[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

Nexon KR fined by Korean FTC over gacha scheme

Comments

• SabinFigaro5SabinFigaro5
    Vindictus Rep: 300
    I only read like 2 pages of this thread, but screw it, I'm gonna make this post anyway.

I was reading this heated exchange about "Random" and thinking about the meaning. In a way, both sides arguing are correct in certain aspects.
    If all the items in one of these boxes were truly "random", they would have an equal chance of being obtained (I think Deprived's point).
    However, over the years and for many game devs, it seems the word random has come to mean "using a random number generator". Hence, we have games with "random/randomized loot", yet the loot obviously has rarity and you see commons more than ultra rares (RobertLivia's point here). Yet colloquially, people will still refer to that loot as random. However, they are not "truly random". I think the word "truly" has to be used in the case to refer to the equal distribution definition, because it feels like "random" holds these two separate definitions: equally distributed vs utilizing a random number generator.

Anywho, just my two cents on a matter that might already have been closed, because I didn't bother to read the other 4 pages.
This discussion has been closed.