[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Kai Revamp V2 Idea

MisterGrinchMisterGrinch
Vindictus Rep: 900
edited July 4, 2017 in Kai
Prior to the Bow and Blade update I made a similar thread with new skills I devised for Kai to improve his game play. This is the same thing for the current Kai.

TL;DR

- New skill, dodge after active skills to cancel animation and leap a small distance. (Picture Deadly Arrow animation)
-New skill, Hunter's Eye, Headshots and Criticals stack Evasive buff. Each stack let's you leap a short distance when shooting Fixed Shot or normals.
- Update Strafe Shot; Press a direction while attacking to leap in that direction. Successful attacks refresh buff. (Picture Hagie 3rd smash)
-Rapid Fire > Volley; hold to charge a Volley, release to fire Volley and flip/evade in a direction.
-Updated Chain Link, Entangles bosses in heavy chain/net. Stronger bosses break free faster.
- Eagle Eye Assault, quicker targetting or less SP/SP regain.
-QoL (Quality of Life) Changes

For those who wanna read something even longer than that tl;dr...

All of the Vindictus mercenaries are supposed to excel in their area of expertise. Yet Kai plays like an plain old archer who has a couple of heavy hits, feet on the ground and running for his life when enemies get close. It shouldn't be just the kind of shots he fires but how he fires those shots. I use Prey Drive and Deadly Arrow as examples because they embody what a masterful and vengeful archer would do. Rushing in to point blank range to deliver a deadly blow is not something of your typical marksman. Nor is the acrobatic flourish of Deadly Arrow. Vaulting off of his opponent while launching volleys from mid air, upside down and behind his back are all things that Kai would do to show his mastery of his bow and determination to win.

Two major problems when playing Kai are soloing mobile enemies and fighting powerful crowds. It becomes tedious to spam arrows one enemy at a time waiting for your Arrow Storm and Ricochet shot to be ready.
CROWD FIGHTING:

NEW Strafe Shot: Press Left, Right or Back to jump in that direction while firing your arrows. Strafe shot will still stack the Deft buff but it will function a bit differently.

NEW Deft: Strafe shot will add stacks of deft. Level's 1-2 provide additional attack speed and level 3 allows you to fire three arrows instead of one, similar to PVP. The goal here is to be able to maneuver through crowds while striking multiple foes instead of the usual back peddling until everyone's dead. To add a bit of depth, the buff would refresh when all 3 arrows hit a target.

NEW Rapid Fire > Volley: Charging a normal attack will now fire a volley while also flipping backward. (Picture Deadly Arrow's mid air attack) Higher skill rank = more arrows. Now costs some SP.

SOLO FIGHTING:
Vindictus is a game of challenges, which is what makes it such a treat to play. However, can we really argue that boss design is balanced when 3/4 of it's mercenaries have some way to be a mile away or negate damage completely? Yes, I'm looking at two Vella and Fiona.

NEW Matador: Press dodge directly after an active skill to cancel the animation and leap out of the way. (Picture the back step after you shoot Deadly Arrow)

Dodge Grapple is a great skill when executed under the right circumstances. However, when it leaves you inside an attack, or stuck in the way of a multi hit (not to mention trapped in a corner) it's not exactly your friend. So here I propose the Evasion skill.

NEW Evasion: Hitting Head Shots, Hunter's Eye and critical hits will grant stacks of the Evasive buff. Each stack allows the next normal or Fixed Shot to be an evasive one. The stacks will continue to grow up to a max of 10. Evasive attacks are the same as Matador attacks in that that shorten the firing animation to prevent standing still for too long. They also add quality of life as the player has incentive to aim for high priority targets other than for extra damage.

Chain Link Instead of putting the boss on a leash, Chain Link should fire a projectile at a boss and momentarily distract them. ( Picture a net stuck to their face). That way it could still have some use on higher level bosses as well as making it safe for team mates. When the boss can't move but can still attack I've seen it throw off melee mercs as the attacks don't land where they are anticipated to. The stronger bosses would need less time to break free eg: Crimson Rage is entangled for six seconds, Lugh Lamfada is only entangled for two.

Eagle Eye Assault: While the skill is fantastic for laying into smaller bosses like Iset or Succubus, the risk simply doesn't meet the reward. A player has to stand still, drag their cursor and align seven cross hairs before dealing their maximum possible damage. On top of this the skill is can be interrupted and costs the same whether you shoot 1 shot or 7. There is no SP gained on successful hits and at a price of 500 SP it makes more sense aim a magnum at the head or use an arrow storm to regain the SP spent. I suggest either decreasing the cost of the skill entirely, or making its cost scale with the number of shots fired. eg: 71.4 SP per shot, max 500 SP for all 7 shots.

My second suggestion for EEA is somehow make it easier to lock on. Like maybe two shots at a time instead of one to save time.

QUALITY OF LIFE:

Lastly here are a few changes proposed just to clean up Kai a bit as a character.

Arrow Storm seems kind of lackluster as the player pulls a random cage full of arrows and makes it explode. Thematically it has no value. I suggest a new animation where Kai leaps upward and makes death rain from above. The quick activation of this skill would cost half the SP, do less damage and execute more quickly. eg: Player doesn't jump as high, skill appears less powerful.

Hunter's Eye attacks showing yellow damage values OR some sort of animation on successful hits so the player knows for sure when they hit a mark and when it fades away.

A target indicator that isn't the same as with secondary weapons just to make it feel more unique. Maybe a color like yellow blue?

Bow Mode switching between targeted and AoE attacks instead of transforming the whole bow. In other words tapping tab would toggle between the red target indicator of long bow and the auto aim of short bow. That would mean players could fight mobs or bosses while always holding a longbow. This is not a very important change but I have heard a few people express distaste at the many short bow forms in the game.

With that, this thread concludes. To anyone who read through to the end feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on my suggestions.

Last but not least Cross Gun needs to be buried in the deepest pits of hell and replaced with dual pistols. :)

MrChandlerBing

Comments

• xCyclonusxCyclonus
    Vindictus Rep: 895
    Bow Kai*
  • Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    edited July 16, 2017
    I would agree with most of these points but something needs to be said for Crossgun kai, as another point for Bow I would like to see an buff when you pull off a headshot hit you get an 3 second buff to hit another headshot if you do within that time, maybe for 10-15 seconds stam regen? Or some kind of buff
  • xCyclonusxCyclonus
    Vindictus Rep: 895
    edited July 16, 2017
    Is kai some kind of chains Vella to ever need stamina? Or you meant SP..SP was it no? :s
  • Arrow95Arrow95
    Vindictus Rep: 2,515
    For Bow Kai you will be low on stam 24/7 if not then your using bow kai wrong, if you are fighting a raid boss