[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

Vindictus Pumpkin Carving Contest [ Winners]

SaygoSaygo
Vindictus Rep: 6,450
Posts: 246
Member, Administrator
edited November 1, 2016 in Archived Contests
Hi everyone!

This was a really fun Halloween Contest! I would like to thank everyone who participated. We had a total of 14 contestants. The judges decided to add an additional winner, so there will be 6 finalists in total! Here we go!
Winner #1:akimboejoe
image
Winner #2:phiera
image
Winner #3:dokkun
image
Winner #4:GhengisJohn
image
Winner #5:ravenwalking
image
Winner #6:plankingluigi
image

I believe all the winners have included their IGN and server, if not I will PM you for the information. We will get these prizes out to you by next week!
AndromedaGMOrder5SpazKatGhengisJohnDelterosAkimbojoe

Comments

  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 12
    Member
    Oh yay thanks! Hard work payed off, haha. It was a really nerve wracking contest with all the amazing entries. So much talent on Vindictus.
    I'm surprised the Succubi and Lako didn't win. The technical and artistic skill used in them were amazing. :o
    SpiderGhengisJohnBloodAngel
  • KiwaKiwa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,160
    Posts: 92
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016


    All that hard work..... And nothing to really show for it.
    Quite depressing, thanks Nexon.

    So much for that judging criteria.
    PhieraSpiderBloodAngel
  • AkimbojoeAkimbojoe
    Vindictus Rep: 520
    Posts: 9
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    I'm happy with the prize, thanks. Besides, I needed to carve another jack-o-lantern anyhow. I only had this one:

    image

    And I love any opportunity to do anything creative. Besides, in a week or two all the pumpkins everyone carved for Halloween will be mush anyhow, lol.

    Thanks for the event Nexon, I had fun.

    ArellaRothDokkunDelterosKatlynn
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn
    Vindictus Rep: 2,100
    Posts: 134
    Member
    edited November 2, 2016
    Thank you guys, and I'm grateful to everyone who liked my pumpkin. Saygo, do you think you guys could use the second, clearer picture of my pumpkin in the announcement?
    Phiera
    Phiera said:

    Oh yay thanks! Hard work payed off, haha. It was a really nerve wracking contest with all the amazing entries. So much talent on Vindictus.
    I'm surprised the Succubi and Lako didn't win. The technical and artistic skill used in them were amazing. :o
    I really liked your pumpkin man.

    Edit: Because there's no update with the clearer picture 'm just gonna put it up myself in this thread. It just shows the pumpkin off better.
    image
    DelterosAqua22clickhere
  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 12
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    GhengisJohn

    I really liked your pumpkin man.
    Thanks! I liked yours too. It was already amazing when it was blurry, but when you posted the better, clearer photo, ohhh mann. I'd be so mad if you didn't win. Was rooting for you to win even though it was a contest :P
    GhengisJohn
  • ravenwalkingravenwalking
    Vindictus Rep: 1,155
    Posts: 45
    Member
    OMG yay my gremlin won! Thanks for everything!
  • AkimbojoeAkimbojoe
    Vindictus Rep: 520
    Posts: 9
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    Calli
    Calli said:



    All that hard work..... And nothing to really show for it.
    Quite depressing, thanks Nexon.

    So much for that judging criteria.

    I think part of the problem with yours was how small the pumpkin was in relation to the rest of the room. I think if you'd have gotten closer to the pumpkin so that it took up the majority of the image instead of a small area in the middle, you'd have had a much better chance of winning. It was a cool pumpkin though from what I could see.

    Was yours a traditional carving where you take out pieces of the pumpkin to let light shine through holes (like Dokkun, Ravenwalking) or was it shaved down to let light shine through the skin (like mine, Genghis, Phiera,Planking Luigi)?

