluggish updates between KR and NA.

I want to stick around for Lynn's second weapon. Beyond that, I suppose I would have to be miraculously geared and content with whatever else the devs release to not quit...again. Maybe for good, who knows.
  • DokkunDokkun
    Vindictus Rep: 1,500
    For me its because i already spent x amount of money on the game i dont want to just leave it lol. But the games combat itself is just more enjoyable to play than anything out there atm for me
  • PuppymanPuppyman
    Vindictus Rep: 3,055
    Yoppi wrote: »
    Puppyman wrote: »
    Blutte

Thanks. Blutte.

I got 블뤼테 from the trailers, which turned up Bluté in Google Translate, which most likely corresponds with Blüte. Which I have never heard before, especially to describe an umbrella/parasol thingy, but it does fit with Lynn's blossom theme.
    [

As to why they chose Blütte to for the name I don't know. Though it reads more as Bool-reu-teh straight from KR.
    Which is why I'd joke with my friends that I can't wait till bluetooth comes out :eyes:

I do know it was meant to be German, so the flowery-ness does fit in especially when you look at the skill effects and what not.

I personally call/write it as Blütte, since that was the first written non-korean version I saw of it, so it kind of stuck.
  • BeepBeepImAJeepBeepBeepImAJeep
    Vindictus Rep: 1,150
    edited December 19, 2017
    I still play for Friends mostly.
    The only piece of advance i can give after playing almost 4 years, is to make more challenging endgame content like Neamhain.
    People didn't come back for Rise, they came back for Redeemers Battles.
  • RavelationsRavelations
    Vindictus Rep: 1,255
    Both nostalgia and friends, But mostly the combat system, i haven't found a MMORPG that can match or beat it,

I'm not really an active player either though, i'll get on with my three friends to use vip and run through the raids, or level up the new characters, or try the new weapons, go through the content updates, all that jazz, but anything else even a worth while event odds are i wont even bother looking at the main webpage, only reason i'm ever on the forums is either so i can ask questions about events that pique my interest, or so i can see if they've fixed any of the problems that are the main cause for players leaving, or new ones not joining, Also to stay up to date on any upcoming content
    Sir_Render
  • BabyDaniBabyDani
    Vindictus Rep: 1,735

^^^ this.. pretty much sums it up :)

or to put it more simply: vindi is fun!
    Sir_Render
  • DeraeghylDeraeghyl
    Vindictus Rep: 420
    edited December 19, 2017
    Fashion, combat, events & event titles. Combat feels like I'm actually controlling the character, unlike other online games I've tried.
    Sir_RenderBabyDani
  • DixitDixit
    Vindictus Rep: 1,435
    Nostalgia, fashion and closing of the game.
  • XieXie
    Vindictus Rep: 2,115
    edited December 20, 2017
    I already jumped ship ... but I still miss Vindi :(

The raids and combat in Vindi were the reason why I kept playing for four years. Compared to other MMOs, the raids in Vindi felt challenging, yet also rewarding because of its combat. At the same time, it felt fun playing and trying to figure out raids with everyone. But at some point, every thing became a dps race. It got extremely annoying because mechanics would get ignored and stuff till eventually, I stopped raiding with people and started soloing raids. I miss the old days when people used to just play for fun like run an entire raid train naked like my guild used to do. But I guess time changes and I'll just have to accept it.

To be honest, I would've stuck around if Nexon released new raids or dungeons more regularly even if it's just side content. I don't care much about new characters. Maybe, it's just me, but I'd rather explore a new dungeon or figure out how to kill a new boss. I was sad when you guys teased Arcana and Aes Sidhe only to find out they're not Redeemer raids. Dullahan sucked but Neamhain alone had kept me around for half a year!

Besides raids, the other thing that kept me playing was Lann. Out of all of the male characters in other MMOs that I've seen so far, I think Lann has the best abs. No abs in other MMOs have the same level of detail. The male abs in BDO might have a run for Lann's money but the male customization in that game sucked so Lann's abs takes the win as the best male abs in MMOs.
    (I wish that there were more male hair options and cooler male armor...)

