[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

*Update video in last post* RYZEN hosting test!

VernandiVernandi
Vindictus Rep: 1,165
edited July 30, 2017 in Tech Support
Hello everybody.
Once upon a time there were good times when the Vindictus worked perfectly on AMD FX. But the developers released "multi-processing" - a very cool feature. The problem in it was only one - one completely broke the performance of the game on AMD CPU. And recently there was a bright event - AMD released a new line of processors on the new architecture.
Can fans of the "red" processors (like me) return to their favorite platform, or should continue to use Intel, if play vindictus a lot? You can find out from the video what we did with my friend.

P.s. Sorry for bad English
arkaine757Weiss_Oswald

Comments

• hornywatermelonhornywatermelon
    Vindictus Rep: 3,985
    Putting aside how horribly unoptimized this game is Intel CPUs have always been superior to AMD products. It's just a fact which should be obvious to anyone. That, plus most games have been and are coded with Intel chipsets in mind since they're more prevalent on the market.

AMD still has a long way untill they outdo Intel.
  • VernandiVernandi
    edited April 2, 2017
    Intel CPUs have always been superior to AMD products.

Not always and not everywhere. In a single thread, AMD is losing Intel, but this is fully compensated for by multi-threaded performance. AMD offers a much more interesting option for the "price / performance" with Ryzen. Of course, if it's not a badly made single-threaded program.

But marketing and planning their actions, really leaves much to be desired.

• MetaMeta
    Vindictus Rep: 855
    Vernandi wrote: »
    Intel CPUs have always been superior to AMD products.

Not always and not everywhere. In a single thread, AMD is losing Intel, but this is fully compensated for by multi-threaded performance. AMD offers a much more interesting option for the "price / performance" with Ryzen. Of course, if it's not a badly made single-threaded program.

But marketing and planning their actions, really leaves much to be desired.

Too bad most games are mostly single threaded. That's why one of the reasons bulldozer isn't that great
  • jeddyhijeddyhi
    Vindictus Rep: 1,880
    I have a spool of golden thread. I wrapped around my PC many times and it still plays like a potato.
  • JynXiJynXi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,025
    Thanks! Really interesting comparison.
    Can you tell me the specific specs of the CPU's u did compare? (FX model/i5 model)
  • ZuzukZuzuk
    Vindictus Rep: 1,690
    edited April 2, 2017
    wow i really expected that ryzen >i5, i mean come one, its not even a i7 xd
    even more if yo uconsider that ryzen 1800x its 500 bucks or something
  • elcausaelcausa
    Vindictus Rep: 1,240
    Putting aside how horribly unoptimized this game is Intel CPUs have always been superior to AMD products. It's just a fact which should be obvious to anyone. That, plus most games have been and are coded with Intel chipsets in mind since they're more prevalent on the market.

AMD still has a long way untill they outdo Intel.

Have to argue on that always claim, while intel is superior now, back in the athlon 64 and x2 days they kicked the pentium 4 ass
    PrototypemindCallisthene
  • VernandiVernandi
    Meta wrote: »
    Too bad most games are mostly single threaded. That's why one of the reasons bulldozer isn't that great

Most old games Yup, but last 3 year almost all game use 4 threads, games from 2016 year already more favored 8 thread CPU. Bulldozer was bad on release, but now give better perfomance in new titles, than intel analogs in bulldozer generation.
    jeddyhi wrote: »
    I have a spool of golden thread. I wrapped around my PC many times and it still plays like a potato.

For vindi you didnt need mega PC, but 100% 60 fps you cant get anyway too, on any PC.
    For 1080p Vindi with 50-60 fps on almost max setting you need:
    i3 (hasswell and more modern)
    760gtx\960gtx\1050ti\r9 280\r9 370\rx460 lvl GPU
    8 gb RAM in dual channel
    any SSD
    JynXi wrote: »
    Thanks! Really interesting comparison.
    Can you tell me the specific specs of the CPU's u did compare? (FX model/i5 model)

First seconds in video with stats CPU.
    1)AMD FX-8320(K15 - Piledriver, Vishera)
    Overclocked: 4400 MHz 1,33V, 2200 NB(Stock)
    MB:ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
    RAM: 2х4 GB 1600 MHz 9-9-8-23-1T @1,65V