    One time I submitted a version of The Last Supper to the Peep Show Easter contest the Washington Post runs and I didn't even get into the honorable mentions. The camera I used was really crappy though, and thinking back I'm pretty sure that's why.
  • KiwaKiwa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,160
    Posts: 92
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016

    Uhm excuse me? The picture is fine, sure it could have been better. It's not like you can't make out what it is suppose to be. It's a huge picture, I did not crop it. I guess I could have cropped the picture, so only the pumpkin was showing, however in the disclaimer it said to have a resolution of no less than 1900 x 1200. Which I followed.
    You can click and see everything, maybe not as super clear to see the tiny details, but still good enough..
    It's combination of carving and shaving.

    I am just disappointed in how they handle the criteria, why have one if you aren't going to force it. One of the winners just doesn't cut it, lack of creativity and artistic skill and I'm sure everyone can notice how bland and boring theirs is compared to the other winners..

    Harsh to say, but it's the hard truth.

    Thanks for the feedback, I guess.
  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 12
    Member
    Calli
    Calli said:


    Uhm excuse me? The picture is fine, sure it could have been better. It's not like you can't make out what it is suppose to be. It's a huge picture, I did not crop it. I guess I could have cropped the picture, so only the pumpkin was showing, however in the disclaimer it said to have a resolution of no less than 1900 x 1200. Which I followed.
    You can click and see everything, maybe not as detailed as some, but still good enough..
    It's combination of carving and shaving.

    I am just disappointed in how they handle the criteria, why have one if you aren't going to force it. One of the winners just doesn't cut it, lack of creativity and artistic skill and I'm sure everyone can notice how bland and boring theirs is compared to the other winners..

    Harsh to say, but it's the hard truth.

    Thanks for the feedback, I guess.
    I actually thought the picture was fine. I could see the details. I really liked the Succubus. You did a really great job on it. I don't think I could've pulled off carving a human face, haha.

  • KiwaKiwa
    Vindictus Rep: 2,160
    Posts: 92
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    Phiera
    Phiera said:

    Calli
    Calli said:


    Uhm excuse me? The picture is fine, sure it could have been better. It's not like you can't make out what it is suppose to be. It's a huge picture, I did not crop it. I guess I could have cropped the picture, so only the pumpkin was showing, however in the disclaimer it said to have a resolution of no less than 1900 x 1200. Which I followed.
    You can click and see everything, maybe not as detailed as some, but still good enough..
    It's combination of carving and shaving.

    I am just disappointed in how they handle the criteria, why have one if you aren't going to force it. One of the winners just doesn't cut it, lack of creativity and artistic skill and I'm sure everyone can notice how bland and boring theirs is compared to the other winners..

    Harsh to say, but it's the hard truth.

    Thanks for the feedback, I guess.
    I actually thought the picture was fine. I could see the details. I really liked the Succubus. You did a really great job on it. I don't think I could've pulled off carving a human face, haha.


    Thank you though~ Yes doing a humanoid character was a bit hard, first time carving a pumpkin! Wanted to do something creative and a little challenging *Sigh* So that why I'm a little upset.

    Anyway I love yours and my good friend PlankingLuigi's. You two did Gnoll Chieftain Twins. Very cute.
  • PlankingLuigiPlankingLuigi
    Vindictus Rep: 695
    Posts: 9
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    Awesome! Thanks for the opportunity, Nexon. Was pretty nervous about this because it was my first time ever carving a pumpkin. Though, I will say, I am shocked to see some of the favorite entries weren't on the winning list... :( really was hoping for the Lakoria and Succubus Queen to be considered as well since it clearly looks like a lot of effort and time was put into it.
    SpiderPhierakimbo
  • SpiderSpider
    Vindictus Rep: 710
    Posts: 6
    Member
    I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the different pumpkin designs people made! As it was previously mentioned in a comment towards the Succubus Queen, I do not see why camera quality would have an impact toward a judges scoring, having money to buy an expensive high quality camera should not influence how the pumpkin is judged unless the picture is indistinguishable. Picture quality was not one of the three criteria.

