[NEW MERCENARIES] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

When should I be using absolute fury?

cyboraxcyborax
Vindictus Rep: 520
in Lann
As a spear lann, I never find myself using sprint dash very often, nor do I see many videos of spear lann solos using sprint dash too often. I mostly just spam moonsplitter ---> dodge ---> back to moonsplitter and repeat. Should I even bother using aboslute fury/when should I use it?

Comments

• JeyemJeyem
    Vindictus Rep: 1,675
    if caught in an AOE can use it to get out quicker
  • SefSef
    Vindictus Rep: 1,310
    Personally I find absolute fury is way too fast to use in normal combos (happens when you have 97 speed).
    The Lann in this video makes good use of it as an evasion tool.
    cyborax
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    edited February 27, 2018
    Just use it for fun whenever you want. From what I see most any combo of attacks now give about the same dps, so there isn't much of a reason to freak out about the "best" moves to use. MS with slashing high/face tank still will give you best over all dps (Especially with stim/trans)... but that is just because it is nearly impossible to catch every single crit/aim correctly if you just glide spam.

And for evading... we never needed it before, but feel free to use it if you want. (Spears I still prefer to manage a lightening... or roll instead. And without the delay those moves are even better than they were before.)
    cyborax
  • ArxisArxis
    Vindictus Rep: 885
    edited February 28, 2018
    Sprint smash is very useful. Absolute fury is useful as well, but more beneficial to Spear Lanns. Absolute fury covers incredible range very quickly. Although the cost of absolute fury is 50 SP, you will still gain 25 SP if the absolute fury connects. It is exactly like regular gliding fury. Sword Lanns rely on a percentage-based crit to get a lightning fury off of absolute fury. Spear Lanns have that option too, but in the event that absolute fury does not crit, they can moonsplitter as a secondary/back-up option. It also lets you bypass the first 3 normal attacks to get to moonsplitter, so you can immediately start chaining combos. Ex. Absolute fury (no crit) -> Moonsplitter -> Gliding Fury -> Lightning Fury.

Sprint smash does the exact same damage as dodge rolling into the boss, except without the benefit of iframes. Dodge rolling or sprint smashing is the fastest way for spear lanns to get a crit. Sprint smash has a slightly longer range than dodge roll, but also a much bigger hitbox. The usefulness of sprint smash comes from the width of the attack's hitbox as it has the ability to graze the boss with the side of your weapon. When you sprint smash the side of the boss, you can gliding fury the same direction to make the boss turn even further before they turn to face you. You sort of juke the boss, if that makes sense.

For sprint smash demonstrations, I'll post a video and list some timestamps on instances where I use sprint smash. Just to give a better perspective on the hitbox of the sprint smash, take note at 16:23. I sprint smash literally away from the boss, but the hit still connects, so I was able to get a gliding fury off of the critical sprint smash. The hitbox of sprint smash will hit behind you as long as you are in contact range of the boss. Also, at 1:09 and 11:20, I used gliding fury as an evasive maneuver since Succubus Queen was about to attack, but take note of the sprint smash hitbox.

Sprint Smash timestamps
    1:09
    2:05
    2:36
    3:01
    10:03
    11:20
    14:00
    15:28
    16:23
    cyboraxmisakamisaka
  • ikeviikevi
    Vindictus Rep: 3,670
    While he didn't mention it... It really should be pointed out that for every sprint smash Arxis used, he tried start a combo with a LLR (sudden shock) ~5x times more frequent. I tend to do the the same if it is a fast moving boss like succubus queen, where you want to crit and need to get away if need be. (He also went right into hurricane very often, similar reasons.)

Sudden shock covers a lot more area to allow you to hit the queen, can be rolled out of instantly at any point for dodge/crit/glid and just is one of the best moves to use when attempting to avoiding getting hit ;-)

Sprint Smash is just something to toss into the mix and honestly isn't going to be your go to move unless you just want to force it to be. (That said in PvP it is fun to toss it in since folks tend to forget about it... Not that I PvP much.)

Though lets be honest half of the fun with tossing in the different moves is just to mix things up.

cyborax
  • cyboraxcyborax
    Vindictus Rep: 520
    Wow, I had no idea this move had so many uses. Guess it's time to practice using it... Thank you everyone for the help! :)