2) AMD Ryzen 7 1800x (3,6-4,0) (K17 - Zen) - stock
    MB: ASUS Prime x370
    RAM: 2х16 Gb DDR4-19200 (2400 mhz) @15-15-15-35-57-2T 1.2V

3) Intel I5 4690k (Hasswell refresh)
    Overclocked: 4500MHz 1.24V
    MB: MSI z97 gaming 5
    RAM: 4x4 GB DDR3 2400mhz 10-10-11-27-2T 1.65v

All builds use same version windows 10, game and system on SSD.
    FX and Ryzen build GPU - AMD rx 480 (stock)
    Intel build GPU - AMD r9 Nano (unlocked BIOS = stock fury x)
  • VernandiVernandi
    Zuzuk wrote: »
    wow i really expected that ryzen >i5, i mean come one, its not even a i7 xd
    even more if yo uconsider that ryzen 1800x its 500 bucks or something
    1) Intel in overclock, ryzen build need get cooler first for overclock, with stock setting almost same
    2) For vindi i5=i7= Xeon. No difference,Frequency Only
    3) You didnt need 1800x, just my friend big fan AMD, 1700x cost 400bucks (+ motherboards cheaper than intel analogs), you get same
    4) For real testing with 1800x ryzen better use 6900k (real perfomance intel analog in positioning. And in test 1800x + 6900k ryzen have all chances be same intel. Because this intel 1k bucks CPU have only 3200mhz stock, and bad overclock potencial. ANd didnt forgot about prices on 2011v3 motherboards.
    5) If someone want Ryzen for games only better wait ryzen 5 series - cheaper than low-end I5, with almost same singlethread perfomance, but 8 threads (good for new titles)

• PrototypemindPrototypemind
    Vindictus Rep: 8,530
    There are still a lot of things limiting the Ryzen chips, but devs will be working with AMD going forward to get the most out of the architecture, as well as helping it to work well with newer boards. I'm looking forward to AMD stepping things back up. Competition is always a positive in the PC world and Intel has already hinted at taking queues from what they've done in terms of better utilizing the cores. Tis a grand age.
  • CloakshireCloakshire
    Vindictus Rep: 4,580
    edited April 2, 2017
    I find it odd that I play on an fx-8150 overclocked to 4.1 Ghz @ 1.3125V with an old 2Gb Radeon 6950 graphics card and I get performance better than your 8320. My performance numbers are just in between your 8320 and 1800X but lean slightly closer to the 1800x

Then again I am playing at a slightly lower resolution 1600x900.

However, I have been wanting to rebuild my system and I've been thinking about either going with an i 7700K or 1700X seeing as they're both similarly priced. Seeing that vindictus is one of the bigger games I play, I thank you very much for this video comparison.
  • VernandiVernandi
    Cloakshire wrote: »
    My performance numbers are just in between your 8320 and 1800X but lean slightly closer to the 1800x
    Settings? Most CPU depend setting in this test was on low (phisics and particle), but many "non compability" graphics effects in this game use CPU too. For example with FX not worth in all use " very high" shader setting, because you got big perfomance drop. + setting UI change many things in perfomance.
    This video not about "what you got with those hardware", is just compare 3x build on 100% same settings.

1700x very interesting choice for now and future, but if you many play vindi or work in adobe photoshop\lightroom - 7700k will more fast.
    P.s. Little tips: if you have good cooling on your current cpu and you will buy 1700x - try find motherboard with am3+ cooler compability (like asus crosshair). Ofc this motherboards more expensive, but you anyway spent difference in price on new cooler\aio\waterblock.
  • 탱크블레이드탱크블레이드
    Vindictus Rep: 5,590
    Ryzen did show AMD IS making an effort to definitely improve. But at the end of the day when it comes to Vindictus it's not AMD's fault Vindictus doesn't run good :P There are certain i7 CPU's that can no longer run Vindictus smoothly anymore actually. There are some peopel with i7 4790k that I know that can no longer run Vindictus as good as they used to. That's saying a lot too considering how good that CPU still is.
  • kls9kls9
    Vindictus Rep: 1,215
    edited April 2, 2017
    1) Intel in overclock, ryzen build need get cooler first for overclock, with stock setting almost same
    2) For vindi i5=i7= Xeon. No difference,Frequency Only
    These are good reasons to make an updated vid that also includes benchmarks for the 4690k at stock and the 1800x overclocked. ;)
    Feels like an incomplete comparison having benchmarks only with the 4690k at 4.5GHz and the 1800x at stock.
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    edited April 2, 2017
    kls9 wrote: »
    These are good reasons to make an updated vid that also includes benchmarks for the 4690k at stock and the 1800x overclocked. ;)
    Feels like an incomplete comparison having benchmarks only with the 4690k at 4.5GHz and the 1800x at stock.