    I was very impressed with Braha. I was actually surprised that the Succubus Queen was not considered, as it seemed to fit the theme so well.

    However, I would like some feedback from the gms/judges who reviewed this competition. I would also like my scoring in each criteria, to possibly help me in future events.
    PhieraPlankingLuigikimbo
  • DokkunDokkun
    Vindictus Rep: 1,490
    Posts: 102
    Member
    edited November 1, 2016
    :v im actually surprised to see my kitchen counter up there, thanks or everyone who thought mine was okay ;7;/ tbh id love any tips for carving and shaving if anyone wants to give them out!

    Also i feel like most people just used their phones lol thats what i did!
  • PhieraPhiera
    Vindictus Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 12
    Member
    PlankingLuigi

    Though, I will say, I am shocked to see some of the favorite entries weren't on the winning list... :( really was hoping for the Lakoria and Succubus Queen to be considered as well since it clearly looks like a lot of effort and time was put into it.
    Yeah, I'm also surprised some of my favourites didn't make it as well. I actually thought there'd be a lot more spots made available in the winners bracket or an honourable mentions section because of how many amazing entries there were and how much work it takes to actually carve a pumpkin. I don't think a lot of us who aren't used to carving expected it to be this difficult to create something. Like my Gnoll was actually my second attempt at carving for the contest because my first one was disastrous LOL.

  • PlankingLuigiPlankingLuigi
    Vindictus Rep: 695
    Posts: 9
    Member
    Phiera
    Phiera said:

    PlankingLuigi

    Though, I will say, I am shocked to see some of the favorite entries weren't on the winning list... :( really was hoping for the Lakoria and Succubus Queen to be considered as well since it clearly looks like a lot of effort and time was put into it.
    Yeah, I'm also surprised some of my favourites didn't make it as well. I actually thought there'd be a lot more spots made available in the winners bracket or an honourable mentions section because of how many amazing entries there were and how much work it takes to actually carve a pumpkin. I don't think a lot of us who aren't used to carving expected it to be this difficult to create something. Like my Gnoll was actually my second attempt at carving for the contest because my first one was disastrous LOL.

    I do agree that there should have been honorable mentions..
    Also that was your second time carving a pumpkin? That's impressive! Carving a pumpkin as you said is no easy feat for us newbies. For me, I stared at the design I wanted to and went, how the hell am I supposed to do this? Had my best friend to help me out though: trusty X-acto knife.....and.... hack and slashed it. LOL.
    Your gnoll chieftain pet was cute! Glad you won as well.
    PhieraBloodAngel
  • MrSithMrSith
    Vindictus Rep: 1,220
    Posts: 25
    Member
    edited November 2, 2016
    How is there a winner's list if the contest is still ongoing...

    EDIT:

    image submitted an entry exactly 1 minute before the official deadline...can we at least get judged? I thought our idea was really cool even if we're not as technically skilled as some of the winners :(
    Phiera
  • SpazKatSpazKat
    Vindictus Rep: 1,660
    Posts: 50
    Member
    aww so cool. grats everyone. :)
  • SaygoSaygo
    Vindictus Rep: 6,450
    Posts: 246
    Member, Administrator
    edited November 2, 2016
    Hi everyone! First off I would like to apologize for ending the contest early. That was a mistake that I will make sure does not happen again. As an apology we will be awarding all contestants 5 Halloween Gold Pouches.
    Akimbojoe
  • AkimbojoeAkimbojoe
    Vindictus Rep: 520
    Posts: 9
    Member
    Saygo
    Saygo said:

    Hi everyone! First off I would like to apologize for ending the contest early. That was a mistake that I will make sure does not happen again. As an apology we will be awarding all contestants 5 Halloween Gold Pouches.
    Yay!

  • SpiderSpider
    Vindictus Rep: 710
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Great to see that MrSith's entry was acknowledged! I thought the idea was pretty creative. Wondering if the rest of the posts including my own will be addressed.
    Phiera
This discussion has been closed.