[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Damage Reflection Information Thread

ElleaseEllease
Vindictus Rep: 1,625
edited May 8, 2017 in General Discussion
These tests were designed to test the effects of damage reflection.

Questions/Tests

What does damage reflection do?
Damage reflection adds a specific amount of damage to your next smash (not normals) after you have been hit with an attack. This amount varies according to the smash (one attack used 2 * damage reflection, another used 0.75 * damage reflection). Once applied, the damage reflection wears off until struck again.

Is there a window of time where your smash receives the damage reflection buff?
In terms of if you’re quick enough to attack with multiple smashes, there is no window. Damage reflect is just applied to the first smash. What I’m unsure of is if you have a certain period of time before the reflection wears off (and if one exists, it would likely be 10s, 30s, or 60s).

Does damage reflection apply to SP skills?
Yes, Execution received a damage buff of approximately 6-7x my damage reflection value.

Does getting hit by more than one attack increase the damage of your next hit?
No. Once you’ve been hit, your next smash becomes empowered for your damage reflect value. It doesn’t matter how hard you were hit, or if you were hit multiple times.

Does damage reflect apply to multiple hits of the same skill?
In short, no. In my tests using a particular multi-hit move (where damage is delayed between hits), the empowered hit only took place on the first instance of smash damage after being hit. I cannot verify this across all classes, but I assume it works similarly across all characters. However, I’m unsure what the results would be concerning skills that apply multiple instances instantly, such as Evie snaps.

Does damage reflect apply to blocked attacks?
No. If blocked/absorbed, no bonus is granted. Damage values were noticeably different between runs where I took damage and where I didn't.

Do normal attacks consume damage reflection?
This is a tough question that my initial round of testing was not able to determine. The easiest answer is they shouldn’t, though in some of my tests it seemed the damage reflect disappeared for some random reason and I wasn’t able to pinpoint a direct source to it. I’m lead to believe that normals that crit may apply the damage reflection, and may or may not test this theory later.

If I’m taking periodic damage (poison, etc), does that count to getting the bonus?
No, tested data matched up to regular (unempowered) smash values during a DoT debuff.

Is damage reflection affected by damage amplifiers?
Yes. Damage reflection bonuses can crit, and seem to be affected by other damage amplifiers such as Revenge. Theoretical crit values compared to recorded results were within a couple points of damage, likely just due to rounding.

Unexplained occurrences (likely bugs)
-In some tests, I took damage and immediately followed up with a smash that received no damage reflection bonus.
-After being hit, I swung normals on the boss and the first smash against him sometimes was empowered while other times it was not.
-The damage formula seems wonky. I used 90 balance for nearly all testing, and was under the impression that damage is calculated at every 1 balance step (so results for 90, 91, through 100). I then found out it’s actually 0.5 balance steps… but what became odd was I’d rarely get hits that appeared below the 90 balance range, but lined up perfectly at like an 88, 88.5, or 89 balance value. I have absolutely no explanation for this phenomenon.

Formulas
The following points will be used to explain formulas, since exact formulas are unknown.
-Damage occurs at a random value between your balance and 100 balance, at 0.5 balance intervals. We have estimates of the damage formula, but no exact one is known and is irrelevant for data purposes.
-Base damage (BD) is considered a non-critical occurrence of damage. If you have 90 balance, there should be 21 different base damages.
-Critical damage (CD) is the damage done when a critical strike has occurred. There should also be 21 different values corresponding with the bases detailed above.
-Empowered base damage (EB) is an attack that has damage reflection applied to it.
-Empowered critical damage (EC) is an attack that has critically struck with damage reflection applied.
-Skill Multiplier (SM) refers to the amount of damage reflection that is applied to a particular attack. Although I have no need to test every skill out to find its multiplier, this is a constant.

CD: BD * 1.95
EB: BD + (damage reflection * SM)
EC: 1.95 * (BD + (damage reflection * SM)), or EB * 1.95 for short
Amplified Damage (AD; such as Revenge) is applied to damage reflect, such as empowered critical attack with a damage amplifier looks like: AD*1.95*EB

Execute SM: 2
Massacre SM: 0.75
Execution SM: Between 6 and 7

Edit 1: Further testing showed Revenge does not apply to damage reflection.
Edit 2: Reformatted post and made some slight adjustments to information regarding damage amplifiers
Edit 3: Awakening durability wore off, Revenge damage amplification does apply
EnigmaTaroSekaiizPrototypemindMochiSweetSirRFI

Comments

• LavonneLavonne
    Vindictus Rep: 1,645
    So basically this stat is imbalanced. Hard hitting classes will get more damage boost because the skill multipliers of their smashes are high while spammer classes (chain, spears, arisha) will get very low damage boosts out of damage reflect.

