[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

Vindictus Pumpkin Carving Contest [ Winners]

Comments

• GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 3,540
    Calli
    Calli said:

I am just disappointed in how they handle the criteria, why have one if you aren't going to force it. One of the winners just doesn't cut it, lack of creativity and artistic skill and I'm sure everyone can notice how bland and boring theirs is compared to the other winners..

Harsh to say, but it's the hard truth.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess.
    Well if I may be harsh, your pumpkin wasn't so great that you have any grounds to be rude to any of the other participants. There's a lot in your own work to take stock of before you lash out at others.
    MrSith
    MrSith said:

How is there a winner's list if the contest is still ongoing...

EDIT:

image submitted an entry exactly 1 minute before the official deadline...can we at least get judged? I thought our idea was really cool even if we're not as technically skilled as some of the winners :(
    If I may judge your entry it's pretty awesome imo man. I think it's cool that you also hit upon the idea to make a Braha-Lantern and I like that you depicted both sides/aspects of Braha. The different colored lights were a really nice touch and they look pretty cool.
    PhieraSpiderDokkunArellaRothAkimbojoetestll9902
  • KiwaKiwa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,280
    edited November 2, 2016
    GhengisJohn

Calli
    Calli said:

I am just disappointed in how they handle the criteria, why have one if you aren't going to force it. One of the winners just doesn't cut it, lack of creativity and artistic skill and I'm sure everyone can notice how bland and boring theirs is compared to the other winners..

Harsh to say, but it's the hard truth.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess.
    Well if I may be harsh, your pumpkin wasn't so great that you have any grounds to be rude to any of the other participants. There's a lot in your own work to take stock of before you lash out at others.

Okay that is your opinion, and here I am stating mine. Sure it could have been worded better to not have been so harsh, and "rude" in your terms. Like I said why have a criteria? If you aren't going to commit to it fully. Just boggles my mind, I'm not saying MINE should have won, Spider did a great one, and so did some others that were a lot better in terms of execution.
    • Creativity and originality – 40%
    • Use of Vindictus Theme – 30%
    • Technical and artistic skill/execution – 30%

I am just disappointed in how the criteria was handled that is all I have to say about this.
    SpiderPhieratestll9902
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Calli
    Calli said:

Okay that is your opinion, and here I am stating mine. Sure it could have been worded better to not have been so harsh, and "rude" in your terms. How would you feel if you didn't win and lost to some other entry that was lacking 70% of the criteria, you would be upset and don't lie to yourself( I remember a post you made in another contest thread complaining how the Haiku/Limerick contest should have been judged on how creative and unqiue the entry were and not random) So please don't act all righteous.. Why have a criteria? If you aren't going to commit to it fully. Just boggles my mind, I'm not saying MINE should have won, Spider did a great one, and so did some others that were a lot better in terms of execution.
    • Creativity and originality – 40%
    • Use of Vindictus Theme – 30%
    • Technical and artistic skill/execution – 30%

I am just disappointed in how the criteria was handled that is all.
    You can't control how other people will act, but you can control how you react to them. If I had lost I would be upset. I might even get depressed. That doesn't mean I would trash anyone else. And being upset is no justification for tearing other people down. When I asked that the haikus and limericks be judged, Order5 reminded me of something important, and that is that judgment is subjective. If you recall/look up that thread you'll see I knew right away he was right about it. Now I don't see any entries that ignored "70%" of the criteria. I don't see any entries that I thought weren't at least creative. I liked everyone's efforts frankly. I'm sorry you're disappointed man and I know how much that sucks. But clearly whoever judged the contest just saw things differently than you did.
    testll9902
  • SweetieFaySweetieFay
    Vindictus Rep: 425
    Calli
    Calli said:

All that hard work..... And nothing to really show for it.
    Quite depressing, thanks Nexon.

So much for that judging criteria.
    Your picture looks pretty bad. There is no mouth. What happened to her other boob? Hair was done quickly. The horns was scratched off once. There is no texture. There is always a sore looser in a contest. Don't be "that guy". Accept the defeat, and move on. I have said the parts that could have caused you not to win. Take the criticism, and move on.

Also spider looked like a shoe. Only when he said it was Lakoria did it look something like it.
    ArellaRothtestll9902
  • PlankingLuigiPlankingLuigi
    Vindictus Rep: 715
    SweetieFay

Calli
    Calli said:

Your picture looks pretty bad. There is no mouth. What happened to her other boob? Hair was done quickly. The horns was scratched off once. There is no texture. There is always a sore looser in a contest. Don't be "that guy". Accept the defeat, and move on. I have said the parts that could have caused you not to win. Take the criticism, and move on.

