[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Can't host without lag?

TheNewKaiTheNewKai
Vindictus Rep: 1,405
edited January 27, 2017 in General Discussion
I can play the game on med-high settings and run my own things at 50~FPS and join other parties with 40~fps, yet i turned my settings to lowest and was getting 10-15FPS when hosting glas. Why is that?
i3-4170
gtx 750ti
8gb ram

I used to be able to host just fine, even on med settings. So what the heck?

Comments

• hi5joshhi5josh
    Vindictus Rep: 2,010
    edited January 27, 2017
    This game runs off of a heavily modified Source Engine, and its not well optimized. When in parties and especially when hosting this will become apparent. The game only uses one thread as it was designed many years ago with old hardware in mind. Devcat has tried to fix hosting with "multi-core support" but that is still unpredictable and is not supported everywhere throughout the game. This game was ahead of its time upon release, and Devcat built it around a heavily modified source engine that was never designed for a physics game this complex. Since this game is CPU intensive (yet limited to one core/thread) and hardly uses any GPU resources, you can circumvent this by offloading as many of the game settings as possible on the GPU. So use your GPU's control panel and make an automated profile for the game. Set the settings as you wish to "over-ride in game settings" and then set those settings to minimal inside the game. I do this with Texture filtering and AA in the Nvidia Control Panel. However, with a fresh install of windows 10 and an overclocked i7-6700k I still average fps in the 20s while hosting. Its higher when in parties but never consistently 60fps.

i7-6700k
    GTX 970
    32GB 3000 MHz RAM
    Samsung 850 EVO
    1920x1080 @144Hz
    (regularly running a clean install/environment of Windows 10)
  • AcelAcel
    Vindictus Rep: 1,655
    edited July 29, 2017
  • BladehawkBladehawk
    Vindictus Rep: 1,145
    Be sure to turn off your UI. It literally doubles my FPS when I do.
  • Question2Question2
    Vindictus Rep: 3,235
    Yea blackcipher is dumb and eats CPU usage like crazy. Certain parts of the UI also eat FPS because all those buff icons for every single party member is updating once per second. Certain maps are also script intensive like Pantheum where the boss has to switch modes at certain intervals. Ive noticed Braha is definately laggier than say, Lord Glas for a similar reason.
  • DebahrDebahr
    Vindictus Rep: 1,300
    Lord Glas kills your FPS. However, I still get 45-60 FPS when hosting 8-man parties. Be sure to use multi-processing.
    Also, your CPU is kinda...meh for Vindictus.
    S3 maps, Pantheum, Enzo, and Juggernaut are notorious for bad FPS.
  • TheNewKaiTheNewKai
    Vindictus Rep: 1,405
    edited January 29, 2017
    It's not BlackCIpher, i was watching it while playing and it never went anywhere to the supposed 80% people are claiming to say.
  • ZezeZeze
    Vindictus Rep: 1,230
    this gaem is broken
  • CessaCessa
    Vindictus Rep: 1,680
    TheNewKai wrote: »
    I can play the game on med-high settings and run my own things at 50~FPS and join other parties with 40~fps, yet i turned my settings to lowest and was getting 10-15FPS when hosting glas. Why is that?
    i3-4170
    gtx 750ti
    8gb ram

I used to be able to host just fine, even on med settings. So what the heck?

Yeah, this isn't right.
    I built a computer for my friend with the i3 2120 and a GTX 650 ti.
    Both are clearly inferior to the i3 4170 and GTX 750 ti.

She can run and host Vindictus just fine. Solo she just mostly sits at 60fps.
    When she hosts raids of course she suffers with low 30s and 40s but still maintains just fine.
    And really, only raids like Pantheum, Juggernaut, and Regina are really bad for her hosting. But then, they're bad for everyone hosting unless you turn on multi-thread.

============

To the rest of the thread.
    Yes, Vindictus optimization sucks. But the setup the TC has shouldn't have a reducing ability to run the game as you reduce the settings and host Glas. I was not aware of Ancient Glas or regular Glas being really tough for the CPU to host. Hm...

Maybe another day I'll do some more testing with the 2120 and let you know.