PS: I'm sorry, Lann, I wish that I'm not cheating on you with Miqo'te's abs but I haven't seen a new Vindi raid in ages! D:
    Sir_RenderSaintGuinnessPrototypemindYoppi
  • SaintGuinnessSaintGuinness
    Vindictus Rep: 1,730
    I guess I play out of nostalgia for the past. Back when raids were about teamwork, not dps. I have to agree that Combat, Character and Fashion are the reasons I play. The old raids use to be fun. Tactics and timing really did matter but the thing that has really disappeared is teamwork. They have nerfed S1 and S2 so much that you no longer need a team to get through it. Now you can solo all the way to s3. I have to admit, it's not as satisfying. I miss the challenge and the camaraderie.

I guess I still play because I love the game mechanics and I still (and probably foolishly) hold on to hope that the game will someday return to its roots and be fun again.
    XieSir_Render
  • PixelPantsuPixelPantsu
    Vindictus Rep: 1,960
    I don't know, I've been here 7 years now.
    Its pretty much routine to me
  • WilkoWilko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,750
    Sunk cost fallacy for me. Started during open beta and all my friends gave up years ago.
  • PlayerOOOlPlayerOOOl
    Vindictus Rep: 1,270
    I am addicted to Vindi gameplay.

Played a lot of other games, and actually Continent 9th is the only one does better combat system.
    But C9 sucks too much in all other things.

As a casual player who hates grinding, I only came back when there is a new class release.
    Because I enjoy free stuff for returned players and I am addicted to leveling all my characters to max level.

• RhapsodyOfFireRhapsodyOfFire
    Vindictus Rep: 5,375
    edited December 20, 2017
    Yoppi wrote: »
    seeing my deserted friends list and remembering the old guildmates I once greeted everyday is a bit demoralizing.

Same here. I had an average of 10 people online on my friend list at nights after 11 pm before Rise, and after Rise i've barely seen 4 people online, and even 3 of them were afk. When i checked the last login times of the people i often saw logging in they were all 60, 90 days and more.
    I guess I play out of nostalgia for the past. Back when raids were about teamwork, not dps. I have to agree that Combat, Character and Fashion are the reasons I play. The old raids use to be fun. Tactics and timing really did matter but the thing that has really disappeared is teamwork. They have nerfed S1 and S2 so much that you no longer need a team to get through it. Now you can solo all the way to s3. I have to admit, it's not as satisfying. I miss the challenge and the camaraderie.

I guess I still play because I love the game mechanics and I still (and probably foolishly) hold on to hope that the game will someday return to its roots and be fun again.

This game's mechanics are reduced to a simple thing that every action game has, the timed pressing of a few buttons. And the word action here doesn't only mean combat action. I don't know how it is different from other action games out there that require the same things, for example Just Dance (however that is tiring physically too).

But i agree that it needed more diverse activities back then where everyone could do their preferred things. That's why it was the most fun back then.
  • Vintage_WineVintage_Wine
    Vindictus Rep: 850
    I keep hoping old friends will come back. Well, one did, but he's changed and for the worse. So...I guess I'm here for the fashion mainly and because I haven't found another MMORPG that plays as well as Vindi does IMO (or just that I got so used to Vindi's controls that nothing else will do now). I really appreciate the player run events, those are fun.
  • AibouAibou
    Vindictus Rep: 835
    edited December 21, 2017
    Where's the "I created partner characters with my boyfriend at the very beginning of our relationship 2 years ago and now can't quit cuz they became part of our love" - button? :*
    RavelationsSir_Render
  • RevenexRevenex
    Vindictus Rep: 315
    edited December 21, 2017
    I keep coming back to Vindictus because it has what Black Desert Online doesn't have.

1. Group Content.
    2. Bosses with real mechanics.
    3. Badass Costumes
    RavelationsSir_Render