Also spider looked like a shoe. Only when he said it was Lakoria did it look something like it.
    I don't see you showing off any of your artistic attempt at making a pumpkin for this contest. Carving a pumpkin is difficult to do especially when it's a detailed picture such as Succubus Queen or Lakoria. For many, it was either their first time carving or they've only done it a few times prior. Of course it's not going to be 10/10 mind-blowing and perfect all the way. You have your opinion, but I must respectfully disagree with it. You don't know how the judges judged Calli's or Spider's pumpkins so don't assume you know that's what they lost on. I for one, think they did a terrific job and 99% of people who viewed them instantly knew what the pumpkin carving was.

Also, if you thought Spider's didn't look like Lakoria, I suggest you get your eyes checked because it CLEARLY looks like this.

KiwaSpiderPhieratestll9902
  • SweetieFaySweetieFay
    PlankingLuigi

SweetieFay

Calli
    Calli said:

I don't see you showing off any of your artistic attempt at making a pumpkin for this contest. Carving a pumpkin is difficult to do especially when it's a detailed picture such as Succubus Queen or Lakoria. For many, it was either their first time carving or they've only done it a few times prior. Of course it's not going to be 10/10 mind-blowing and perfect all the way. You have your opinion, but I must respectfully disagree with it. You don't know how the judges judged Calli's or Spider's pumpkins so don't assume you know that's what they lost on. I for one, think they did a terrific job and 99% of people who viewed them instantly knew what the pumpkin carving was.

Also, if you thought Spider's didn't look like Lakoria, I suggest you get your eyes checked because it CLEARLY looks like this.

"don't assume you know that's what they lost on" I will indicate with arrows because you couldn't read it the first time correctly. "I have said the parts that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> could <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< have caused you not to win." The definition of could is: "used to indicate possibility"

Where did you get the"99%" from? Anyways like I said before his looks like a shoe at first glance. It's cramped together.
    testll9902
    SweetieFay

PlankingLuigi

SweetieFay

Calli
    Calli said:

"don't assume you know that's what they lost on" I will indicate with arrows because you couldn't read it the first time correctly. "I have said the parts that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> could <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< have caused you not to win." The definition of could is: "used to indicate possibility"

Where did you get the"99%" from? Anyways like I said before his looks like a shoe at first glance. It's cramped together.</p>
    Look, I'm not here to argue with you. I just needed to point out that your "criticism" was not constructive especially when you didn't carve anything yourself. It was downright insulting to Calli and Spider.

By 99% I mean the people who viewed it either by this forum or stream or heck, anyone who has played the game long enough to know what these bosses were. Honestly these bosses have been around for so long, very few people should have a hard time recognizing them.
    ArellaRothtestll9902
  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,175
    I just feel like there are too many creative and beautifully executed pumpkins for anyone to feel the need to discredit anyones' entries. Everyone worked hard on it and I feel like many should also be acknowledged for their efforts. Hence, why I suggested honourable mentions. I'm just surprised that there were only 6 spots up for grabs considering how popular this contest was and how the Vindictus community was reacting to the posts(likes and pageviews).

But I do have to mention.. I took a look at the reference picture and actual entry for Lako and I'm just trying to understand your point of view, but how is Lako cramped on the pumpkin? @_@ Unless the developers made Lako just too "cramped" looking in general?
    If anything, the way I saw it, it was a very nice take style-wise on Lako because he is a hard boss to tackle when carving imo. It seemed he went for more of the hieroglyph/stained glass style creatively.

Side note: I like the pumpkin you and your wife made MrSith! I thought it was a very creative idea to use different coloured lights to display the different Brahas. I also liked the touch with the nails and antlers (at least i think that's what it's called).
    PlankingLuigiSpidertestll9902
  • SweetieFaySweetieFay
    PlankingLuigi

SweetieFay

PlankingLuigi

SweetieFay

Calli
    Calli said:

Where did you get the"99%" from? Anyways like I said before his looks like a shoe at first glance. It's cramped together.</p>
    Look, I'm not here to argue with you. I just needed to point out that your "criticism" was not constructive especially when you didn't carve anything yourself. It was downright insulting to Calli and Spider.