Bloody Thread 's multiplier (hits around 8k) x damage reflection > Hailstorm's multiplier (hits around 2k) x damage reflection.

They should just make the damage boost a fixed number, so both chain Vellas with 2k smashes and hammer Fionas with 30k Stigmas will get the same boost. Otherwise, it's really broken.
  • ElleaseEllease
    Lavonne wrote: »
    So basically this stat is imbalanced. Hard hitting classes will get more damage boost because the skill multipliers of their smashes are high while spammer classes (chain, spears, arisha) will get very low damage boosts out of damage reflect.

Bloody Thread 's multiplier (hits around 8k) x damage reflection > Hailstorm's multiplier (hits around 2k) x damage reflection.

They should just make the damage boost a fixed number, so both chain Vellas with 2k smashes and hammer Fionas with 30k Stigmas will get the same boost. Otherwise, it's really broken.

Already the case. Damage Reflection is not tied to the actual number of the skill multiplier from the damage formula. If it was, the numbers I would have obtained wouldn't have been as clean as they were (the damage formula is very messy). Although I'm not sure where the multipliers for an individual skill's damage reflection conversion ratio come from, the bonus damage is added to the base damage, not multiplied. For 500 damage reflection, Bloody Thread might add 1000 damage while Hailstorm could add 500 through 6000. The numbers don't follow a particular pattern yet.
    On the other hand, based on the numbers I did test, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Bloody Thread's damage reflection ratio is higher than Hailstorm's anyway.
  • MochiSweetMochiSweet
    Vindictus Rep: 3,050
    "Does damage reflect apply to blocked attacks?
    No. If blocked/absorbed, no bonus is granted. This was actually very easy to observe, since in a particular test I was gathering damage values for blocked hits and the two times I actually failed to block, the damage results fell into my theoretical calculated numbers almost exactly.
    "

so we already got the nerfed version of dmg reflection ? because in KR block/absorb also granted the buff before some KR streamers informed that it got nerfed with recent patch.
    not sure if its the case then which class get benefit from this stat.
  • JynXiJynXi
    Vindictus Rep: 2,025
    Can you make the 'questions' < bold > ?

This is barely readable.
  • ElleaseEllease
    edited May 8, 2017
    MochiSweet wrote: »
    so we already got the nerfed version of dmg reflection ? because in KR block/absorb also granted the buff before some KR streamers informed that it got nerfed with recent patch.
    not sure if its the case then which class get benefit from this stat.

As shown in the other thread, there were claims that blocking works (Amber). Although I don't have access to an Evie with Damage Reflection to test if Amber works differently than Charge/Blockade, here were the results of my blocking test (as of April 2017 patch).

With no damage reflection, Decimate did 3739 to 4072 damage (this range is incomplete and some abnormalities were noted in the initial post), depending on the balance roll. Decimate crits at 7292 through 7942.
    Revenge, a +60% damage amplifier per stack which occurs when blocking, would have the following theoretically ranges.
    -1 stack, non crit: 5982 through 6515 (using base values of 3739 through 4072, multiplied by 1.6)
    -1 stack, crit: 11665 through 12704 (same bases, multiplied by 1.6*1.95)
    -2 stacks, non crit: 8225 through 8958 (same bases, multiplied by 2.2)
    -2 stacks, crit: 16040 through 17468 (same bases, multiplied by 2.2*1.95)
    Empowered hits with no revenge stacks were recorded from 4940 through 5256 for non-crits, and 9634 through 10284 for crits. Using recorded base damages from no damage reflection, then adding 1220 (which is two times my reflection amount, 610) gave theoretical empowered hits that matched recorded empowered hits within 2 damage.

Here are some of the raw data points where I specifically took at least one hit and then smashed with one Revenge stack:
    8017 - E R
    8101 - E R
    8185 - E R
    8270 - E R
    8298 - E R
    8354 - E R

15798 - E R
    15907 - E R
    16181 - E R

Here are results when I didn't take any hits outside of charge/blockade, while wearing my damage reflect set:
    12542 - 1 Revenge
    6010 - 1 Revenge
    11995 - 1 Revenge
    6460 - 1 Revenge
    6348 - 1 Revenge
    8380 - 2 Revenge
    16869 - 2 Revenge
    6151 - 1 Revenge
    11776 - 1 Revenge
    6516 - 1 Revenge
    6290 - 1 Revenge
    6178 - 1 Revenge
    11995 - 1 Revenge

At no point did I get a damage reflect empowered attack in the scenario where I played to block everything.
    MochiSweet
  • elcausaelcausa
    Vindictus Rep: 1,240
    I was asked that before and no amber does not trigger damage reflect, I did testing in titan after getting the dullness debuff to get more consistent numbers and it didn't trigger after blocking with amber