There wont see much more to see. Intel at least for years has sold their CPUs such that there is a decent gain to get by overclocking. The 1800x might get a ~200 hz gain...
  • VernandiVernandi
    kls9 wrote: »
    My friend dont have good cooler for AM4 :) Now on box cooler from Phenom.
    ikevi wrote: »
    There wont see much more to see. Intel at least for years has sold their CPUs such that there is a decent gain to get by overclocking. The 1800x might get a ~200 hz gain...
    Didnt forget about intel overclock details:
    1) you need "K" version CPU (expensive). With ryzen you can buy 30+% cheaper than 1800x version cpu without locked overclock.
    2) you need top chipset motherboard(expensive too). Cheap am4 motherboards can overclock CPU too.
    3) intels CPU more hot, you need deliding, if you want good overclock + anyway is lucky depend. For example, my 4690k with stock cooling can get only 4.1ghz. 4.5ghz i get only after build custom watercooling system and deliding CPU. Ryzen can get 4.0 with box fan.
    Anyway. i think i next year AMD release zen refresh with better overclock potencial
  • IbNoobIbNoob
    Vindictus Rep: 1,055
    source engine has always been better on intel but the only time any of my amd cpu did with with it is when my fx 4130 was clocked to 4.8mhz and used brute force with mhz .. It is poor optimization over time that makes the game run not so good back in open bata i could max the game out with a amd x250 and a gtx260 would not want to try that now with that old pc hehe ... ............ Also AMD mother board are starting to get bios updates that are helping them so keep your eyes open for that
  • SamalenkoSamalenko
    Vindictus Rep: 1,475
    To think about my laptop could run MEA on semi-ultra settings and can't even get stable 60 fps with high settings in vindi #justvindithings
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    Didnt forget about intel overclock details:
    1) you need "K" version CPU (expensive). With ryzen you can buy 30+% cheaper than 1800x version cpu without locked overclock.
    2) you need top chipset motherboard(expensive too). Cheap am4 motherboards can overclock CPU too.
    3) intels CPU more hot, you need deliding, if you want good overclock + anyway is lucky depend. For example, my 4690k with stock cooling can get only 4.1ghz. 4.5ghz i get only after build custom watercooling system and deliding CPU. Ryzen can get 4.0 with box fan.
    Anyway. i think i next year AMD release zen refresh with better overclock potencial

Oh shush ;-)

I can buy from newegg easily a i7 7700 motherboard + CPU starting at 400. A 1800x + motherboard starts at 690.

You will get easily a 15% OC with the stock cooling no deliding. Deliding will give ~20%.

The 1800x will give you like a 5% improvement if you are lucky with the best cooler/MB.

Competition is good, but when all is said and done if you want the best CPU for gaming, even bang for buck it is Intel. (Again looking at the best CPUs)

If you go decide to compare to i5 then it might be a different story, but I haven't been following the 1600x much. (And not to mention the fact that none of the games out are optimized for AMD, so Intel wins ~20% on some games due to them being active with developers.)

Competition is great, but there is doubt that all it did was cause Intel prices to drop, but AMD still is behind Intel for games.

• CarinoCarino
    Vindictus Rep: 100
    edited April 3, 2017
    No need to lie. Do not advise as overclocking. 7700K accelerates as well as the rest 80 +% of processors in the world. 5000 MHz (+ 11 / + 19%) is a rarity. Talk about the top (!) Overclocking can children or someone who is not competent in this. You are not competent in compilers either. No need to lie that games are not compiled under the amd. It's naive.
    Ryzen 1700 can accelerate + 30%. Do not mix the overclocking of the top frequency cpu with low frequency! This applies to all processors.

Talk about the price is superfluous. 7700K is not a 2011 socket.
    About overclocking Intel. Try to overclock the 5960 / 6900K to a frequency of 7700K. Good luck. And he will also lose 7700K in single-threaded games. The price is 1000-1100 $.

4690K frequency + 21,8% relative to the test 1800х. Draw conclusions. Then look at the frequency of 7700K and 6900K and 1800x.

P.s. Sorry for bad English