By 99% I mean the people who viewed it either by this forum or stream or heck, anyone who has played the game long enough to know what these bosses were. Honestly these bosses have been around for so long, very few people should have a hard time recognizing them.
    I am not arguing with you. I am was saying to not assume that I was assuming anyone. I did not. I was indicating a probability.

As critics of movies they in fact have not made any movies in their life, so that point is also irrelevant. If you were a critic then you wouldn't do so well. I was just criticizing their submissions, and if you don't like it that's fine. Just don't put up anecdotal information or put words in my mouth.
    testll9902
  • SpiderSpider
    Going back to the topic at hand, I am not looking for a win here. I am simply wanting judges/gm feedback on what THEY believe I could have done better, and in which criteria was lacking score.

As previously stated, the assumption was actually spot on. I attempted a hieroglyph style carving for Ancient Lakoria. I do not see why my pumpkin is being targeted here, but it is interesting that there were not more winners, when the winners themselves seem to believe there should have been more winners.

On a more positive note, I did not let my Lakoria pumpkin rot, in fact it is now a half eaten delicious pumpkin pie~
    BloodAngeltestll9902
    Spider
    Spider said:

Going back to the topic at hand, I am not looking for a win here. I am simply wanting judges/gm feedback on what THEY believe I could have done better, and in which criteria was lacking score.

As previously stated, the assumption was actually spot on. I attempted a hieroglyph style carving for Ancient Lakoria. I do not see why my pumpkin is being targeted here, but it is interesting that there were not more winners, when the winners themselves seem to believe there should have been more winners.

On a more positive note, I did not let my Lakoria pumpkin rot, in fact it is now a half eaten delicious pumpkin pie~
    It's being targeted because you turned it into a delicious pumpkin pie! Please share :D. Much appreciated. jkjk.

PhieraSpiderBloodAngeltestll9902
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    edited November 2, 2016
    Spider
    Spider said:

I was planning on cooking braha, sort of like cosmic justice. He eats me, I eat him, cycle of life. But then I lifted up the lid about 10 minutes ago and it's getting moldy already. Aw come on. Can you beleive that Blizzard contest pumpkins had to be carved by the 26th? No way those were making it 5 days to halloween. Just last night at around 2am I turned the light off in there and there was no mold. I'm kind of amazed really, lol.
    SpiderPhieratestll9902
  • DealerDealer
    Vindictus Rep: 2,815
    Alright I would like everyone to take a breather.
    I looked at the criteria and personally I would have probably picked the same pumpkins that won if I was going to strictly go by that, but as GhengisJohn said others might have a different opinion, but that doesn't matter since in the end its up to the judges.

As for the amount of winners there were only 15 entries (14 when the judging) so a little less than half were winners. I think that is enough plus now everyone is getting something.
    GhengisJohntestll9902
  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,175
    edited November 2, 2016
    Spider
    Spider said:

I actually attempted to cut my pumpkin up to make into a pie, but oh man. It was not easy. I quickly regretted the idea of making a pumpkin pie out of a fresh pumpkin. It seriously isn't easy to skin a pumpkin and then cut it into chunks. My arms were actually sore the next day. Kudos to you for making a delicious pie out of your pumpkin. I think I'm going to have to stick to canned pumpkin puree for a while.
    GhengisJohntestll9902
    GhengisJohn

Spider
    Spider said:

I was planning on cooking braha, sort of like cosmic justice. He eats me, I eat him, cycle of life. But then I lifted up the lid about 10 minutes ago and it's getting moldy already. Aw come on. Can you beleive that Blizzard contest pumpkins had to be carved by the 26th? No way those were making it 5 days to halloween. Just last night at around 2am I turned the light off in there and there was no mold. I'm kind of amazed really, lol.
    Yep same here... I didn't realize until after you checked yours that I went to go check mine. It was squishy and already rotting in the inside with juices leaking from the bottom. Yesterday it was fine but dang mold works fast! Definitely kind of sad to throw it out but at least we all have pictures of our pumpkins! xD
    GhengisJohntestll9902
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Vindictus Rep: 6,750
    Hi guys! As far as the Halloween Pouches go, you should see them in your inventory by the end of the day. Outfitters and NX will take a little longer. (Latest 11/7)

To address the past few pages of comments. The hardest part about throwing a contest is judging it. We have a panel of judges who come to an agreement on who becomes a finalist. We do this fully knowing that the decision will not please everyone. I trust in the decision we made and stand by the judging panel 100%.

/close thread
This discussion has been closed.